Quick question on headlights.

Quick question on headlights. was created by TA22GT

Posted 5 days 20 hours ago #208833
Can the headlight lens be removed from the unit?
My OSF headlight has fog on the inside. I have done my usual headlight sanding and polishing and can see it is internal.
They aren't cheap to buy!
Thanks  Brian
by TA22GT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 20 hours ago #208834
1st there is no such thing as a quick question regarding the headlights, the damned things are questionable on every level, even at the best of times! this is a trait they share with many other modern cars..........Geez I miss the old 7" rounds and quad 5" rounds, you would swap out the factory installed rubbish for some quality from Cibie, Hella or some such in minutes! At the worst you'd have to add relays, taking a little more time.
With modern cars we have to suffer the rubbish that the bean counters decided we should have in order to sharpen their priority of the bottom line.

I've not done the TF headlights so I can't help you much with those as I have an F, and those in the F can be dismantled with great care required. but  I'm sure someone will be along soon to enlighten you as to the peculiarities of TF headlight surgery. 

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:5 days 20 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 5 days 20 hours ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TA22GT

Replied by judiths handyman on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 19 hours ago #208835
I did not have the problem described until I fitted the rear rubber cover that was missing, I can only assume the rear cover is holding the moist air in, as removal of said cover cured the issue over a week or so.
Not the solution I know, but the headlamps are in a fairly well protected area anyway without need for the covers, in my opinion.
And yes, they are bloomin expensive.

Replied by TA22GT on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 19 hours ago #208836
Thanks for that! 
It does look like condensation to a point and I was hoping my DA polisher would warm the glass enough to disperse it.
I'm about to go and remove the rubber covers and give it a try.

Edit: covers removed and fingers crossed.
Last Edit:5 days 18 hours ago by TA22GT
Last edit: 5 days 18 hours ago by TA22GT. Reason: additional information.

Replied by judiths handyman on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 17 hours ago #208838
I did also clean the lamp glasses externally, I used very fine wet and dry paper, 1200 or some such and a proprietary 3M lens cleaning kit. It worked very well all in all.
I think I may refit the dust caps but punch a hole somewhere to allow airflow.

Posted 5 days 17 hours ago #208839
In my spare time I sometimes refinish guitars for friends and so I have grades from 80 -5000 and I usually start with about 1000 and work up to 3000. 
After that my DA will polish it to a mirror shine.
I did think about putting holes in the rubber but I will wait to see if removing them cures the problem.
Thanks for your help.
by TA22GT

Replied by MGB281 on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 16 hours ago #208842
It isn't hard to remove the clear "lens" from the black headlight moulding, you just put it into an oven with the temperature set at 135C for seven minutes. Then using those plastic trim removal tools gently work your way around levering the lens off. You will find that you will have to reheat the headlight again before it eventually come off. To refit the lens you will need some butyl tape which you cut to length and fit into the black headlight moulding, another seven minute in the oven and press the clear lens into the butyl strip. It's not too bad after you have d0ne the first ne..
4PCS CAR TRIM REMOVAL TOOL KIT SET PANEL DOOR PLASTIC PRY DASH INTERIOR CLIP
Completed

Butyl Tape Rubber Glue Headlight Sealant Retrofit Reseal Headlamps Door 4M 13FT
Buy It Now
Last Edit:5 days 16 hours ago by MGB281
Last edit: 5 days 16 hours ago by MGB281.

Posted 5 days 16 hours ago #208843
Wow MGB821....you have certainly done your homework and got stuck in to all things MGF TF!  
You make it sound so easy like baking a pie. Thanks for the info because if it doesn't clear on it's own I just might be having a go at that. I understand you have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlight unit? 
I need to sell my MX5 so I can get my TF in the garage and lay it up whilst I do a few jobs on it. The kind of jobs that don't have to be completed in one day and the car can be left in bits.
I see you put Bilsteins on your car..B8's by chance? Did you use std springs or uprated? I have them on my MX5 and it's quite a firm ride with upgraded springs. 
Thanks for any help on the suspension.
by TA22GT

Replied by generous_dad on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 15 hours ago #208844
Yes, MGB821, a very good reply.
Is this already in the How To? If not, I think it should be.

Replied by Pharg55 on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 15 hours ago #208845
If it's condensation, try removing the bulbs, and as I did, use the blower function of a workshop vaccum cleaner to blow through one of the orifices. ( Presuming you can blow clean air!) The air from the blower is usually warmer, so it'll clear the moisture after a while.
by Pharg55

Replied by MGB281 on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 15 hours ago #208846

Yes, MGB821, a very good reply.
Is this already in the How To? If not, I think it should be.

I didn't look but it is already in the "how to's"  https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/54-how-tos/96076-daytime-running-lights-cob-led-halo-s-for-the-tf#184927
I just typed from memory from when I fitted Halo lights to our TF

by MGB281

Posted 5 days 15 hours ago #208847

If it's condensation, try removing the bulbs, and as I did, use the blower function of a workshop vaccum cleaner to blow through one of the orifices. ( Presuming you can blow clean air!) The air from the blower is usually warmer, so it'll clear the moisture after a while.

I'm not 100% convinced it is condensation. It's not like fine water bubbles it's milky grey mainly at the top edge. I have power next to where it is parked so I will try a hairdryer on it tomorrow and see how I get on. 

by TA22GT

Time to create page: 2.563 seconds