MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ignition Switch to II

MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ignition Switch to II was created by LanderMG

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #208661
Hi,

My wifes TF has a peculiar problem as the moment...
When she switches the ignition to position I, the radio comes on with no problem. Switch the ignition to position II and nothing. Radio continues to play, but there are no lights appearing on the dashboard. Turn the ignition to position III and the car won't turn over. 

The strange thing is, leave the switch at position II, and after a short time, the alarm light ignites. 

Then turn the ignition position off, and then try again and it might work and the car with start straight away. 

There are times when the key is in position II and after no dashboard lights, they just come on and am able to start the car. 

I have checked the battery and it's in fine health, and just changed the battery in the fob. Car locks and unlocks without issue and from several meters so not sure what the problem is. Don't know if it's linked the recent onslaught of rain? 

TIA

Last Edit:17 hours 13 minutes ago by LanderMG
Last edit: 17 hours 13 minutes ago by David Aiketgate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ingition Switch to II

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #208672
The source of your pain and suffering might take a bit of tracking down, loose connections somewhere, but before I would chase those I'd check the ignition switch itself  maybe the contacts inside the key-switch are buggered, no much but replacing it will help there but use a multimeter to check it functions in the various positions.
Should you either not have a multimeter or aren't sure how to do this you're probably better off to handball the job to an auto-electrician.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by LanderMG on topic MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ingition Switch to II

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #208677
Thank you.
I will start with the multimeter around the key-switch and connections and see if anything doesn't look right.
If I have to replace the key-switch, will I be able to switch the lock itself so I can keep the existing keys?

Replied by Airportable on topic MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ingition Switch to II

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #208678
There are one or two useful illustrations of the switch floating about on the internet. These are of value when sorting problems like this.
I’m going from memory here, which is rarely a good thing with me but search out Dieter’s web site. He has an early diagram of an f, this doesn’t look much like it’s successors but the basic key switch wiring is the same throughout the cars.
If I recall correctly, it had a block diagram of what connects to what as the key is turned; later diagrams omit this, again if the memory serves.
To others reading this, it is worth looking up Dieter’s site, some of it is inspired.
M

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ingition Switch to II

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208696
If I recall correctly, the electrical switch (black plastic unit) attaches to the bottom of the actual metal ignition switch, so the key mechanism remains the same😁

Yep, it's attached by 2 screws, so you can buy a second hand unit and swap your ignition barrel to the newer plastic connection.(If that is your problem, tbat is).

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:1 week 4 days ago by David Aiketgate
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by David Aiketgate. Reason: Pic and more info

Replied by Airportable on topic MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ingition Switch to II

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208697
I think there are two patterns of switch, early & late (nowt like stating the obvious) & I don’t think you can graft one onto the other. Electrically they are identical, if buying a used part do make sure it’s off the same family group.
An early f & a 500 won’t mix.
Again this post starts with “I think” & so someone might like to verify, I have a switch in store which I think is a Mk2 / tf, I can’t check against a Mk1 as my car starts electronically & the key just enables the electronics, the rest of it fell in bits, hence the electronics.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208704
I’ve just been in stores & found this, it might help identify what you have. 
this is off a Mk1, dated 25-06-98. 
M

Replied by Notanumber on topic MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ingition Switch to II

Posted 1 week 3 days ago #208729
It's very easy to change the switch part on the back of the ignition lock. Just 2 screws

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by henrythompson on topic MGTF - No Dashboard Lights - Ingition Switch to II

Posted 1 day 47 minutes ago #208895
Hello,

As per me, the fact that the car starts intermittently and the dash lights don’t always come on points to a potential electrical connection problem. Check for any moisture or corrosion around the ignition switch, and ensure the wiring harness is secure. It’s also worth inspecting the fuses and relays for any signs of water damage. If the problem persists, the ignition barrel itself might need replacing.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.603 seconds