• PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47580

tui wrote: ...
Second part of question still to play for...
Where (and who) did the idea of the track come from? Clue: Think Le Mans

The Sebring raceway, Highlands County, east of Sebring, Florida, USA, started life as a United States Army Air Forces training base. From 1941 to 1946, pilots learned to fly the B-17 Flying Fortress. After the war, aeronautical engineer Alec Ulmann, seeking sites to restore military aircraft for civilian use, saw the potential to stage a sports car endurance race, similar to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Sebring's first race was held on New Year's Eve of 1950. The first 12 Hours of Sebring was held on March 15, 1952, and would grow to be a major international race.
by PQD44
The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Replied by PQD44 on topic MG Quiz Hall of Fame, Pie Slice Update

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47581
Just before Hari announces the winner (if any :lol: note: you must select just one name Tui) from her question, here is an update on the Hall of Fame T-Bar pies....

Another a very busy week in which we welcomed a new face alanrt54 to the quiz. Alan is also this weeks highest scoring player with two wins to his name :woohoo: Great start alanrt54, well done.

We started the week with a Special lightweight, moved on to consider the three wheeler parent prototype MGF :ohmy: An MGB with a driver sharing his name with a Spurs Manager led us to Petula Clark's favoured Turner brand before our first visit of the week state side where we tried out the liquid suspension Indy car :yesnod: Two beautiful cars told the story of a young man's paper win with E-Type that gave way to an MGA for Marcus. A perforated taxed TA Midget was our final question included in the scoring below which left Hari setting the second question of the week from the USA.

In the first bake off we have.....

Taking pride of place on the MG enthusiasts table we have....

Well done to one and all :hugs: If you've one of the very many regular 'watchers' who has never had a go at answering any of the MG Quiz questions, don't be shy, click reply on the next question and join in the addictive world of MG's. :drive:
Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by PQD44.
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Replied by tui on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47582
Where (and who) did the idea of the track come from?

PQD44 wrote: The Sebring raceway, Highlands County, east of Sebring, Florida, USA, started life as a United States Army Air Forces training base. From 1941 to 1946, pilots learned to fly the B-17 Flying Fortress. After the war, aeronautical engineer Alec Ulmann, seeking sites to restore military aircraft for civilian use, saw the potential to stage a sports car endurance race, similar to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Sebring's first race was held on New Year's Eve of 1950. The first 12 Hours of Sebring was held on March 15, 1952, and would grow to be a major international race.

Excellent Paul! The Sebring circuit used some of the runways and service roads of Hendrick Field, a WWII bomber base. The inspiration for both the 12-hour endurance race and the venue came from Alec Ulmann, the manager of the Briggs Cunningham team at Le Mans in 1950. He wanted to stage a similar type of endurance race in America, the first of which took place on New Years Eve of 1950. This was a 6 hour event. All subsequent events ran for 12 hours.

This is a TOUGHIE! Mark and Paul have 1 point and Alan has half!

Tie breaker is who can complete the answer to the third part of the question: Why did the defect (correctly pointed out by Alan as being oil starvation) go unnoticed? Clue: Think poor overworked MG factory workers and English weather in January 1963...

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui

Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47589
tui
withought posting the hole thing i found this

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?41,1933314,page=1

so the reason is they did not take the engine to 7k rpm and being a cold day the oil would be a lot thiker
(oil goes thin when hot) so oil starvation was not noticed

also the shells and crank needed to be modifed to over come the problem

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47590
:woohoo: Congratulations Mark, that was a good find. It's over to you for the new question.

Hari, thank you for another interesting, well researched challenge. :yesnod:

Just in case you missed it, the weekly update to the T-Bar Hall of Fame Pie is on the previous page.
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47602

MGF MARK wrote: tui
withought posting the hole thing i found this

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?41,1933314,page=1

so the reason is they did not take the engine to 7k rpm and being a cold day the oil would be a lot thiker
(oil goes thin when hot) so oil starvation was not noticed

also the shells and crank needed to be modifed to over come the problem

Well Mark, overall you have scored the most points so well done :broon:

The preparation of the two cars fell behind schedule due to high work load. Once they were ready to be shipped to America they needed testing, but unfortunately, England in January 1963 was experiencing it's most severe Winter for many years and all the tracks were buried under a layer of frozen snow. Luckily, volunteers were found to carry out the running-in sessions on public roads in the local area, but track racing would prove more difficult. Eventually, the team were able to do some running at Finmere Airfield near Buckingham, where there were sufficient areas of cleared snow, however they did not run at a high enough speed on racing tyres to reveal the aforementioned fatal flaw.

PQD44 wrote: Just in case you missed it, the weekly update to the T-Bar Hall of Fame Pie is on the previous page.

Yes Paul I did notice, but I will not be satisfied until I appear in pie no.2!

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui

Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47604
ok reserch time
the car im looking for has
KV6 2.5 litre engine in two forms, 190Ps and 245Nm of torque driving through a 5 speed manual gearbox with a lowered final drive to aid acceleration and response, or with 160Ps and 230Nm driving through the same gearbox but with longer ratios
also was built using BMW parts

sooo
name the car
how many where built
list the engine types
and if you can find it performance figures

good luck its a simple one honest :)

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47606
The MG ZT saloon and ZTT tourer
Number built 25279

Engines....
1796cc 4 cyl twin cam and 4 valves per cylinder petrol with 120ps for the base 120 model, and 160ps for the 160 1.8T model
2497cc V6 twin cam per bank and 4 valves per cylinder petrol with 160 ps for the original 160 model, and 190ps for the sporting 190 models
1997cc 4 cyl twin cam, 4 valves per cylinder diesel with 116 in the CDTi models, and 131ps in the CDTI 135 models.

Manual 5 speed Getrag gearbox with sporting lower ratios for the 190, or 5 speed Jatco automatic transmission.

Performance…
112mph to 140mph (both diesels 120mph rev limited)
0 to 60mph 12.6 seconds to 7.7 seconds
Average fuel consumption 27 to 35mpg petrol models, 44 - 46mpg for the diesels
by PQD44
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47608
Woah that was rediculously quick :omg:

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47615
:bust: I waited 12 mins, what's the problem?

Looks like Mark is out and about and I need to go out for a while now so, assuming the MG ZT is what Mark was after,here is the new question;

On a recent trip to Gaydon Motor Heritage Centre I saw this in the car park

Name the car ... :lol: no hang on, that would be too easy.

What is the obvious MG Link with the TR7?

Have fun
Attachments:

Replied by alanrt54 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47623
Both Rich in Vancouver and I now own MGFs but used to own TR7s. Is that close enough?
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #47625
It's close, very close and in fact I thought this would be ripe for the picking by any of our former TR7 owners.

Unfortunately I would like the detail of something rather more obvious that links the TR7 to the MGF/TF.

It may be possible that you missed the wood for the the trees or the trees because of the wood :pinch: what I mean to say is it should be quite easy to spot.
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds