MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36528
This is getting really serious stuff, very hard for my simple brain :bust: some excellent questions though and some good answers too ~~~ Isnt Google a wonderful thing. I wonder if Paul ever thought the MG Quiz would go this far when he startd it all three months ago. :nonod: :nonod:

I only came away from my accounts to see what the lads and lasses were doing, see you are all playing well, so i will go back :broon:
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36529
I've adjusted the answer as you posted!!! :coat:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36531
Another week has been and gone and the T-Bar members have come up with a veritable feast of MG related questions.
We have witnessed some fierce competition and I for one have been in awe of the breadth of knowledge displayed.
To all the participants a well earned round of applause

The scores on the doors after 110 Questions, 1136 replies, over 17,150 views ...... The MG Quiz Hall of Fame

Special mention this week must go to;

Luckymarine, rayb and MartinW who have all joined the ranks of MG Quiz winners :woohoo:

Red Devil, who with an impressive five wins this week, doubles his score to 10 :yesnod: :thumbsup:

p.s. Bryan the MG Quiz has only been going just over 10 weeks now. I always thought it would catch on, but the vast amount of knowledge now embedded within these pages is simply staggering.
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, MartinW

Replied by Red Devil on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36533
Sorry Mr Forgetful still wrong, you are heding in the right direction.

Bryan, I feel your pain.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36534
1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 Total %
USA 0 20 234 1143 423 1820 28%
Australia 2 108 165 599 900 1744 27%
S. Africa4 0 83 139 241 154 617 9%
Switzerland 2 59 142 130 75 408 6%
Belgium 0 27 122 104 33 286 4%
Total 4 297 802 2217 1594 4875
Total Exports 23 610 1162 2815 1883 6593
Percent 17% 49% 69% 78% 80% 74%

I give up :silly:

Ah were there NO Left Hand drive models before the TD so NO TC models were sold LHD - VERY CLEVER :rant:

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36537

Mr Forgetful wrote: Produced - allegedly exactly 10000 (ten thousand as I got an extr 0 on the last answer!!)
0 - 60 22.7 sec
USA L/H drive - ah, a catch here 3640 exported to US ( differing from the commonly thought 2001) but 494 were EXU models and I think all of these were R/H drive so 3640 - 494 = 3146 SORRY that should read 1820 - 494 = 1336 I DOUBLED up

I know, I've got something wrong I expect - b***** wine again :woohoo:

This is one of the Left Hand Drive ones that went out to the USA, the owner is a forum member, he traded his MG Metro in for a 2009 TF135 (the one after the LE500) and that car is shown in the colour charts comparing the early and late BRG colours.
small world in MG circles :woohoo:

And the TF 135 :woohoo:

It is the one on the right.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36538
This is getting really serious stuff, very hard for my simple brain

Oh yer, after the last one of yours Bryan I went and lay down in a dark room - simple hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm B)

Anyway, what's everyone doing up at this hour of the night - I've just got in what are your excuses? :yesnod:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36539
Bryan so this staement is obviously false

Were any TCs made with left-hand drive?

No. The first left-hand drive model was the TD, again, introduced in 1950.
as you have proved that there were LH dive models. So the power of the Internettie is proven wrong. I'm looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost. HELP :nonod:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36540
Well er, er no excuse :bust:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36542

Mr Forgetful wrote: Bryan so this staement is obviously false

as you have proved that there were LH dive models. So the power of the Internettie is proven wrong. I'm looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost. HELP :nonod:

It could be me that is at fault, i am going off to check this green one, it could be a TD :whistle: I will return :coat:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36543
Is that a yes or a no or to quote my "source"

Is it true that the TC actually "introduced sports cars to America"?

Yes and no. Many United States servicemen discovered the T series while serving in Britain during World War II. A few prewar machines were brought back to the United States. And again, only 1820 TCs were exported to the U.S. during the 1946 - 1949 time period so that was not much of a foothold. Also, given the ancestry to the TA, which dated from 1936, the TC model was constructively 13 years old when it yielded to the TD in 1950. It did, however, help dictate the TD design. In addition:

The TD with the first "T" series to offer left-hand drive.
The TD eliminated the classic 19-inch wire wheels for the more cost-effective and practical smaller 15-inch disk wheels. (At not insignificant and initial protest.)
Rack-and-pinion steering and independent front suspension made the TD a much better riding and handling car.
Finally, ten times as many TDs were shipped to America than TCs so it was the volume of the TD that more fully introduced the U.S. to sports cars. The TD gave people something to actually own and try vs. merely admire and crave.

I think I'll read the paper, then go to bed, then look at this tomorrow before or after I play golf - hopefully by then I will have a diffinitive answer .Night Night :coat:

Replied by Red Devil on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36544
If that is a left hand drive model that was supplied new by MG then it kind of wrecks my third question :oops:

I thought the answer was 0 soooooooo Mr Forgetful, you win, question 3 is non and void :)
Time to create page: 0.659 seconds