Newbie from Morecambe

Replied by Speedg99 on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208296
Found the fuse box.
swapped the relay. What a fiddly job getting that out!
same result sadly.
Last Edit:1 week 1 day ago by Speedg99
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by D4KGP on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208304
Yep they are a real pain to get out.
by D4KGP

Replied by Airportable on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208306
No not a red fuse box, but a red box attached to the rear of the fuse box sub chassis. It’s far from easy to get to & if you decide to bite the bullet, make sure you have a replacement in your hot little hand before you start. Take pictures & be methodical.
M

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208307
There was a bit of post overlap there. By the time my post got through it was obsolete!!
You’ve got to be studying the circuits now & following wiring through. The electrical library is useful with stuff like this, if you read the preamble at the beginning of that section you’ll learn how to use that part of the technical library. Once you sort that collection of information out jobs become more manageable.
M

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208308
It sounds like a job for a professional. I may rig up a red neck horn to get it through the MOT as the local auto electrician is busy till October.

Replied by BruceTF135 on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 3 days ago #208312
This problem with the horn.  Have you been able to check the rotary coupler in the steering wheel?   There is a video on YouTube.

Posted 1 week 3 days ago #208316
Many thanks for the link. I'll pop the wheel off and have a look.
The coupler wouldn't explain why the alarm sounds as soon as I lock the car. I assumed the horn not working and the alarm sounding where linked ?

Posted 1 week 3 days ago #208322
Hi Airportable, is it's the part numbered 67 on this drawing that you are referring to?

Posted 1 week 3 days ago #208324
Yes that’s the monkey. They’re a sod to get out & you have to be methodical, don’t just pull once you have the fixing hardware removed.
This job was the first “technical” job I did having just bought it. It had a long MOT & absolutely no chance of passing one if I were to have offered it up for test on the day money changed hands; the horn was just one failure point.
As I have mentioned I have recommended changing this unit to others, with varying degrees of success, it was however the fault on mine with no shadow of a doubt. They were buttons when I bought my replacement, as with all parts, “The only way it up”.
Bitz’ is in all probability your best bet.
M

Replied by BruceTF135 on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #208330

Many thanks for the link. I'll pop the wheel off and have a look.
The coupler wouldn't explain why the alarm sounds as soon as I lock the car. I assumed the horn not working and the alarm sounding where linked ?
 Ah!  I wasn't fully understanding the complexity of the problem.  The alarm is sounded with the horns so my logic was that if the horns themselves work and the fuse is OK the rotary coupler was possibly faulty.  I had thought that the alarm sounding when you lock the car might have been the sort of blipping that car alarms used to make all the time when they were armed.  In my '04 TF, there is a fair bit it clicking and the hazard lights do a bit of flashing when I set the alarm.

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #208333
I’ve managed to pull up a circuit diagram & although it’s a bit, no, it’s a lot of a squint, if the horn honks with the alarm, then the relay in the multifunction unit must be closed. This implies a circuit from the fuse, through the relay in the MFU, allowing the voltage enabled by the alarm to sound the horn.
The horn buttons are in parallel with the alarm & so the clock spring assembly should be checked.
You have a meter, set it to continuity & with one end to ground & the other to the header 0288 (K109), press the horn button & you should get a reading of the spring is working.
I can’t help you with the header whereabouts, I’m still on holiday & working on my phone!
M

Replied by Notanumber on topic Newbie from Morecambe

Posted 1 week 7 hours ago #208364
I have a spare MFU,  You are welcome to borrow it to try if you cover my postage.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds