MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39708
:slapme: I had a Renault Dauphine :woohoo: I bought it from one of Bruce Mc Laren's test drivers who lived two houses from me in Surbiton, and yes it was the real Bruce McLaren who also lived in Surbiton and was racing COOPER's also made in Surbiton.

The Dauphine was a super little car until some pillock wrote it off, he was on the wrong side of the road coming around a corner, in a Morris Minor, took the side off the Dauphine, straightened me up and i hit a tree. No injuries, but a very sad Renault. Got a good settlement after my uncle (an eminent London solicitor) took up the case :yesnod:
The topic has been locked.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39709

MartinW wrote: Not electric :nonod: You were very close with MG6. Try a search one up on that.

MG7 due in the UK in 2014 will use the General Motors Epsilon 2 platform also used in the Vauxhall Insignia :bust:

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39710

bryan young wrote:

MartinW wrote: Not electric :nonod: You were very close with MG6. Try a search one up on that.

MG7 due in the UK in 2014 will use the General Motors Epsilon 2 platform also used in the Vauxhall Insignia :bust:

Is that the Epsilon - Epsilon is in the process of moving from the GMT to the EMFT project of Eclipse modelling. In the context of this process, Epsilon's website, SVN repository, bug reports and update sites have all been moved elsewhere in the Eclipse infrastructure and as a result some things may not work until we've tidied up everything again. :slapme: :bang: :rant: :nonod:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39712
To be serious (for a moment) Martin - floorpan of MG5 &Astra are shared - Obviously not at the same time :bust:
MG5这款车基于AP12平台的两厢紧凑型轿车最早是作为荣威350两厢版开发的。并据了解,这款车的量产版也开始了国内路试,预计不久就会正式亮相Astra。

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful.

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39716
I was looking for MG7 or any Epsilon floor pan sharing but the 6 is unique, and not a shared floorpan. I understood the MG5 was a variant of the MG6 floorpan, or rather the Roewe 550 floorpan (MG6) and the MG5 is a variant of the Roewe 350.
by MartinW

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39722
Sorry, were you waiting on me, isn't it Bryan's turn next to set a question as he ot the MG7?
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by MartinW
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by MartinW.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39723

MartinW wrote: Sorry, were you waiting on me, isn't it Bryan's turn next to set a question as he ot the MG7?

I think Bryan is enjoying a Pizza - so we will just have to wait for his digestive juices to get to work. Paul has gone AWOL and David is keeping quiet. Talking of quiet - where are Rog, Gadget, TSLeight etal? :-?

Oh well, I'll come back tomorrow after golf to see what's up or down. See you Martin :coat:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39729
As it seems to somehow be my turn again , i will add a quick easy one.

1. Exactly describe this model of MG.

2. How much approximately is it worth? ( a clue. it was sold in a London auction in 2010)

Easy peasey :coat:

Good luck to all.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39730
Here is the weekly update.

The MG Quiz has taken us on an extraordinary journey this week, ranging from some of the earliest MG's to those yet to be released. The common factor being the quality of questions asked, which has again been very high with very thorough answers.

As we can see the leader board is hotting up with Mr Forgetful and Tsleight in joint 2nd[/sup and we then have three people tied in fourth.
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Replied by andy1970h on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39741

bryan young wrote: As it seems to somehow be my turn again , i will add a quick easy one.

1. Exactly describe this model of MG.

2. How much approximately is it worth? ( a clue. it was sold in a London auction in 2010)

Easy peasey :coat:

Good luck to all.

Is it the MG Magnette NB Airline Coupe sold for 166000 euros?

Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by andy1970h
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by andy1970h.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39752
Andy1970h- Sounds good to me. :woohoo:

1936 MG NB Magnette Airline Coupé
56 hp, 1,271 cc, single overhead camshaft inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual gearbox, Bowden cable operated single cross shaft mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 96". The only known Six-Cylinder NB Airline Coupé in the world.

From the Estate of John M. O’Quinn

One of just four NB Airline Coupés known to exist

Formerly part of the Gene Ponder Collection

The most numerous and best known of the Airline coupes were those built on MG platforms. An estimated 51 were built as PA-, PB-, NA-, NB- and TA-type cars. While undoubtedly attractive, they were also hot and somewhat claustrophobic, and when the Tickford three-position drop head coupe body was introduced, the Airline was dropped.

The MG Airline bodies were made of a mixture of steel and aluminum, which varied from car to car. The small cabin was made more habitable by the cathedral-windowed sunroof, which let some light in. A nod to upmarket luxury was the walnut dashboard and nicely shaped "pneumatic" leather seats. With a four-spoke Bluemels Brooklands steering wheel fitted, the Bentley manqué look is complete. A Wolseley-designed 4-speed crash box puts the power from the 6-cylinder engine to the rear wheels, and the streamlined body -- said to have been styled with input from wind tunnel research -- allows the maximum speed of over 80 mph, a good figure for the period with the available power.

One might hesitate to use that top speed, as the 12-inch cable brakes might not be up to the challenge of stopping the car in a decent distance. The majority of these Airline coupes were the smaller 4-cylinder model, so the 6-cylinder car is naturally much rarer (although not the "only known... in existence") and certainly commands a terrific premium.

The car sold for £145,600 in 2010. For the full story see this article

The car was previously auctioned in 2007 where it fetched almost twice the estimate at the time, selling for US$398,750.

Andy it's over to you or if you don't have a question ready Mr Forgetful is due to set his question.

MG Quiz Request

I know we all want to make sure we don't get pipped at the post, but you can add your answer then edit the post to put a bit of meat on the bones :broon:
Thank You
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful

Replied by andy1970h on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39757
I'm happy to stand aside for Mr Forgetful, I'm going to be out most of the day with the family so unfortunately not in the TF.

Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

Time to create page: 0.679 seconds