K series V8

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic K series V8

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208712
My you are modern......78s? I thought you might still be using Edison cylinders for your toe-tappin' toons!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Airportable on topic K series V8

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208713
I have one of those also. You can still buy cylinders for both two & four minute players.
Sadly the stylus on my Gem has broken & I’m having to rebuild it, as modern (Berliner) gramophone records have their grooves “side to side” a cylinder player is up & down; hill & dale. Get the profile wrong & you will cut your own track in the wax.
M

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208714
Now did I know that you would have one???? I must know you well.......not bad considering we're on opposite side of the world and have never actually met!

by Cobber

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208715
I included this especially for you Cobber. It just shows how much of a modern man I am, it will also bolster your opinion of my character as a firm member of modernity
Of course my up-to-date outlook helps me as I navigate life in Britain 🇬🇧
As I draw inspiration from the heady days of the last century.
The days when you could buy Whitworth, UNF & metric to use on the same vehicle. When a Bicycle thread request wasn’t met with a blank look & all the thimbles on a new lathe would be imperial, you would expect halfcrowns & florins in your change from a ten bob note after buying a packet of Gold Leaf.
M

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208716
I thought I’d mastered the picture but; obviously not. Try again. 
Last Edit:1 week 4 days ago by Airportable
Last edit: 1 week 4 days ago by David Aiketgate. Reason: Click on the insert button!
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic K series V8

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208717
The photo was there under the post, you just need to remember to click on the INSERT button.

David
:shrug:

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #208718
Thanks David, I really should have got used to it by now. However I use simple failures like this as lightning rods, constant success would be an indicator of not having enough to be thinking about.
M

Replied by MGB281 on topic K series V8

Posted 1 week 3 days ago #208736
I am pleased to say that my MGB GT will have Whitworth, UNF, BSP and Metric hardware all over it. That is if one BSP fitting counts as Whitworth or perhaps double counts as BSP as well. 
We came across a stash of “threpnees” the other day and have now found a use for them, they fit those coin operated locks on shopping trolleys. 
by MGB281

Posted 1 week 3 days ago #208742
It’s worth looking at the Villiers/Connaught V10 family of engines. These are narrow angle modular V engines with one head accommodating both bank. These can be assembled in V4, V6, V8 & V10, even the crank is modular.
There is an MX-5 being prepared to receive one of these V10s, if a V10 will fit an MX-5 then why not a V8 variant in one of our cars.
This company is in Swaffham in Norfolk but what about our outlying college, Cobber.
I was recently reacquainted with an engine wizard in New Zealand.
Harley Engines & Motorsport build some tasty tackle & as our antipodean friend has an encyclopaedic knowledge, maybe Cobb’s might supply more info.
Obviously I can hear folk shouting gearbox; there must be something that could withstand the grunt without gargantuan dimensions.
Just a thought.
M

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #208748
There is a old fashioned rule of thumb that was used as a rough guide to he strength of a gearbox.
It  involved the space between the the shafts the further apart they are the bigger the gear diameters will be, the bigger the syncros, splies etc. can be, the more torque it will probably be able to handle.
Unfortunately the required economy of space we will most likely require will probably work against us.

Stuffing big engines into MX5s is nothing new, there is a mob here in Oz  that jams V8's into them, at first they used Ford V8s, the Windsor family of engines being quite compact, but it wasn't long before they switched and stuffed the quad cam Lexus V8s in them.......bloody things go like the clappers!

by Cobber

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #208749

I am pleased to say that my MGB GT will have Whitworth, UNF, BSP and Metric hardware all over it. That is if one BSP fitting counts as Whitworth or perhaps double counts as BSP as well. 
We came across a stash of “threpnees” the other day and have now found a use for them, they fit those coin operated locks on shopping trolleys. 

Nah I've had to deal with cars that sported much more fastener variety, try Whitworth, BS (the threads are the same form but the bolt head sizes are different), BSF, UNC, UNF, metric fine, metric, metric course, BSP, BSPT, NP, NPT, and the odd cycle thread thrown in of the devilment of it. this was not unusual in Aussie cars of the 70's, as they had components mostly locally made by companies that just used the old threads that they had always used (it would depend on the age of the design of the component), imported parts that used whatever thread system they used in their home country, the slow conversion transition of the local car industry to metric. and then there were idiots that would butcher in any old bolt they had lying around whenever they were working on the car.
To make things even trickier the French weren't content to use normal metric sized blots, they had to use  a smattering of M7, M9, etc. when everyone else decided to stick to M5, M6, M8, M10  etc.
Then we have the Italians who seemed to hate the fact that you might have spanners in your set that you might never need, so to address this they would build the car with bolt that, although they used the same bolt sizes they would mix up the bolt head sizes!

by Cobber

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #208750
There are two tools recently bought (within the last ten years) which I never considered I would ever need, one was a metric thread gauge & the second a metric thread chaser.
Taps & dies; I don’t consider purchases such as these, in whatever thread form unusual, these are bought to sort compatibility when making an item to chime with existing piece of equipment.
Needing to ascertain a mystery thread form or rechaseing a damaged thread didn’t enter any equation when I stopped restoring all comers.
Anyone any thoughts on the Villiers engine?
M
M

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds