MG Quiz

Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46758

MGF MARK wrote:
Radiator: You are right RE Osberton Radiators, but what were they renamed to, what year and why...? lol all in the text :)
In June of 1926 Osberton Radiators became Morris Radiators Branch. MG production was moved to Cowley in Sept. 1927.
due to they could not keep up with supply

Tui in red is about the radiators bellow is black text saying due to they could not keep up with supply

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Last Edit:12 years 5 months ago by MGF MARK
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Unneeded quote removed
The topic has been locked.
  • tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Replied by tui on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46759
Good copy and paste job! Didn't need all that info by any means and still doesn't answer why Morris bought Osberton. It only explains that he moved them to larger premises in order to meet demand.

And threads...?

-=Visit my Website!=-

Last Edit:12 years 5 months ago by tui
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by tui.

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46761
threads answer

British Morris and MG engines from 1923 to 1955 were built using metric threads but with bolt heads and nuts dimensioned for Whitworth spanners (wrenches) and sockets. [4] The background for this was that the engines were produced by a previously French company that was set up for metric production but for the average British motorist to be able to service his car the bolt heads had to fit imperial-sized spanners.

radiator answer
William Morris had had a financial interest in Osberton Radiator Company since its establishment in 1919, and it had by 1921 reached a stage where the firm were experiencing difficulty in keeping up with his requirements. Around this period, a new, and presumably cheaper, form of radiator element was introduced which did away with the tubes and gills, previously described, in favour of a honeycomb type radiator block for Morris cars. This new type of construction made manufacture easier, but despite the rise in the number of employees at Osberton Road to 79, production was still not sufficient to satisfy the demand from Cowley. To overcome the problem, William Morris injected more capital to finance expansion and took over the company in 1923, making one of the original founder brothers, Harold Alfred Ryder, general manager of the works. The new expansion included an increase in the labour force to 179 and the renting of a one time shirt factory in George Street which then provided space where polishing, final assembly, and leak testing could be done. In addition it provided more space for office accommodation. [/color]

could not keep up with demand

engine

hotchkis in far gosford st in coventy use to supply the engines but morris brough hotchkiss in 1923 and renamed morris engines
here is a pdf of all the history to save me typing it all

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/imgytr/pdf/enginehist.pdf

my fanal answer

just to add on the radiator also new design was included :)

Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by MGF MARK.
  • tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46763
Mark you are nearly there! You are absolutely right - threads of a French metric size were used up until 1955, BUT which was the LAST car to use such threads? And what superseded?

Still, why did Morris take over Osberton? Not why did they relocate?

Engine - you were right first time round!

If no further progress is made, I'll give you the answers tomorrow, or Friday if I'm feeling mean...

What happens if no one can answer the question?

Anyone going to have a shot at the saying? The opposing saying was for Austin...

-=Visit my Website!=-

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46764
The saying has something to do with going/not going...

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46765
radiators

morris was woried about his suppliers not being able to supply thus he took over osberton radiators and moved premesis

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46791
I think I was asking for too much on this one!

Here are the answers I was looking for...

Engine: Hotchkiss of Gosford Street, Coventry were purchased by Morris in 1923 and were renamed Morris Engines Branch.

Radiator: Osberton Radiators became Morris Radiators in 1922 as Morris was their only customer. In 1923 Morris financed a company expansion to meet demand.

Threads: Threads of a French metric size were used up until 1955. The last MG to use such threads was the TF1500 in 1955. From then on, starting with the MG 'Z' Magnette in 1953, Austin engines were used under the umbrella of the BMC, which used American based Unified Fine (UNF) and Unified Course (UNC) threads.

Saying: "Morris are cars that stop but do not go, and Austin are cars that go but do not stop." One had good brakes, the other good engines!

As the parts in red are the only bits missing, II think Mark's investigations deserve a win...

-=Visit my Website!=-

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46795
ok here we go some thing different and yep its an mg

so what is this car
what was it origionaly
and who designed the boddy
and in a letter who use to own it

good luck :broon:

Attachments:
  • tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46796
It's a 1964 MG Ashley GT.
It was originally an MG Midget.
Designed by Ashley, built at Abingdon 3-4 June 1964, finished in tartan red with optional extras heater and tonneau.
It was owned by Mr Chris Peacock, who was the last works manager at the MG car works at Abingdon and used this car for his everyday transport. At that time, the car was still in standard MG specification and it appears that this car was converted to full Ashley GT specification after 1990. It is likely that this work was carried out in 1993, when the car was also subject to a major rebuild that included the fitting of sills and A-pillars.

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46798
have you still got the page to list the rest :)

if not here is the extra bits

•Chassis Number: GAN329298
•Engine Number: DA-H/7241
•Odometer reading: 8496
• Estimate: £8,000-£13,000

Ashley was a pioneering manufacturer of fibreglass body shells and chassis for specials from 1955 to 1972, offered in a range of configurations from roadsters, sports-racers to GTs - primarily to cater for the self-build enthusiast market. It was during the later period of the company's history that the Ashley GT conversion was conceived to turn the ubiquitous BMC powered 'Spridget' into a full 'Gran Turismo'. In deference to products by other manufacturers, such as the Lenham, the Ashley GT conversion featured a dual purpose roadster/GT application that could be swapped over with minimal effort. Needless to say, the Ashley turned out to be an extremely popular option.

The car on offer today is a 1964 MG Midget powered by a 1098cc engine. According to the car's Heritage Certificate, it was built at MG's Abingdon factory over the 3/4 June 1964, finished in maroon and featuring the optional extras of a heater and tonneau cover, both of which are still with the car. A comprehensive history file accompanies DPJ 767B, including a letter, which confirms that it belonged to a Mr. Chris Peacock, who was the last works manager at the MG car works at Abingdon. It further confirms that he used this car for his everyday transport. At that time, the car was still in standard MG specification and it appears that this car was then converted to full Ashley GT specification after 1990. It is likely that this work was carried out in 1993 when it was also subject to a major rebuild that included the fitting of sills and A-pillars. It appears that the car was used sparingly since, latterly being put into storage, before being 'discovered' by the vendor in early 2010 and sent to the reformed Ashley Works for a major refurbishment which involved the car being fully stripped, repainted and re-trimmed. It is testimony to the car's condition that it will featured in the authoritative' Classic & Sportscar' magazine.

nice car though :)

Tui your turn :broon:

my next question is a bit harder lol

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46801
I could have copied and pasted, but that was too much info for your question :P

So question number 3 - an easy one...

What stunt, from what film was recreated on Top Gear, using what kind of MG? Which episode of which season did this feature on? What was the fundamental difference between the car used in the film and the car used on Top Gear, how did this affect the stunt and what was the result?

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui

Posted 12 years 5 months ago #46804
•Top Gear Stunt Man: spiral jump as seen in the James Bond movie "The Man with the Golden Gun" (MG Maestro)

Episode 11x02 - 2008.06.29 [BBC Link]

James May got his slide rule out in an effort to recreate one of film's most beloved car stunts: the spiral jump from The Man with the Golden Gun. In the film, an AMC Hornet is seen jumping off a ramp, making one complete revolution in mid-air, and then landing on its wheels on another ramp. What looks relatively simple on-screen actually involves some incredibly complex equations, and the genuine possibility of a horribly messy death for the driver. Enter Top Gear Stunt Man.

Unfortunately, James misplaced a couple of decimal points, so the attempt ended in a huge and painful-looking crash.

Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by MGF MARK.
Time to create page: 0.794 seconds