MG Quiz

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33285

bryan young wrote: ....The L2 you have shown had that supercharger grafted on!!!!!

I believe this is one of the original 1933 competition cars which racked up victories in the 1933 Alpine Trial and Brooklands relay race. There were only a few (three ?) of these made.

Reminder for current question see the black and white photo in my post on page 118
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by PQD44.
The topic has been locked.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33292

Tsleight wrote: Correct Bryan. Although according to MGOC its the LAST production MGB - maybe the last car off the line wasn't a production model?

http://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgoc&a=&p=&mode=newsind&newsid=LAST+PRODUCTION+MGB+MAKES+DRAMATIC+RETURN+TO+TOWN+OF+ITS+BIRTH

:woohoo: FOUND IT, FOUND IT ;) The Last MGB off the production line on 23 October1980 was a Pewter GT (LE) Vin 523002.
the one going into the museum was the last Roadster in Bronze made on the same day with VIN 523001 (so it was the penultimate car :thumbsup:

Vin 523000 was the last NE American spec car and was presented to Henry Ford for his collection.

There were also a number of "run out models" made during September/ October which were not always to production standard. :bust:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsleight
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33306
Geek. ;)
by cjj
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33308
:nonod: Please, cjj

It's MGeek

You need precise information in this thread :P
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33309

PQD44 wrote: I believe this is an MG L2 Magna from 1933

There were only 90 produced. The MG L2 (1933-1934) was a 2-seater sports car which used a smaller version of the 6 cylinder overhead camshaft, crossflow engine which now had a capacity of 1086 cc with a bore of 57 mm and stroke of 71 mm and produced 41 bhp (31 kW) at 5500 rpm. It was previously fitted in the 1930 Wolseley Hornet and the 1931 MG F-type Magna .

An odd thing which may just be a typo or indicates that the engine may have possibly been changed is that the DVLA list this particular vehicle as having a 1098cc engine?

Drive was to the rear wheels through a four speed non-synchro gearbox. The chassis was a narrower version of that used in the K-type with suspension by half elliptic springs all round with rigid front and rear axles.
The L-Type was a successful competition car with victories in the 1933 Alpine Trial and Brooklands relay race.

The number still in existance I've been unable to pin in down, believe me this was not through lack trying. I have found them all over the world and a few in Bryan's neck of the woods, who probably knows the owner of this one. So I have seen at least 20 so I am going to hazard a guess at 45.

As I will not be available until Tuesday night and just in case my answer is accepted I don't want to leave you without a challenge, so take a look at this

Similar question to Bryan's, what's it's name and how many were produced, what directly proceeded this and how many of those were made? You will need to be precise in your answer ;) A little background would be nice :yesnod:

BTW If your name begins with Tsleig you will need to be so precise that if what you write doesn't match word for word what I have as the answer then ..... well lets just leave it at that :lol:

Don't worry! There's no hope of me answering this one... :nonod: :blink:

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33311
Excuse an old f*** but What? Why? Which question? I presume that was the one going in through the window and not the "mock up" with the Maestro wheels travelling down a bus route with Windmills in the background with a supercharged bike in the centre? I'm off to "Confused.com" to sort out my hospital visit for the mentally challenged and challenging. :coat:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33315
Take a deep breath, ....... and out........in..........out. ok here we go

PQD44 wrote: Here is a reminder of the current question

Similar question to Bryan's question;

What's it's name and how many were produced?
What directly proceeded this and how many of those were made?

You will need to be precise in your answer ;) A little background info would be nice too :yesnod:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33328
:bust: :shrug: I give up, have not got any idea what this is apart from the fact that it has Montego wheels. :rant:
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by bryan young
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Unneeded quote removed
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33329
ok looks like we could do with a few of pointers

bryan young wrote: :bust: :shrug: I give up, have not got any idea what this is apart from the fact that it has Montego wheels. :rant:

Bryan you have described this before :nonod: " not got any idea " you must be searching too far from home.

I will just say that what proceeded wore a bra and went to

Funny thing is, despite appearances, none of this is really cryptic.
Attachments:

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33330
D02
Twenty six "DO2" cars were made. They were very close to the final production design and were used to test parameters that could not be done with the earlier prototypes. This included Crash Testing and engine cooling. These cars were heavily disguised and finished in NATO green or striking black and white stripes !

After that the D1:
Thirty four of these cars were built in July to August 1994. They were the first "off tools" prototypes. In November 1994 a D1 was heat tested in the Arizona Desert but in disguised form wearing a GRP "Bra". The D1 testing would continue well into 1995 after the official launch date - the car could then be free of extra bodywork after that.

http://www.mgfregister.org/mgpitfiles/sef/milestones/MGF%20Milestones.htm

Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by Tsleight
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Mr Forgetful

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33332
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat DO1 DO2 - what the **** and I thought it might be a disguised tester for the MG GT? :rant: All I had worked out after hours and hours was that I could not find anything remotely like it on the "Internettie" and It's too far to go to Gaydon for a visit. We don't have bus "pathways" here - only the main Roman road from Isca to Lindinis (Ilchester - for the Greek not Roman scolars!!) :broon:

Now that's an idea - what about Greek or Roman connections to MG ?? :bust:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33333

Mr Forgetful wrote: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat DO1 DO2 - what the **** and I thought it might be a disguised tester for the MG GT? :rant: All I had worked out after hours and hours was that I could not find anything remotely like it on the "Internettie" and It's too far to go to Gaydon for a visit. We don't have bus "pathways" here - only the main Roman road from Isca to Lindinis (Ilchester - for the Greek not Roman scolars!!) :broon:

Now that's an idea - what about Greek or Roman connections to MG ?? :bust:

I was in Puerto Rico with Interstate PR3 for a while! Duh... :blink:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful
Time to create page: 0.788 seconds