Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Hello. I've just bought an MG TF 135 (I think its the 135 not the 160) with just under 52k miles as my first car. Admittedly this was probably a foolish idea but it is better than a rusty Corsa. I would like a few recommendations on which engine oil and coolants are best to use as well as anything to watch out for other than the famous problems with the K series engine. The head gasket was changed by the previous owner 11 years ago, has done 20k miles since. any pointers are greatly appreciated
The following user(s) said Thank You: richefc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good morning, judging by the time of your post you are possibly overseas or an insomniac, I'm sure both are welcome here.
There should be a dayglow sticker or label under the coolant filler cap, mine didn't come with one, lost in time I expect.
OAT is the stuff, organic acid technology anti-freeze, my knowledge knows no bounds when reading directly from the workshop manual.
The oil is normally 10w/40.
The blue MG TF workshop manual is a recommended purchase.
There will be other more knowledgeable than I still in slumber that will reply soon, oh, and a warm welcome to the fold, you will have lots of fun with the TF, I know I do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SynchroMesh

Replied by Cobber on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 1 week 5 hours ago #208792
Welcome.
Nothing foolish about it, I could think of much worse cars to have as a first car.
Don't listen to the experts down the pub.....they wouldn't know if a 50's Buick was up 'em till the passengers got out!
the first thing you MUST do is if not already so equipped is fit a low coolant alarm! There are quite a few different ones available, I use the Browns & Gammon one but there are others, including one made by one of our forum members. This is a must do, no ifs no buts, just bloody well DO IT! this isn't an expense, it's insurance. It's utter madness to not have one fitted to our cars. It's the best way the keep the ghost of head gasket failure from haunting you! also buy a new good quality coolant cap and carry it in the car, these can fail and are a weakness.
Failure to take these very basic precautions will result in a blunt "I TOLD YOU SO!"

I do suggest that you provide an approximate  location on where you are, this will help us help you when it comes to local advice and make it easier for us to advise you in regards to which market specification you car was built for.
Don't take by abrasive nature personally, I'm a grumpy cynical old bastard to everyone! 

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:1 week 4 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 1 week 4 hours ago by Cobber.

Welcome to the T Bar!🖐

David
:shrug:

Replied by TA22GT on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 1 week 2 hours ago #208797
Good morning!
I'm new here too and having bought my first TF just a month ago I had the same concerns as yourself!
As I read through the forum I began to realise that the HG is a weakness but it's not the end of the car. 
I see it is your first car so I would advise to learn "mechanical sympathy" as you drive along. If you suddenly hear a noise then investigate it sooner rather than later. Keep your eye on the water temp gauge as you drive until you get to know how the car behaves. Don't be parranoid but they are old cars now and like any make of old car they need looking after.
The fortunate thing is they are very easy to love and become attached to so caring for them naturally follows!
I am loving mine! Absolutely love driving every mile.
There is so much knowledge on this site and as you read through it you will realise that people go out of their way to help.
Best wishes.
by TA22GT

Replied by Airportable on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 6 days 23 hours ago #208801
I do like the expression “mechanical sympathy” as used by our friend TA22GT, it might be an interesting addition to the riggers of the driving test.
Mind you when you observe the lack of ability & “roadmanship” of many drivers these days it makes you wander whether there are any riggers at all!
It wasn’t too long ago that the sight of a car with the bonnet raised at the roadside was unusual, now with the lack of Mech’Symp you might see several even on a short journey.
Just keep pumping fuel in & well just keep pumping fuel in. A Service, what’s that?
A fresh car is another language you have to learn & the more you study the quicker you learn. You also need the text book, crib notes & folk around you who will teach you polite parlance & the slang.
In T-Bar you have all that & Cobber for free.
An assiduous learner is never a liability.
You might be starting with an existing tool kit & fair dos if not buy wisely & buy quality but unless you are going to use them day in & out don’t end up a Snap-On sucker.
You can get some eBay bargains, I’ve had Britool spanner as new for a song, 8,10,13,15,17 & 19mm ring/open ended 3/8” sockets & good ratchet, extension bar.
Other hand tools are common sense. A test meter, a battery/buzzer tester for continuity.
And if you don’t have one fitted, a good low coolant warning system (see Bruce).
M

Replied by SynchroMesh on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 6 days 19 hours ago #208810
thank you very much, roughly how many Litres of oil and coolant is needed?

Replied by SynchroMesh on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 6 days 19 hours ago #208811
thank you very much for the advice, would you say the coolant warning system from MGOC spares is a good bet?

Replied by Airportable on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 6 days 18 hours ago #208812
It’s all there in the library, have a look there & download what you could find useful. I’m not being obtuse, I can’t remember & I’m not in the workshop.
Google it, it’s all there & Bruce’s low coolant monitor is used by loads of folk on here.
Come on Bruce, give us a wave!
I made my own as I’ve changed certain aspects of my coolant system.
M
M

Replied by TA22GT on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 6 days 18 hours ago #208813

thank you very much, roughly how many Litres of oil and coolant is needed?

I just changed my oil and filter. It took about 4.5 ltrs.  
Mine had been changed about 1000 miles before I got it with cheap oil so I did it again so that I know what is in it and when I put it in! 
Haven't touched the cooling system yet apart from checking the level.

by TA22GT

Replied by Notanumber on topic Hi! I just bought an MG TF from 2003 and need some advice

Posted 6 days 18 hours ago #208814
+1 for the low coolant alarms that our forum colleague Bruce Cotsell makes. Look for "MGF / MG TF - LOW COOLANT ALARM KIT - No Drilling Required - THE ORIGINAL! " on Ebay from seller Bcotsell. 
They are one of the more cost effective low coolant alarms, it utilises your existing coolant bottle,and is easy to fit.  Ive done 2 of them. 
If Bruce spots this thread on the forum he may offer a discount for ordering directly.

It's worth bookmarking Mgfntfbitz site. Beside whats on their website they have a lot of good 2nd hand parts so it's worth dropping them an email to check when you need something. Excellent to deal with and its rare for me to go anywhere else..

You havent said whereabouts you are on the planet ?

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last Edit:6 days 18 hours ago by Notanumber
Last edit: 6 days 18 hours ago by Notanumber.

Posted 6 days 13 hours ago #208825
Im in London. I made the post very late at night. thanks for the recommendation this will save me a huge amount of money

Time to create page: 0.573 seconds