MG Quiz

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33240
I'll give you that Bryan, Ted has gone to bed, so I think we should move on :yesnod: :lol:

NEXT :woohoo:

BTW Thank you for that answer it saved me a LOT of googling :broon:
by PQD44
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33245
Yes yes yes - the two black and white photos are actually one so rather than cut out I thought it might help VCP (Very Clever People) like whot U is. Thank you - I will, to quote "go to bed" :coat:

Bryan - your turn and, Paul, that wasn't too bad was it? :-?

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33246
I thought that was very interesting Ted, Thank You :yesnod:
by PQD44

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33247
This one is going to be easy :nonod: and it is a picture too :woohoo:

Correctly name this MG ? and if you are correct

How many were made? and :omg:

How many are still in existance?

Good Luck ( i had an even better one but was unable to upload the picture :rant: )

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33248
I believe this is an MG L2 Magna from 1933

There were only 90 produced. The MG L2 (1933-1934) was a 2-seater sports car which used a smaller version of the 6 cylinder overhead camshaft, crossflow engine which now had a capacity of 1086 cc with a bore of 57 mm and stroke of 71 mm and produced 41 bhp (31 kW) at 5500 rpm. It was previously fitted in the 1930 Wolseley Hornet and the 1931 MG F-type Magna .

An odd thing which may just be a typo or indicates that the engine may have possibly been changed is that the DVLA list this particular vehicle as having a 1098cc engine?

Drive was to the rear wheels through a four speed non-synchro gearbox. The chassis was a narrower version of that used in the K-type with suspension by half elliptic springs all round with rigid front and rear axles.
The L-Type was a successful competition car with victories in the 1933 Alpine Trial and Brooklands relay race.

The number still in existance I've been unable to pin in down, believe me this was not through lack trying. I have found them all over the world and a few in Bryan's neck of the woods, who probably knows the owner of this one. So I have seen at least 20 so I am going to hazard a guess at 45.

As I will not be available until Tuesday night and just in case my answer is accepted I don't want to leave you without a challenge, so take a look at this

Similar question to Bryan's, what's it's name and how many were produced, what directly proceeded this and how many of those were made? You will need to be precise in your answer ;) A little background would be nice :yesnod:

BTW If your name begins with Tsleig you will need to be so precise that if what you write doesn't match word for word what I have as the answer then ..... well lets just leave it at that :lol:
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Clarification
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33261
What the hell is a guided busway.

You southerners :nonod:

We have a similar system. We call it a train.
by cjj

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33265
CJJ - You have Buses and Trains ?? B****** H*** You're sooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky. :ohmy:

We only have horses and carts and providing an MG link could be very tenuous (and tedious)!! :bust:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33266

cjj wrote: What the hell is a guided busway.

You southerners :nonod:

We have a similar system. We call it a train.

We can't afford trains, so we build concrete tracks instead of metal ones and run buses down them! Costs millions!

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33276
I believe this is an MG L2 Magna from 1933

There were only 90 produced. The MG L2 (1933-1934) was a 2-seater sports car which used a smaller version of the 6 cylinder overhead camshaft, crossflow engine which now had a capacity of 1086 cc with a bore of 57 mm and stroke of 71 mm and produced 41 bhp (31 kW) at 5500 rpm. It was previously fitted in the 1930 Wolseley Hornet and the 1931 MG F-type Magna .

An odd thing which may just be a typo or indicates that the engine may have possibly been changed is that the DVLA list this particular vehicle as having a 1098cc engine?

Drive was to the rear wheels through a four speed non-synchro gearbox. The chassis was a narrower version of that used in the K-type with suspension by half elliptic springs all round with rigid front and rear axles.
The L-Type was a successful competition car with victories in the 1933 Alpine Trial and Brooklands relay race.

The number still in existance I've been unable to pin in down, believe me this was not through lack trying. I have found them all over the world and a few in Bryan's neck of the woods, who probably knows the owner of this one. So I have seen at least 20 so I am going to hazard a guess at 45.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_---____-_--___________________________________________________________________________

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: VERY WELL DONE, i must really make them harder :rant: :rant: ~~~ i do know the owner of this one and will check the actual engine size. There are 46 still in use and a person in the MG Car Club has all of the Chassis files (he also has an L2) many changes were made along the way and it could have been slightly different from the "standard spec" when it left the factory. This one was Cream with brown leather when it left the factory. The owner also has a K1 in original condition, 4 previous owners and one of 50 made because of an unusual engine they fitted, single SU carb and a supercharger (it currently is only doing 8 miles to the gallon) see if i can find a picture.

AGAIN, WELL DONE
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33279
:omg: 46 my stab at 45 was a pure guess :unsure: I'd better go and fill in a lottery ticket now :yesnod:

Ok Bryan I found out about the the Supercharged L2 so had a photo ready to add to my answer -

Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by PQD44.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33281
Here is a reminder of the current question

Similar question to Bryan's question;

What's it's name and how many were produced?
What directly proceeded this and how many of those were made?

You will need to be precise in your answer ;) A little background info would be nice too :yesnod:

BTW If your name begins with Tsleig you will need to be so precise that if what you write doesn't match word for word what I have as the answer then ..... well lets just leave it at that shall we :lol:
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33283
This is the1933 K1 that i was looking for, it was one of 50 that came out of the factory with a 1297cc , six cylinder, overhead camshaft supercharged engine. The L2 you have shown had that supercharger grafted on!!!!!

And the supercharger!!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
Time to create page: 0.645 seconds