MG Quiz

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36718
It is the T.G.Sports (1955) from New Zealand with the MX5 engine. Or at least their gallery shows that image ;)
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by MartinW
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by MartinW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36720
Correct. They have built a TF replica for many years, but in 2002 when they updated their design based on a MX5 donor car, Rover brought out their new TF. Therefore they called the kit car the "TG" so they didn't annoy Rover!

http://www.sportscars.co.nz/

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Tsleight
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Unneeded quote removed

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36721
MG have always been associated with Abingdon, and then more latterly Longbridge, and of course are now built in several plants in China. Shipping CKD kits was also part of the deal as was shipping chassis to be rebodied by coach builders overseas.

Name two, or more if you can, factories (plant name, city, country) where MG cars (all MGs that is, not just sports cars) were built with a reasonable local content, and name the models made there.
by MartinW
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36722
BMC at Zetland factory, Australia.

Along with this Completely Knocked Down (CKD) kit cars were an option taken up by Ireland (Eire), Holland and South Africa for the MG Magnette Z type in the 1954 to 1958 period.

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36723
1 factory right, Zetland, but which city?

The Durban plant doesn't count as it was CKD.

Two other plants built MGs with a reasonable level of local content that went beyond CKD.
by MartinW
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36725
Sorry, my mistake didn't read your question carefully.

OK The Zetland factory was in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia which had a 45% local input into the MGB.

The Di Tella Magnetta was produced in Buenos Aires Argentina

Another Morris produced with locally sourced parts was the 'Hindustani' Morris Oxford produced in Port Okha near Gujarat.
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36728
Indeed, the MGB at Zetland, (not the GT though afaik).

I thought of the Di Tella Magnetta but it was really a Riley front end (although there was a saloon with MG style front saloon) and based on the Cambridge. although you are in the right decade for the other two answers and think BMC badge engineering.

As to the Ambi (as the Hindustan Ambassador is known to the locals), that was not MG based, nor sold as an MG.

Siam Di Tella was (still is) an Argentine company dedicated mostly to the manufacturing of semi-heavy machinery and home appliances. By the dawn of the 60s, when many European car manufacturers installed factories in Argentina, Siam Di Tella reached an agreement with BMC to produce the Cambridge line. The first cars which rolled out the lines in 1961 were made almost entirely of locally assembled British components, but by next year they were fully produced in Argentina (following heavy protectionist government guidelines). All these cars were called "Di Tella", although they were externally identical to the Riley 4/72 family. There was the sedan Di Tella 1500, the station wagon Di Tella Traveller and the pick-up (never produced in England) Di Tella Argentina. All of them were fitted with the 1498cc engine and 3 speed manual column change.

In 1964 the factory included the Di Tella Magnette 1622, the model I own, fitted with 4-speed gearbox and the larger engine. The other models also received the 4-speed change.

In 1966 the license was sold to IKA-Renault (IKA was the local affiliate of American Motors). While the Di Tella 1500 remained in production, they facelifted the whole line, launching the Riley 1500 (rear fenders actually were the ones of the Morris), Morris 1650 (the one you call Oxford) in sedan and station wagon models, and MG Magnette 1622 (still the Mk III version, only with MG badges). However, the factory was clearly more dedicated to support sales of their French and American cars, and other mid-size cars like Fiat and Peugeot offered more updated models, so production of the Di Tella family was soon stopped.

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by MartinW
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by MartinW.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36767

Mr Forgetful wrote: Ooooooooh, sounds fun - mine last night was Past (it) Captains :silly: (black tie) but much smaller hence my typing typos (less people more wino). Have fun Brian - I knew you would get this so I hope all the clues help those, like me, who would need to "think" and then research. :lol:

Yes, i did know it was Gerald Palmer, somewhere in the hidden depths of my tiny brain, i can remember him designing a torsion bar type of suspension/axle when he was working for Jowett, the Javelin clue started the little grey cells whirring and a quick look at the Jowett website confirmed this. A very good question you set :thumbsup: now i am understanding how your thought process works. Great night at the club awards night and donated £2000 to eight charities nominated by members. one of our long standing members (about 20 years) just happens to be Captain of the golf club where it was held and as you would expect, everything was perfect. :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsleight

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36780
MartinW

I hate to disagree but as I posted a question (and did a lot of research) on this back in December and I think PQD44 is correct about the Argentina connection :yesnod:
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Argentina/
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgcc/sf/990101.htm
Production was underway by 1960, and cars were pouring out of the Monte Chingolo factory in Provincia de Buenos Aires. Virtually everything was locally made, (similar to the Morris Oxford series 3, built in India by Hindustani Industries.) A few CKD Export cars had been used to check out assembly procedures,

Regards B)

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36787
I am not disagreeing with the fact that both Argentina and India had a high level of local content, but I don't believe the cars were sold as MG models. I am looking for factories that made MGs and sold them as MGs in the same way the Zetland factory did.

However, if I have misinterpretted the Argentinian Di Tella then I apologise but my understanding is that it wasn't sold as an MG?
by MartinW

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36791
My apologies :oops: - I had not read that into the question. Will continue to watch "Lewis" :(

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36794
Fight, Fight... :P :bust:

David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.623 seconds