• Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33381
You're right it was not your turn :P , but that is an interesting car

1) Aston-Martin MGB prototype, reg DOL 341V

2) Aston-Martin Special Projects Workshop at Newport Pagnell.

3) 1980

The MGB prototype was built by the Aston-Martin consortium to support their bid to acquire British Leyland.

For full story on this car, which is currently for sale click here

ok Mr Forgetful it's back to you after correctly answering Tsleight's question on the Elva Courier to set the new question ;)
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33383

Mr Forgetful wrote: So – Elva Courier mark 2

Mark 2 originally used the 1500 MGA engine, then following liquidation and incorporation into Lambretta Trojan the later 1963 Mark 4 with 1622 MGA engine. :broon:

Well you think mine are complicated :rant:

http://www.elva.com/elva-history.html

Well done. All yours. (i thought the later engine was MGB...)

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33386
Oh yes - you are, as always correct which is why I did the "linky" but I was in sooooooooooooooooooo much of a hurry to get the answer in as it was one picture that, with your "clues" I could actually do :woohoo:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33387
OK - it's Christmas coming up so I will not do a cryptic one. I am sure that Brian, Paul and TSL will have the answer to this before I come back from my paper and will then post one of their "photographs" of somewhere in the back of beyond (well to us "down here"), showing the pre, pre prototype of a car that never saw the light of day, discovered in a jungle in Central Borneo in 1999?

OK the question AND I HAVE A PICTURE MONTAGE TO HELP :thumbsup:

Q 1 Who or what do the four pictures represent - chronological order top left clockwise
Q 2 So what does this give us as the overall answer to the question that I haven't asked. i.e What's it all about? :-?

PS Brian - I came across that Aston Martin MGB in my "research" for TSL and the "eel in drag" - I'm suprised you didn't "keep it" (and ban Paul from answering it !!

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33430
No idea about the chair or the bull but I think its about Sir Alec Issigonis? Centurion = Century: commemoration of his birth in 2006 At Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon. Design BMC 1100 and hydralastic suspension.
As for the rest - well its a load of bull to me! :coat:

Replied by John Newey on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33431
Not sure about all of this, but here goes..... A Roman Centurian (From Italy) where the designer Pininfarina was from. The Bull, referring to Pamplona in Spain (home of the famous bull run) and where Authi built numerous cars including the MG 1100 and a chair-or SEAT as in SEAT the motor company who bought out Authi. How's that look?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33433

John Newey wrote: Not sure about all of this, but here goes..... A Roman Centurian (From Italy) where the designer Pininfarina was from. The Bull, referring to Pamplona in Spain (home of the famous bull run) and where Authi built numerous cars including the MG 1100 and a chair-or SEAT as in SEAT the motor company who bought out Authi. How's that look?

Sounds a lot better than mine!!! :broon:

Replied by John Newey on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33434
Perhaps joining them together might give slightly less "bull" :)!!?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33455
John - you are very astute - the "centurian" was not a centurian per se but to represent Popeye :woohoo: - sorry Pompey who founded Pamplona - the full answer I had prepared was:- :broon:

Pompey - In the winter of 75–74 BC, the area served as a camp for the Roman general Pompey in the war against Sertorius. He is considered to be the founder of Pompaelo, which became Pamplona, in modern Spanish language.

A Bull - The most famous running of the bulls is that of the seven-day festival of Sanfermines in honour of San Fermín in Pamplona,

MG/BMC 1100/1300

A seat or SEAT

The Authi car company of Pamplona, Spain, was founded in 1965 as a result of a collaboration between BMC (the British Motor Corporation) and NMQ (Nueva Montaña Quijano).

The first Spanish built Authi product, an MG 1100 emerged in January 1967

The company survived only until 1976 when British Leyland ran out of money and the almost new Authi plant was sold to the SEAT car company after the failure of a bid for it from General Motors

The question was – What where when – MG1100, Pamplona, 1967 :broon:

So - over to John and the SRV/Issigonis special no1 of 1 quiz :coat:

I meant to add that this is designed to show how much (with my Australia and Argentinia quiz questions) overseas production BMC/BL/Rover did. I will next time show how there is a vague chance they produced in Borneo!! :omg:

Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Mr Forgetful. Reason: Add info

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33474

PS Brian - I came across that Aston Martin MGB in my "research" for TSL and the "eel in drag" - I'm suprised you didn't "keep it" (and ban Paul from answering it !!

I was going to use this one before, but i could not upload the photo :rant: Didnt think you would mind me slipping it in?? but did not expect Paul to answer it so quickly :rant: :rant:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33475
:unsure: :ohmy: :dry: :pinch: :blink: :unsure: John very well done on that last one. I read Ted's questions twice and then his explanations of the answer three times and I'm still mystified :silly: mind you I've spent most of my life in a mystified state :lol:

Well another 25 pages of the MG Quiz have passed and so here is an update of the MG Quiz Hall of Fame.

by PQD44
Attachments:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33479
Just before John sets his question

Mr Forgetful wrote: OK - it's Christmas coming up so I will not do a cryptic one......

All I can say is thank goodness it wasn't cryptic :ohmy:

Mr Forgetful wrote: .... will then post one of their "photographs" of somewhere in the back of beyond (well to us "down here"), showing the pre, pre prototype of a car that never saw the light of day, discovered in a jungle in Central Borneo in 1999?

Says the man whose first clue was from 75 BC :omg:

Keep up the good work Ted ;)
by PQD44
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful
Time to create page: 1.005 seconds