MGTF PolyBush compliance bushes

Replied by Cobber on topic MGTF PolyBush compliance bushes

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208527
I’m a F’er not a TF’er so I’m not all that familiar with the TF suspension, so I’m only really guessing 

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:1 week 1 day ago by Cobber
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Cobber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Freshmemes on topic MGTF PolyBush compliance bushes

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208528
I have been looking into it for a few months and I have changed the rose joint style bushes on the upper arms and shocks and the ball joints on the hubs. I cant find it at he moment but there was a youtube video that detailed the same noise in which he put a rubber disc on top of the bush that fixed the issue, so I am considering removing a trailing arm to ensure that is whats causing it, but that's quite a big job in itself

EDIT: link to suspension diagram https://www.16vminiclub.com/forum/general-public-area/rover-chat/20901-anyone-used-a-mgtf-frame-including-suspension
Last Edit:1 week 1 day ago by Freshmemes
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Freshmemes.

Replied by Delbourt on topic MGTF PolyBush compliance bushes

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208530
Don’t forget the small cross-bar that sits on top of the compliance bush. As far as I am aware it is prevented from metal to metal contact by a rubber/polymer additional component that is like a thick washer sitting on top of the bush that is pressed into the metalwork of the compliance bush assembly.
Could it be that polymer washer that is missing/damaged?

Replied by MGB281 on topic MGTF PolyBush compliance bushes

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208531
I did a complete front and rear suspension rebuild just over a year ago, the subframes were replaced with galvanised ones and every wheel bearing and ball joint bar the rear track control ones. Poly bushes were fitted all round with the idea of making it maintenance free for a few years. I think that replacing the rear compliance bushes are down to if they are worn out, but it is also down to where and how you drive. We drive over Exmoor quite a lot, especially from now until Easter while the roads are very quiet. At times we do push the car to its limit and that is where the polybushes all round and the big brake discs come into their own. If you are just out for a normal drive then I wouldn’t bother, the ride is much firmer, not uncomfortable but firmer. 
by MGB281

Posted 1 week 10 hours ago #208571
I believe that rubber part on top of the compliance bush is what has worn through allowing for metal to metal contact which causes the noise.

EDIT: found the video
here you can clearly see how it wears through
Last Edit:1 week 10 hours ago by Freshmemes
Last edit: 1 week 10 hours ago by Freshmemes.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic MGTF PolyBush compliance bushes

Posted 6 days 19 hours ago #208580
That certainly looks like a solution to the compliance problem on a TF. The only comment I would make would be the material he used to make the doughnut didn't look like a "permanent" fix.
I would probably use a harder plastic material rather than rubber. As I did when I fixed my compliance bush issue with the F.

2mm thick ABS plastic.

I fitted these over 10 years ago and they are still in A1 condition. They are 60-61mm outside diameter;25mm internal diameter. I used a number of them as shims to take up the worn space on the compliance bush, which is the issue on the F.

I see that the TF polybush kit uses a separate poly doughnut

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:6 days 18 hours ago by David Aiketgate
Last edit: 6 days 18 hours ago by David Aiketgate.

Posted 4 days 9 hours ago #208621
thats correct and they do look to be quite thick on the polybush ones, given my schedule Ill likely be looking at doing something in November, if I do end up replacing them with polybushes I will try to document it for a how to guide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds