MG conversions do work!

MG conversions do work! was created by mgfelectric

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207653
I converted my MGF to all-electric in 2009. It still works, is on the original Li-ion battery cells (just 4 out of 90 replaced in 15-years) and I enjoy it in the summer months. It's still a great drive!
The project was very well written up at the time by Practical Classics Magazine - if there is interest, I'll try and put it on this forum. Also, no cutting/welding was involved, just holes and bolts.
I was going to do a 2nd project using a MGTF, but changed my mind and converted a classic 1960 speedboat to electric instead! (because I couldn't drive 2 cars at once).
I do still have an MGTF rear-subframe complete, cleaned, painted and prepared ready for a motor and batteries/inverter/etc to be mounted, plus a suitable manual gearbox/half-shafts (just set in 3rd gear) and other bits if someone wants to make an offer - picture attached. It's a great project to do - I estimated my ROI at 5-years, so not too bad. Feel free to ask questions/advice.

Last Edit:1 month 3 weeks ago by mgfelectric
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73, Bertl, Airportable, LRBen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by judiths handyman on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207659
15 years before the cyberster, that aint bad. I wonder, what is the estimated top speed? 0-60 figure and how long does it take to charge?
Last Edit:1 month 3 weeks ago by judiths handyman
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by judiths handyman. Reason: poor spelling

Replied by mowog73 on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207666

The project was very well written up at the time by Practical Classics Magazine - if there is interest, I'll try and put it on this forum. Also, no cutting/welding was involved, just holes and bolts.

Yes, please do post the article if you can.

[size=10pt]Mark[/size]
95 MGF

by mowog73

Replied by Notanumber on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207667
Yes please. It will be a really good read.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Cobber on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207669
There is a member of the T-bar " markymark" based in Geelong here in Oz that has done an electric conversion.
I don't think he has been active for a while.
https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/ev-conversions/97320-aussie-electric-mgf-conversion#195038

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Replied by mgfelectric on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207756
Top speed is over 90mph comfortably. 0-60 about 10 secs. Designed for overnight charging on off-peak electricity at 2kW from standard domestic socket. Range 80 miles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Replied by mgfelectric on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207760
Practical Classics MGF Electric story
Last Edit:1 month 1 week ago by mgfelectric
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73, Airportable

Replied by judiths handyman on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207764
That's very impressive.
Congrats.

Replied by Airportable on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207769
I can’t remember which pan I had to duck last time I brought the thought of my buying another f to do just this.
I’ve the space (just), I’ve the knowledge, the equipment to make, mend & modify. I’ve enough contacts who might help source the parts. Tesla bits are favourites for these jobs, they are also the most expensive. It wouldn’t be a racing car, so a Leaf as a donor would be of interest.
My wife had now had both cataract done & vision is much improved, it therefore follows that her aim will have improved also, I think I’ll keep these thoughts to myself.
At seventy+ one has to consider how long it might take bring it to fruition & how those who are “left behind” would deal with second Mad Dad Mobile
M

Replied by Notanumber on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 1 month 6 days ago #207822
I love the engineering that goes into these conversions but for me the parts just seem too expensive to justify. £ 12k is certainly too far beyond the cost threshold for me.

I would certainly be interested if it were practical to repurpose most of the necessary parts from a crash damaged EV that could be picked up for £3 or £4 k with maybe another £ 500 for odd materials plus the cost of a donor non runner F/ TF .

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last Edit:1 month 6 days ago by Notanumber
Last edit: 1 month 6 days ago by Notanumber.

Replied by LRBen on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208006

I love the engineering that goes into these conversions but for me the parts just seem too expensive to justify. £ 12k is certainly too far beyond the cost threshold for me.

I would certainly be interested if it were practical to repurpose most of the necessary parts from a crash damaged EV that could be picked up for £3 or £4 k with maybe another £ 500 for odd materials plus the cost of a donor non runner F/ TF .

£3-4k is probably around the cost of materials these days to convert a small car like an  MGF. In the last couple of years especially the cost of batteries have dropped through the floor as the new generation of EVs start getting written off.
The two EV conversions I have done/currently in the middle of since my MG I have spent more on restoration than conversion.

by LRBen

Replied by Airportable on topic MG conversions do work!

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208009
There was an f on eBay with a Tesla motor fitted & other bits up for £800. I was sorely tempted.
M

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds