MG Quiz

Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44625
the car is now in the usa
3 MGBs ran at LeMans....1963 7DBL; 1964 BMO541B; 1965 DRX255C

There was only one streamlined nose ever built. It was transferred from car to car over the three year LeMans period. It was damaged and scrapped.

MGBs made their USA debut at Sebring in 1963. The factory entered 2 cars. For the 1964 race, the factory did not enter any cars...instead Californian Kjell Quavale entered a team of three cars. A red one, a blue one and of course a white one. These cars were prepared by Joe Huffacker and used factory alloy panels. Like the factory MGBs, they were not full alloy cars, in the manner of the later MGC GTS cars. They had alloy front fenders, doors, hood, front valence and boot lid.

After the 1964 race, the red car returned to California and was raced extensively in SCCA competition. The blue car also returned to California and was owned for a time by MGEr Mac Townsend. The white car went to Texas and disappeared. By the mid 80s, both of the California cars were owned by Butch Gilbert (and subsequently restored and sold at the Monterey auction).

The 1964 LeMans car, BMO541B, was run at Sebring in 1965 (with a conventional nose). After the race the car was sold in the USA and disappeared.

Fast forward to 1990.

The news hit that the long lost BMO541B was found in Texas and was being restored for auction sale. It was sold and subsequently ended up in England....where it was again offered up at auction.. The rumor was that this car was not BMO541B....the sale went badly......lots of unhappy guys.

The white 1964 Sebring car was a very early car.....one of the first 100 shipped over. The early cars had an ‘X’ embossed in the transmission tunnel under the heater. BMO was a 1964 car, it would not have had that ‘X’ embossing.

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

The topic has been locked.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44628
Oh bother - Mark beat me to it :broon: My bit was

Picture is Hopkirk and Hedges –Long nosed MGB 1964 Le Mans

In 1963 Hopkirk and Hutcheson reached 12th place despite losing 85 minutes stuck in the sand at the end of the Mulsanne Straight

In 1964 and 1965 it was Hopkirk and Hedges and they achieved 19th and 11th positions. 1965 was the last year MG raced at Le Mans.

NB in 1964 Austin Healey (Sebring) Sprites (all 1101cc of it) was 24th and Triumph Spitfire (1147cc) was 19th whilst in 1965 the Sprite was 12th ( but now 1293cc ??) and Spitfires 13th and 14th . How was that for “little uns” – those were the days!!

MGBs shone in the 1965 Brands Hatch 1000-mile race, helped to an outright win and a class 1-2-3

Another astonishing, really long-distance outright win for the MGB was in the 1966 Marathon de la Route 84 hour race, at the Nürburgring, when Vernaeve and Hedges outran the entire field at 5260 miles, despite early crash damage.

The Marathon de la Route attracted a very decent entry its second year at the Nürburgring. Works cars from Ford Britain, Alfa Romeo, Daf, BMC and last but not least Tatra. The Czechoslovak team presented a trio of giant 4-door 603s, their V8 2.5 litre rear engine tuned to 170 HP. At the other side of the scale were the little Daf cars with their belt-driven variomatic. Both exotic teams had an excellent finishing record; the Tatras 4-5-6, the Daf cars came in 8-10-11-12. Winner was the BMC works MG B with Vernaeve/Hedges. The big favourite, the ENB Ferrari 275 GTB, left the road when the exhausted driver made an error.

NB – there were 4 Daf Daffodil 746cc cars in that race – all finished, - do you remember Daf’s – a CVT transmission (rubber band to “oiks” like me) – and they did 4684 miles!! I find that staggering :broon: :yesnod:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44629
Well between you Mark and Ted you've covered all and more than I asked for, some really good info from you both. Thank You. :yesnod:

A very close call but I think I've gotta give this one to Mark who was first in. Commiserations Ted, your Marathon de la Route was spot on.

Well the newcomer is making steady progress, Mark the power is in your hands, get out there and choose a question :lol:
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44641
ok dont have time to look through all the pages so perhaps this has been covered but ill give 3 clues as in some way its realy easy

so what happend on 23rd October, 2003

what was city mode

what is hot shift

also to help
in my job i go to lots of places so whats my connection with this
hint iso and laplace

good luck :) :broon:

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44642
An exciting technology concept was unveiled on the 23rd October, 2003 at the Motor sport Industry Association's "Clean Racing Conference."  The "Hybrid Performance Development" (HPD) is a petrol/electric powered MG TF featuring a combined output of 200Ps (198 bhp) deployed through its four road wheels. The MG TF derived 200 HPD, was built by MIRA's engineers in consultation with MG Rover, to provide a Hybrid sports car that posses not only both functional and environmental benefits, but also performance potential for motor sport.

In City mode the car is all-electric driving the front wheels.

In a normal car you lose a fraction of a second's power when you lift off the throttle and dip the clutch to change gear. With Hot Shift, the electric motor continues to provide accelerative power diring this lag in the power from the petrol engine.

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44643
nice one
but coud you work out my connection to one part :broon:

to save space lol i have been going to mira for a long time on testing ect and i did see the car in question :)
iv seen some other ones but not alowed to say :( but done work for NOBLE CARS and Prodrive who also go to mira :broon:

i did the fuel map of the tank with an american over the internet

Tsleight time for you post a question :)

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by MGF MARK
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by MGF MARK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsleight

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44645
And I was going to suggest you were a

Hot Shitty - so sorry, sorry, Shifty City Mover & Shaker :woohoo:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44648
Ok, a bit different this time. Name 4 cars:

1 might be from Africa.
2 a Boeing 747.
3 near where the M6 and Toll road join
4 A single and a double at nearly quarter past...

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44653
:nonod:

1931 MG Montlhery Midget 747 supercharged. Classic MG C Type, Classic car. The MG C-type was produced by the MG Car company

MG Rover South Africa was launched in September 2001 so was the mg rover city car

mg y type

not sure on the last one

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44654
Just think of them as crossword questions. They aren't very cryptic - just 4 MG models. Hopefully it will click easily into place when you find the answers!

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44655
im terible at crosswords lol and my mg history is very vauge at the moment but learning lol

mr forgetfull have you gor the answers :broon:

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #44656

MGF MARK wrote: :nonod:

1931 MG Montlhery Midget 747 supercharged. Classic MG C Type, Classic car. The MG C-type was produced by the MG Car company

MG Rover South Africa was launched in September 2001 so was the mg rover city car

mg y type

not sure on the last one

Nil points! Though the country is correct.

Time to create page: 0.632 seconds