Newbie from Morecambe

Replied by D4KGP on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #208181
Hi its true that you need patience to fill/top up the oil via indirect, but I'm sure that most know that its a little faster/easier with the dip stick removed. As you are going to do the coolant you'll need to remove the engine cover so you can do an oil refill then. so much easier.
Regards from a new comer on this site. D4KGP (Glyn)
by D4KGP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Airportable on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #208183
D4KGP, is that your call sign? There have been a number of members using their call signs on here as an identification nom de plume. Anyway thanks for coming & please stay, if you’re handy with a soldering iron there’s bags of scope for inventive additions.
Are you “f”ing around or “tf”ing around?
M

Posted 2 weeks 8 hours ago #208203
Yep, that's my call sign as you put it, my name is Glyn. Yes both F & soon to be TF also. Check my latest post.
Regards D4KGP (Glyn)
by D4KGP

Replied by Speedg99 on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #208228
Attempted the seat height reduction at the weekend. I removed the seat and found some wires cobbled together which looked a little naff, not sure I need to worry about?
I assume it's related to the seat belt restraint system thingies? I have no dash warning lights about it.
Regarding the seat height I found a very simple solution 🤔 which I should have figured out sooner beforei took the buggers out. I raised the back rest to vertical and the seat went back 2 or so extra inches. Then reclined it and gave me the extra cabin space I needed.
I also popped out the old stereo as the digital screen is past it's best.

The one main issues i have is the horns. They were both disconnected. I plugged them in and pressed the button and nothing. Should i be concerned why they were unplugged in the first place? Ive not done any further investigations yet as still looking were to start on this new problem 
Last Edit:1 week 3 days ago by Speedg99
Last edit: 1 week 3 days ago by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted pics

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #208230
If there disconnected, take a pair of wires from your battery & connect them, momentarily, to the horn, do observe polarity, although it’s not critical. Toot is tremendous, however you’ve got more hunting to do if all is silent & that could include looking at the red box behind the drivers side fuse board.
I recommended replacing this box to a chap who had no horn (poor thing) & it turned out not to be the box but two duff horns. If you have tested the horns then you’ll not get tangled up in that loop.
That wiring is rubbish, cut it out & use some terminal block until you find the correct connector. You have an early f, try & find one of a tf or a Rover 35 etc.
M

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #208231
Hi I'm surprised that you don't have any warning lights on with regard to that under seat wiring, they are part of the SRS system and if there is not a sound connection the SRS YELLOW warning light will come on in the dash as soon as the ignition is switched on. Disconnect them then switch ignition on to check if the warning light comes on, it should do if the system is working.
Regards D4KGP (Glyn)
by D4KGP

Replied by BruceTF135 on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208286
Just a word of warning re SRS (Suplementary Restraint System - airbag and seatbelt pre-tensioners), don't muck around with anything to do with the SRS without having disconnected the battery and leaving it for a while first.

Early cars have different connectors under the seat from later cars. It could be that somebody replaced the seats at some point and soldered the wires in preference to swapping the pre-tensioners.

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208287
Very true, I'm sorry but I forgot to mention that.
by D4KGP

Posted 1 week 10 hours ago #208290
Morning,
so I'm off work today and thought I'd have a look at the horns not working. Tested both horns direct to the battery, low as heck!! 
checked the horn connector and both read 0.16 volts when the ignition is on but nothing changes when i press the steering wheel button. 
also check the fuses under the bonnet and all as lovely.
Where should I look next?   
Last Edit:4 days 5 hours ago by Speedg99
Last edit: 4 days 5 hours ago by David Aiketgate.

Posted 1 week 10 hours ago #208291
UPDATE!
Plugged the horns in and pressed the lock on the fob and they alarms sounded 

Posted 1 week 7 hours ago #208294
A while ago one of our chums had a horn problem (I can hear Cobber sniggering from here), I advised changing the red control box, mounted behind the fuse board under the steering wheel.
When I bought my car I was a member of your very elite no horn club, it turned out to be a relay in the little red box.
I changed it & all had been well; that wasn’t the case with our other friend.
I’m away at the moment & I’m without diagrams, I’ll go no further than that & hope you make progress.
M

Posted 1 week 6 hours ago #208295
A red fuse box under the steering wheel? I didn't know there was one there, I'll go and check. 
thank you

Time to create page: 0.528 seconds