good ol srs warning light

good ol srs warning light was created by judiths handyman

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208719
Afternoon fellow MGers.
I have the srs warning light on and have disconnected and reconnected the clip under the passenger seat a few times without success, I wondered if anyone has experience of curing this please?
Thanks, Richard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic good ol srs warning light

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208720
Try the driver's side next if you haven't already.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

The following user(s) said Thank You: judiths handyman

Replied by Airportable on topic good ol srs warning light

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208724
Is your car an f or a tf? The earlier cars had a poor connector (red) under the seats, later cars had an improved device (white/yellow).
Your problem might lay in those.
The SRS system is a stand alone circuit, from the controller behind the centre console, the yellow wire running to the airbag in the steering wheel, if you have a passenger airbag, to that, to the two seat pads & finally to the two explosive charges in the seat belt buckles.
If everything looks good on visual inspection, it’s time to breakout the test meter & start with the clock spring in the steering wheel.
Do observe all precaution, as implied there are small charges in the system, I’ve often thought of setting one off but it might cause a mess & as I’m a right tight old bastard I wouldn’t want to buy a replacement kit.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, judiths handyman

Replied by Cobber on topic good ol srs warning light

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208725
Air bags do go off with a bit of a bang, a lot of energy is released quite suddenly so some caution is advised when working on/or around them.
It is reccommended that before buggerising around with them, that you 1st disconnect the battery and just let it sit for a little while, (1/2 an hour) before you start work.
The purpose of this is so that you don't accidentally get a short and it gives any stray residual current has time to discharge and not set off the airbag in your face!
Deliberately firing off old discarded airbags is great fun, (I've done it) but potentially dangerous, and only people with proper training with dangerous goods like explosives (I have) should attempt it in a controlled environment, (that should appease the safety Nazis)
Look, you would have to do something real bloody silly and be even unluckier for one to kill you (there are a great many real bloody silly and unlucky people out there), but a great deal of respect is still required as they could bloody hurt and seriously injure you.
If this makes feel uneasy about working on them, then handball the job to a professional.

I do have a few old airbags lying about, Maybe I should do a safety video of one going off to demonstrate how dangerous they can be?.......all in the name of safety education of course!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: judiths handyman

Replied by judiths handyman on topic good ol srs warning light

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208726
Many thanks people, notanumber was quite right I am delighted to say. 
I had waggled the passenger side with vigour but was lax with the drivers side, I disconnected and reconnected the drivers side with gust and hey presto, the light is off.
I imagine it may come back again, but hey ho, I shall give it another go.
Out of interest it is fitted with the later white and yellow connectors.
Thanks again. Till next time.

Replied by Notanumber on topic good ol srs warning light

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208728
Glad it wasn't something tricky such as the clockspring.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds