Website operating costs

• psymon
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX

Website operating costs was created by psymon

Posted 1 day 14 hours ago #208507
For many years we've been providing this website free of charge, with all related costs (Domain Name, Hosting and software etc..) coming out of our pocket.  Over the years those costs have increased and still are. To ensure the site keeps running, I need to look at ways of making it a little more self supporting financially.

One possible solution that I'm currently exploring is allowing adverts on the site, and i'm experimenting with this now.
Personally I'm not fan of random adverts all over websites, so please be assured The-T-Bar isn't going to turn into one of those sites littered with adverts that end up blocking the content your trying to read.

One advert space per page is probably going to be my limit, I'm playing with possible locations within the site to ensure it'll be unobtrusive as possible.

If you do see any adverts which block content or negatively effect the layout of the site please let me know

Finally, any adverts that are displayed to you are chosen by Google automatically based on your browsing habits, Not chosen by us.
by psymon
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Airportable

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic Website operating costs

Posted 1 day 11 hours ago #208508
I'd be happy to pay a monthly or annual amount if thats the alternative to adverts.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Cobber on topic Website operating costs

Posted 1 day 11 hours ago #208509
I don't so much mind ads on forums but I find ones that make the page jump all over the place as they load bloody annoying, you have the page open and go to click on something of interest  like to enlarge a photo or to link to something relevant just as a bloody ad loads to the very spot on the screen of where you're clicking and next thing you know is your on some bastard advertisers site.....that shits me to tears!
Maybe a two tier membership might be the answer Teir #1 free with ads Tier #2 subscription ad free...... maybe we could even go to Tier 3 with some extra perks at a higher subscription rate if some can extra perks can be figured out though I couldn't really say what these might be.
But I s'pose a multi tier membership could become an administrative pain in the arse. The last thing you need is more work!!!
I just thought That I'd throw a few targets into the air so as to see which ones fly and which get shot down.........PULL!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by Airportable on topic Website operating costs

Posted 1 day 10 hours ago #208510
A two tier system sounds good, tier two for those who are prepared to pay a subscription (members) & an open to all comers with advertising (associate members). 
Both associate & full members should be able to contribute & as now, where anyone can view. 
And what advantage would a full member have, over an associate? 
Possibly a card from David at Christmas !
M

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Website operating costs

Posted 1 day 6 hours ago #208512
No chance, not even my relatives get Christmas cards!

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:1 day 6 hours ago by David Aiketgate
Last edit: 1 day 6 hours ago by David Aiketgate.

Replied by Cobber on topic Website operating costs

Posted 1 day 6 hours ago #208515

No chance, not even my relatives get Christmas cards!

BAH HUMBUG!  eh?

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by Airportable on topic Website operating costs

Posted 1 day 4 hours ago #208520
I knew the Christmas card gag would trigger you Cobbs, however I did think David might be more amenable.
If you were to get some monogrammed T-Bar cards all that would be required of you would be an oily thumb print in the corner of the card.
M

Replied by R40MGF on topic Website operating costs

Posted 7 hours 26 minutes ago #208563
Maybe we could have a "donate to the site " tab?

by R40MGF

Replied by generous_dad on topic Website operating costs

Posted 7 hours 23 minutes ago #208565
How much are we talking?

Time to create page: 0.648 seconds