Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47314
mg tf 85th

the stripes are not stright and also peel off after 14 months

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by MGF MARK
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by MGF MARK.
The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47315
Sorry Mark not correct, the stripe is not on the MG
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47316

PQD44 wrote: Sorry Mark not correct, the stripe is not on the MG

egh ?? not on an mg but what new car ??
totaly lost lol

never been any good at croswords lol

Replied by alanrt54 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47325
Was it the expiry month on Road Tax discs. Between 1956 and 1960 only the year was printed on the disc. The Expiry month was reinstated in 1961. Therefore I believe the MG Midget was the first new model MG to display the new style tax disc. There is an interesting article about tax discs on the Ford Anglia website http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/history-taxuk.htm.
Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by alanrt54
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by alanrt54. Reason: Spelling. I must proofread before submitting
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Replied by tui on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47341
1938 was the first year that tax disks were perforated around the outside of the printed circle, making it easier to fit into its holder. By this time, the yearly coloured stripe was diagonal, having been vertical from 1923-1932, when it became horizontal until 1935, when it became a cross.

Also, the wording of the intaglio print was changed from 'Road Fund License' to 'Mechanically Propelled Vehicle License' in 1938.

The perforations lasted until 1942, but were brought back in 1952. The precise reason for this is unknown but it is thought likely that the equipment for making the perforations was destroyed during bombing raids.

In answer to your question, if you refer to the new MG that would have had one of the first perforated tax disks in 1938, it would be the MG WA, in production from 1938-9 with 369 being made.

If, however, you refer to the new MG that would have had one of the first perforated tax disks following their come-back in 1952, it would be the MG TF Midget, in production from 1953-5 with 9,600 being made. The MG TD Midget would have been the second newest, being in production from 1950-53, but as you said "new" I assume it would be the TF.

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui
  • PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47352
Alan and Hari, very well done.

Alan you were on the right track with a tax disc and the small MG Midget, but as Hari explained it was the introduction of the perforated road fund licence in 1938 I was after.

The MG I was after? I said it was a small taxing question, the WA was the largest MG ever produced, however, at the same time MG also produced the small two door MG TA Midget.

Hari (Tui) has so much of the question correct and the year I was after I will have to give it to her.

Well done Hari :woohoo:

Your slice of pie is growing steadily. :broon:
by PQD44
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47361

PQD44 wrote: Alan and Hari, very well done.

Alan you were on the right track with a tax disc and the small MG Midget, but as Hari explained it was the introduction of the perforated road fund licence in 1938 I was after.

The MG I was after? I said it was a small taxing question, the WA was the largest MG ever produced, however, at the same time MG also produced the small two door MG TA Midget.

Hari (Tui) has so much of the question correct and the year I was after I will have to give it to her.

Well done Hari :woohoo:

Your slice of pie is growing steadily. :broon:

I changed my answer FROM the 'TA' to the 'WA' too! Production of the TA began in 1936, so wasn't a "new" car in 1938, whereas the production of the WA began in 1938.

[EDIT by PQD44: I should have been clearer, I meant in production in that year rather than strictly a new model, this was just to stop anyone naming any pre 1938 MG and the 'small' was the clue to the TA rather than WA. Again very well done Hari, thorough as always.]

What and when was the first event the MGB raced in and which particular MGB(s) was/were entered? Who drove and who crewed?
Where (and who) did the idea of the track come from?
What defect went un-noticed, why? And what was the result?

-=Visit my Website!=-

Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by tui
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47408
all iv got is this so far :)

Specially tuned MGBs (including some made out of aluminium) were successful in international road competition events, scoring a Grand Touring category victory in the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally.[17] Circuit racing wins included the Guards 1000 miles race at Brands Hatch in 1965 and the 84-hour Marathon de la Route at the Nurburgring in 1966.[18] MGBs also won the GT Category in the 1966 Targa Florio, the 1966 Spa 1000 and the 1967 Spa 1000.[18]

Alan Hutcherson (USA)
Paddy Hopkirk (IRL)

#31 MGB Hardtop
7 DBL (drop nose)

Alan Hutcherson

• tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47423
Wrong answer I'm afraid Mark.

A little help:
There were 2 cars. You got 7 DBL right, but not drivers.
Pre 1965.
NOT Monte Carlo.

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47431
Registration 7 DBL, famous streamlined works racer #CHN3/3699, supposedly privately entered at 63 Le Mans (despite a works co-driver with factory assistance). MG were not allowed by BMC management to enter Le Mans officially as a self-imposed ban after the 1955 disaster was still company policy. This car finished 12th and won its class, although Hutcheson crashed on the 1st lap into a sandtrap (as picture?) and took an hour and a half to resume. Also http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1963/Le_Mans-1963-06-16-031.jpg .

Edit - 7 DBL's career: "debut Sebring 63 (Jim Parkinson/Jack Flaherty). Loaned to Alan Hutcheson for a couple of events in '63 (Silverstone & Spa) then used at Le Mans (Hutcheson/Hopkirk) and on the Tour de France (Andrew Hedges/John Sprinzel)- it had the Le Mans droopsnoot nose on both events. It then becomes a rallycar in 1964 - used by the Morley brothers on the Monte (1st GT) and the Scottish (crashed and written off)" - from http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115857 for works MGB/MGC details.

6DBL- debuted at Sebring '63 for Christabel Carlisle/Denise McCluggage. Can't find any further mention of this one

8DBL- starts off life as a rallycar (part of a 3-car MGB squad for the 1964 Spa-Sofia-Liege Marathon), used on the '65 Welsh by Tony Fall, before becoming a racer- Wins the Guards 1000 at Brands as a Don Moore entry (John Rhodes/Warwick Banks) then appears at Sebring in '66 in 2009cc 'Prototype form for Hopkirk/Hedges

also some details of the 1930 miget racing
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/news/news421.html :)

Attachments:

Replied by alanrt54 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47452
6DBL and 7DBL both retired from their debut at the 1963 Sebring 12 hours due to bearing failure due to oil starvation as no baffles were fitted in their sumps.

I thought that the only long nosed car was DRX255C raced at Le Mans by Hopkirk/Hedges (See my earlier post about Bill Nicholson) but I am no expert on the subject of MGB racecars.
Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by alanrt54
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by alanrt54.
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47481
What and when was the first event the MGB raced in and which particular MGB(s) was/were entered? Who drove and who crewed?

MGF MARK wrote: Edit - 7 DBL's career: "debut Sebring 63 (Jim Parkinson/Jack Flaherty).
6DBL- debuted at Sebring '63 for Christabel Carlisle/Denise McCluggage.

First part of question :broon:

What defect went un-noticed, why? And what was the result?

alanrt54 wrote: 6DBL and 7DBL both retired from their debut at the 1963 Sebring 12 hours due to bearing failure due to oil starvation as no baffles were fitted in their sumps.

Part of first part of question answered, but Mark's answer is more complete as he included drivers and crew.

Almost complete answer to third part of question. The defect was oil surge in the standard sump when cornering, which caused the engines to be starved of oil for part of the lap, resulting inevitably in bearing failure so both had to retire. For full marks, do you know why this was? Clue: something to do with testing...

Second part of question still to play for...
Where (and who) did the idea of the track come from? Clue: Think Le Mans

-=Visit my Website!=-

Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by tui
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by tui.
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds