Quick question on headlights.

Replied by TA22GT on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 15 hours ago #208848
Managed to blow up a pic of when it was in the garage. I can assure you the outer lens has been finely polished. The marks you see are inside the lens.   
Last Edit:5 days 15 hours ago by TA22GT
Last edit: 5 days 15 hours ago by TA22GT. Reason: Info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 11 hours ago #208850
Last year i used a variation of Pharg55's method, removed the bulbs and left my daughter's hairdrier pointed into each headlight until they cleared. The fog is back again now so i will experiment with leaving out the rubber bungs to see if they self cure.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 3 hours ago #208851
As with Cobber, I no longer have experience with the tf, although I don’t recall a condensation problem when I had one in the fleet.
However it occurs, why not put a small sachet of silica gel desiccant in the rear of the lamp housing.
You know the stuff, it’s those little bags that come in Chinese stuff & has Do Not Eat printed on just in case your stupid & really really hungry when your unpacking your new XYZ.
I have a large pack in the passenger footwell which is very effective in keeping moisture at bay. Just a thought.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: c13amb

Replied by Notanumber on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 37 minutes ago #208855
A mate of mine became addicted to silica gel for a while.

It was a bit worrying but he's since dried out though

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 5 days 7 minutes ago #208858
The Americans have adult nappies, containing silica gel for elderly gentleman who have incontinence problems. When I was told this I thought they were taking the piss.
M

Replied by Cobber on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 4 days 22 hours ago #208863
An audible groan is heard from the audience.
OK you two, perhaps it's best if I do the jokes!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:4 days 22 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 4 days 22 hours ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TA22GT

Posted 4 days 21 hours ago #208864
by TA22GT

Posted 4 days 21 hours ago #208865
oh you guys are on a roll this morning...
by TA22GT

Posted 4 days 21 hours ago #208866
On the task in hand..

I have had the hairdryer on it this morning..the one I keep in my MX5 glovebox along with other products..and it is definitely condensation. I only had time to give it a short go because I was in my pyjama's and the neighbours were stirring.
It has a deep grey rim around the top and it's rather like swilling out a cup of coffee...most goes but you are left with a ring around the cup which needs physical abrasion. I think the lens needs the same.
I think that is a great anology guys..you have to admit...
by TA22GT

Replied by Cobber on topic Quick question on headlights.

Posted 4 days 18 hours ago #208869

On the task in hand..

I have had the hairdryer on it this morning..the one I keep in my MX5 glovebox along with other products..and it is definitely condensation. I only had time to give it a short go because I was in my pyjama's and the neighbours were stirring.

Could've been worse.............Just think how the neighbours would've reacted if you were hanging out of your pajamas........I dare say that they would have been well and truly stirred by such a display!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Posted 4 days 18 hours ago #208870
No comment!!
by TA22GT

Posted 15 hours 11 minutes ago #208920
Big Thank You to MGB281 for your recipe! 

I decided to give it a go today. Removing the bumper was very easy and I am shocked at how good the metalwork is behind the bumper.

I have to be really honest but the thought of baking my headlamp unit was a bit daunting! I removed the bulbs and placed it in the oven at 140 for about 7 mins. 
It was hot enough to have to wear gloves and I started to pry the lens out. You were right MGB281 I did have to heat it a second time before it  came out.
As I worked I realised that it was best to pry the lens and the seal together from the framework rather than try to pry the lens out of the seal. 
I cleaned up the inside and gave it a final polish with glass cleaner.

I had decided from the outset that I would reseal it with Tiger seal. I cleaned out the locating groove in the headlamp unit and ran Tiger seal around the groove. It pressed back in fairly easily. Once I had the screw back in and the locating lugs folded back on the lens I placed it in the oven at about 50 for 10 mins. This allowed the sealant to harden enough to be firm.
I then filled in the gaps so it was fairly smooth and watertight.  I will fit it all back together tomorrow and try and take some pics. 

The only snag I had was when I tried to remove the microscopically small side light bulb where the whole holder thingy fell apart as it was so brittle. With a bit of a bodge and some superglue I got it back in the right place. I plugged it in briefly to see that the bulb still worked and it did.

The bolts and screws holding the bumper on were as good as the day it was built so I don't anticipate any problems putting it all back....hopefully. We will see how long the lens remains clear!

Thanks to all that contributed. 
by TA22GT

Time to create page: 0.605 seconds