Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Replied by TA22GT on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 3 days 19 hours ago #208873
I just found this on YT.  I'm not affiliated in any way but it will give you some insight in to a coolant alarm system.

Coolant Alarm.
by TA22GT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MGB281 on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 2 days 19 hours ago #208874
There numerous ways to a low coolant warning alarm, this is what I used for a replacement expansion tank, they are better made than the MG one and are fitted with two prongs for sensing the coolant level, some vendors include the plug and a length of wire as this one does.
VW Volkswagen Polo 6R Coolant Reservoir Expansion Tank Fluid Bottle 6Q0121407B
Completed
I used the LOW water level version of this HIGH level alarm;
High Water Level Silent Alarm With Random Colour Flashing LED 12V
Buy It Now
The seller will list one if you ask, because I have lost all of my high frequency hearing a buzzer is of no use to me but they  do make one with a buzzer. Installation is simple, after mounting the tank with a short strip of metal for a bracket, you then connect the two white wire (they need to be extended to reach) to the expansion tank plug, then a source of power (I got mine from the USB charger that replaced the cigarette lighter)  and fit the warning light. I placed the light in one of the switch blanks in front of the gearlever, when the LED flashes in alternating colours you will certainly see it. I got the idea from someone on the MGF Register
by MGB281
The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF, TA22GT

Replied by Cobber on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 2 days 17 hours ago #208875

I just found this on YT.  I'm not affiliated in any way but it will give you some insight in to a coolant alarm system.

Coolant Alarm.

That is the Browns & Gammon unit, which I have, it is excellent, very easy to fit and  over 10+ yrs has not given me any trouble or false alarms.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF

Replied by Airportable on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 2 days 6 hours ago #208879
I’ve used the VW tank for more years than I care to remember & apart from the blue screw top interfering with the cat flap when topping up, it’s fit & forget.
Fit & forget, that is until someone points out that the blowoff value of the cap is greater than the designed pressure of the original.
I then have a week of worrying until the thought fades again.
As our friend says a simple angled bracket & a little rearranging of the plumbing & it’s fine.
How the alarm is instituted by others is unknown to me as I built my own until I bought a monumentally good Australian unit at a monumentally cheep price off eBay.
The days of carrying a spare cap are now long gone.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF

Replied by Notanumber on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 2 days 4 hours ago #208886
Bruce Cotsell's low coolant alarms are reccomended. I've fitted 2 of them to TFs. Inexpensive and straightforward

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF, TA22GT

Replied by R40MGF on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 1 day 22 hours ago #208888
I recently fitted one of Bruce's alarms and I agree with Notanumber.
They are easy to fit, it comes with comprehensive instructions and for the price I should have fitted one years ago.

With our car I should probably get a high water alarm 
by R40MGF

Replied by bluebae on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 1 day 14 hours ago #208890
Coolant-wise, go for the oat stuff like others said. Maybe grab a spare cap too, they can be finicky sometimes.
by bluebae

Time to create page: 2.489 seconds