K series V8

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic K series V8

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #208752
I haven't  looked into it yet.........it's the weekend, so I'm saving it up to do at work during the week.
After all it's better to get paid to do it, at an exorbitant rate, on company time, than do it in my own time!
The y pay me to sit about on my arse with bugger all to do, so that I'm there in place to save the day just in case some disaster happens that could close down production during the night shift.
I'll probably be be done with this client at the end of this coming week, who knows where my company will send me next, It might even be to a client that actually expects me o do something. The nature of my job is either feast or famine, the next gig might be some joint that's falling apart at the seams and I'll spend the entire shift running about like a blue arsed fly, trying to sort multiple stuff ups consecutively.
Mind you since my heart attack the company is being very careful about where they send me.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:1 week 2 days ago by Cobber
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208767
I had a bit of a gander at the Villiers engines......very interesting especially the X20! A V8 version should easily fit in our cars, the V10 might be too long, we would need some dimensions to know for sure.
I got interrupted by a breakdown last night so I actually had to do something to justify my employment! I'll do more study tonight!

by Cobber

Replied by Airportable on topic K series V8

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #208768
The X20 is quite something, I’ve seen a dimensional mock-up of it, just the size of the block & it’s no bigger than these wheeled bags that follow people around.
That would make some noise!
M

Posted 1 week 18 hours ago #208783
Come on chaps, join in, let’s have your thoughts. Unless you do this bit of esoterica will end up as two silly old gezzers muttering in a corner, to the point where we’re better using PMs rather than open forum.
I’m aware that there’s members out there who’s ideas are on the periphery of sanity.
Let’s have a few more contributions.
M

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 1 week 17 hours ago #208784

Airportable post=208783 userid=5200Come on chaps, join in, let’s have your thoughts. Unless you do this bit of esoterica will end up as two silly old gezzers muttering in a corner, to the point where we’re better using PMs rather than open forum.
I’m aware that there’s members out there who’s ideas are on the periphery of sanity.
Let’s have a few more contributions.
M

I agree, the more outrageous the better, whist something is still just an idea it's not a bad idea.....it can only become a bad Idea when it's put into practice and it is proven not to work, even then the failure may be because of poor execution or insufficient development, it may well be that the idea's time hasn't come yet due to the current technology required to support it doesn't yet exist?
So don't be embarrassed, that your thoughts may seem a bit mad, have a go! Dare to dream!

I had a look at Hartley engines I like the manifolds they're doing for the Jap V12s these engines have always been to conservative in their application and tune. Why stuff an engine with so much potential into a boring fat slug of a Luxobarge? I have looked at various privately imported Toyota Centurys with the V12 they are remarkably cheap as no one really knows what they are here, usually low mileage and stuffed to the gunwales with weird and wonderful luxury gizmos. I've toyed with the idea of buying one, and using it until the aforementioned gizmos start to inevitably shit themselves, the pulling the drive-line out of it to shove into something else! throwing the rest of the car away.
The Toyota Century is absolutely to top of the Toyota hirachy and makes the top line Lexus models look like the government fleet issue economy poverty pack in comparison!
They are rather boring to look at, this example is finished in charcoal beige..........they are all some shade of beige! 

Last Edit:1 week 17 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 1 week 17 hours ago by Cobber.

Posted 1 week 10 hours ago #208787
There’s a new & very fancy superdoooper hyped up hyperbolic HyperCar called the Nilu 27 & that boasts a V12 Hartley engine below the rather fetching knot of exhaust plumbing.
I have no idea what the car is like, probably like a slightly melted Aston Valkyrie, with the capacity to transport your internal organs to geographic positions unknown in the human frame. A kidney in your ear anyone. But I do like the exhaust.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Posted 5 days 22 hours ago #208829
One last hurrah before this topic totters towards totality.
I mentioned Allan Millyard earlier, he has just finished rebuilding the Norton Nemesis motorbike, this had as a 1.5ltr V8 in it/on it.
Now that would slot in nicely, complete with its gearbox.
Arranging a chain drive might be interesting but you could certainly pop one of those at either end of an f or tf.
Would that be classed as a 3ltr V16?
He has built a 5ltr V twin bike out of the remains of an old radial aero engine & an 8ly r V10 bike using a Viper engine, I don’t think it has a gearbox; big clutch in or out! fantastic.
Allan has a series of YouTube videos going through its stripping & reassembly, it’s worth a watch for his precision.
Have a gander, it puts a head job on a K series in perspective.
M
Last Edit:5 days 22 hours ago by Airportable
Last edit: 5 days 22 hours ago by Airportable. Reason: Another thought!

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 5 days 19 hours ago #208831
There's a bloke here in Oz that cut 2 cylinders off the end of a buggered Rolls Royce Merlin 27 litre  V12 aero engine to make a large V twin, and stuffed the monster in to a motor cycle.
The thing only had to fire about the equivalent of once every second fence post that it passed, to be traveling at an obscene rate of knots!

I love truly insane acts of engineering like that..............totally pointless and the only reason for they're justification is "Because we can".........it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to behold their splendor!

Last Edit:5 days 15 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 5 days 15 hours ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Posted 5 days 15 hours ago #208837
The world would be much poorer without without individuals like these grand folks.
It’s not just in the execution at such a remarkably high standard of workmanship but the vision to be so inspired. You also have to have access to such a far out starting point as your spring board.
I’m not all that keen on the shark fairing, however it’s understandable considering what you have bobbing about off shore.
M

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 5 days 15 hours ago #208840
Yeah the fairing does look a bit of an afterthought but I suspect it's an absolute necessity give that the bloody thing is meant to be capable of @400km/h!
You'd be blown of the damned thing at that speed, let alone be able to hold you head forward, or being able to breath or see.....even with a full faced helmet the wind buffeting under the visor would make you eyes water!
Kind of important to see where your going at that speed.......mind you, it might be better if you couldn't!

Last Edit:5 days 14 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 5 days 14 hours ago by Cobber.

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Posted 5 days 14 hours ago #208841
And then you have the lunatics at Radial Motion here in Oz building a 3cyl radial engine and stuffing it in motorcycles, VW beetles and god only knows what else.
Their web site is here: https://www.radialmotion.com.au/

Last Edit:5 days 14 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 5 days 14 hours ago by Cobber.

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds