The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44284
Just a bit more on the question I posted at the top of page 218.

The F/TF production, if we consider it to be a continuous line, then the 50,000th produced was a blue MGF Registration Number T597KJX, first registered in Huddersfield on 16 08 1999. According to the DVLA this car is no longer taxed or SORN or exported, so we can only assume it has been scraped, unless of course you know better.

The 100,000 car in the line was a green MG TF 1.6, Registration Number PY53KXK which was first registered 21 01 2004. This car is currently in use in the UK. If you know where it is it would be very interesting.

Mr F I have the info from a very reliable source.
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44286
Paul - it's not me you have to worry about - it's, it's BRYAN :coat:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Unneeded quote removed

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44288

MGF MARK wrote: how many mgf mk2 s where made in 2001 and sold in the same year

also wat was the total sales of the TF

have fun lol

I'll start (and get shot down) but - what the heck - something for Tsleight and Gadget to work on in their Hotel rooms??

MGF 1.8 120 CVT MY2000 811

MGF 1.8 VVC (143) MY2000 6328

MGF 1.8 160 Trophy 1427

MGF 1.6 1390

MGF 1.8 Freestyle (all variants) 671

Total (allegedly) 10627 BUT elsewhere I have seen 10544 quoted

Sales 10601 :-? :-?

TF
2001 198
2002 14011
2003 14086
2004 10954
2005 631
Total 39,880 OR ANOTHER source

MGTF UK 27967
Export 13740
Total 41707

PLUS – the ones not on the “books” of the Administrators PLUS the Chinese ones I have NO IDEA wher to get this (YET) :rant:

HOWEVER - By contrast the MG Rover TF, racked up sales of just 39,249* prior to MG Rover's demise in April, 2005. *Supplied by Bryan Young Quote unquote - PDQ this T-Bar thread ~ MGF/TF QI Facts

Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44. Reason: sort link
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44289
Looks like a good answer to me Mr Forgetful, quoting Bryan Young on production figures......that could go either way :lol:

The TF production at Longbridge since SAIC took control was a very disappointing 906 MG TFs built in a series of batches.

I think your answer is going to be picked over by Bryan but I reckon it deserves a win.

Set a new question just in case :yesnod:
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44292
I don't want to claim credit if it's not due :nonod: I just look and look!! :bang:

I'll check tomorrow morning to see if Mark is happy and, if so, post a simple question (for a change!!) Nobody will check much between now and then anyway. :yesnod:

Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44305
mf forgetfull is nearly there :)

production was 10,544 sales was 10,601

the tf jan 2006 was 26068

in 2002 made was 14,14304 but that included some mgfs

its close enough for me so mr forgetfull your tun for a question :)

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44310
Thank you Mark - I am sure Bryan and Paul will correct any of OUR little discrepancies! ANYWAY hopefully one that any Visitor might feel they would like to "dip their toes in with":-

Why would I think of Hotchkiss et Cie, Osberton Radiators, Skinners Union? Some (a little) background would be good :yesnod:

Thank you

Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44332
skinners union did the su carb George Herbert Skinner
hitchkiss did cannons ect then cars
also skinner 1903 he imported from France a car of Léon Bollée.

In August of 1919, William R. Morris (later Lord Nuffield) was instrumental in helping Harold Alfred Ryder and A. L. Davies set up Osberton Radiators in an old roller skating rink on Osberton Road in Oxford.
Ryder was the general manager of Coventry Radiators, a division of Doherty Motor Components. William R. Morris had been buying radiators from DMC, since the 1913 Morris Oxford, however DMC was not able to keep up with demand. WRM encouraged Ryder along with Davies to move to Oxford to start the business. There is some suggestion Morris was financially involved behind the scenes in the set up of the new venture.

In January of 1923, Osberton Radiators came under the sole ownership of WRM and Ryder was appointed as a Morris Motors director in addition to his duties as the General Manager of Osberton Radiators.

Later in 1923 Osberton Radiators moved from Osberton Road to a new factory on the Woodstock road. From 1925 to 1927, Cecil Kimber had space allocated to him for the production of MGs at the Bainton Road entrance to this new factory. In June of 1926 Osberton Radiators became Morris Radiators Branch. MG production was moved to Cowley in Sept. 1927.

On the TA and TB cars and early TC’s, a brass plate is usually found on the LH topside of the header tank in the crook of the "L" shaped pressing. On the later TC’s, this plate is generally found on the RH topside of the header tank aft of the "round" shaped pressing. The plates were hand numbered and attached to the header tank resulting in some variation in placement of both plates and numbers.

so not to sure of the connection on the last one

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44369
Well what an entry into the MG Quiz ~ looking like a 70% good answer Mark, just a missing link to find, little more info and I reckon you're there.

I say that but then again it's hard to ever be sure exactly what's going through Mr Forgetful's mind so he will have to make any final decision.

:yesnod: Very nice question Ted, original too.

Just on the production figures, the ones you quoted Mark are from a very good source, the figures Mr Forgetful gave were very, very good and when considering the question of figures we have found out you need to be very specific in the question you ask to avoid any confusion.
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44387
i want to win this one as got a question i recon none of you will know :)
you only find out if you build ?????lol

im more of a techky not historical facts :broon:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44390
Well done Mark - the answer I had was virtually what you posted (sorry I have been out)

Morris and later MG engines used to be purchased from outside the main Morris Company, but as the Morris empire grew and grew, so Morris began to buy up his suppliers. The company of Hotchkiss in Gosford Street, Coventry were purchased in 1923 to be renamed Morris Engines Branch. They supplied Morris with the engines for the later model of the Bull Nose and M.G) saloon cars. Hotchkiss et Cie had moved to the United Kingdom from France in WW1 to escape the Germans, to continue making armaments, and carried on using their original machine tools and equipment. They had never made an engine until they met William Morris, but had excellent machine shop facilities and a very experienced workforce, and were looking about for work after the war.
An additional note which might explain many anomalies
The machinery and tools had come over from France, and this included the thread cutting dies and taps used on their guns. These threads of an unusual French Metric size were used up until 1956 in the last 'X' series engine in the Wolseley 4/44, having been used in virtually all Morris and M.G. engines till then. These metric threads are not quite the same as those used today. The last M.G. to use such threads was the TF1500 in 1955. Such nuts and bolts have British BSW/BSF head sizes, so that the average British DIY owner or motor mechanics tool kit could still be used, but with these odd metric threads. From then on, starting with the M.G. 'Z' Magnette in 1953, Austin engines were used under the umbrella of the British Motor Corporation, or BMC for short. These BMC engines used American based Unified Fine (UNF) and course (UNC) threads, ( ANF & ANC in the USA,) in the 'A','B' and 'C' series M.G. used. Such nuts and bolt heads had to be used with spanners that are termed "A/F", indicating the distance Across the Flats, a common size for instance, being 1/2" AF. Later still, standardised ISO metric sizes took over with the 'A' Plus, 'O','R','S', and 'K' series engines of Austin/Rover.

Other items used with the Morris/MG engine were made by outside contractors, and they too were taken over one by one, so that Osberton Radiators became Morris Radiators in 1922 as Morris was their only customer. Skinners Union who made SU carburetters for Morris were purchased in 1926. The next year the first M.G. factory was built at Cowley, and then M.G. moved to Abingdon in 1929.

Thank you Mark - over to you for another MG question (please bear in mind some of us are not technicians, engineers or, indeed, particularly clever - my part time job is as The Village Idiot - so not too complicate please OR some clues :broon: :broon:

The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds