MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39773
Congratulations Andy :woohoo: Spot on and thank you to Paul for giving such a detailed description of this unique MG. Sussex Classics had a PB Airline for sale in 2010 for £240,000, but i dont know if they ever got that amount.
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39850
Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you a "two parter". :P Get the first part and the second part might seem easier. :P

If it get's a bit boring then the winner of the first answer to EITHER part post the next - fair :yesnod:

NAME THESE CARS

THEN - GIVEN THIS INFORMATION - SOLVE THIS PUZZLE :evil: :evil: :evil:

HAVE FUN :evil: :whistle: :bust:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39852
:slapme: :slapme: :slapme: :coat:

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39854
:( :slapme: :( :bust: :ohmy: :-? :dry: :sick: :oops: :whistle: :pinch: :omg: :nonod: :broon: :rant: :slapme: :bang: :bang: :slapme: :bust: :omg: :nonod: :broon: :sick: :sick: :-? :dry: :lol: :ohmy: ;) :bust: :bust: :bust: :(
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39858
Well here we go. I can identify the cars and some of the second table;

by PQD44
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39863
And Bryan called it an Evil Question?? Excellent Paul - the full answer I had prepared was

Cars as Nominated by you :broon: :broon: :broon:

The rest was The first - MG’s first outright race success came rather unexpectedly in 1927 from a privately-entered 14/40 which won a 100 km race at San Martin in Argentina.
(The 14/40 came from the 14/28 which itself was the 1st production MG and I originally had P + 12 = extra HP ??) 14/40 for the model 1st race win (at 100Kilometers) 27 for 1927 and Eva (Peron) - Argentina (flag as well)

In 1928, the overhead cam M-type Midget really started to write the MG sporting legend. M-types took the team prize in the 1930 Brooklands Double-Twelve Race, The race result was an unqualified success for the little M type, finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th in their class behind two Riley Nines, and 14th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th overall, as well as carrying off the overall Team Prize

M (M type) plus C overhead cam,2 Riley 9’s came before (over) the MG’s who where 34567th but 1st Team prize in 1930 in Double 12 (Brooklands) which resulted in the MG factory, keen to capitalise on the M types Brooklands success, incorporated the new valve timing into the production cars and marketed a ‘Double Twelve M Type’ which was a replica of the successful Brooklands cars.

1931 The 750cc EX120 set a world record of over 100mph, at Montlhery - driven by George Eyston - SO X+ 120 (EX120) first 750cc car (with supercharger hence 750+) to exceed 100mph

Among the many attractions and special tributes taking place at this year’s Revival 2011 Goodwood will pay homage to Lord March’s grandfather – Freddie March, the Ninth Duke of Richmond – on the 80th anniversary of his historic win for the Works MG racing team in the famous Brooklands Double Twelve race of 1931.

A total of 14 C-types were entered in the Double Twelve in May 1931, with the MGs securing the coveted team trophy, as well as the top five places, with Freddie March Ninth Duke of Richmond taking the chequered flag.
http://www.austinharris.co.uk/article/british-double-twelve-may-1931-brooklands

So M type + 27 (extra bhp from original) = C type - 14 entrants (taken from entrants list - some say only 13) winning the team prize 1/1 in 1931 Brooklands Double 12 - the Duke being 9th Duke of Richmond

It seemed to be logical to me but I had spent quite a bit of time on it. :-? :-? (Why I hear you ask) I thought some of our readers might be bored (and certainly are now) :nonod: :yesnod:

Over to you Paulk - thank you :coat:

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39875
Thanks for that question Ted. I did think some of the cc and HP values appeared in the 2nd column but was worried after all my working out someone would pip me to the post, so put up my answer to embellish later.

You do travel far and wide in your research for MG Quiz questions. Thank you for all your effort.

The new question begins here;

I'm looking for two bits of information per photograph. Name the Body kit / Kit car and the car it is based on

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

First person to get 9 / 12 correct will rack up the win.

Good Luck
by PQD44

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39879
1) The Cal-Ace MGB based kit made in California but generally fitted with a V6 or V8. Hawk cars did a far prettier and more authentic looking AC based on the MGB.
2) Canadian based Brooklands Kit based on MGB and often seen as a V8, and an earlier version had pop-up headlights. There's even a picture I have seen of one with Porsche Boxster/911 (?) headlights.
3) As in 2, but based on an MGB GT (see more on my website here
4)A Devin bodied special based on an MGA frame but this example using a big Chevy engine with triple carbs. Devin bodies had doors but are similar to the Byers style.
5)Ferrari Testarossa kit based on an MGA again.
6)NG TF. Originally started as the Nick Green designed TA using a Marina platform but now primarily uses MGB components for the drivetrain and suspension, as well as the steering and electricals etc) The TC is also available as a two seater with cycle wings, but most TCs get built as a V8.
by MartinW

Replied by Gadget2466 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39880
Great Question Paul, and interesting website Martin, just a quick personal observation, that these after market designs very rarely improve on the MGA or MGB Original design (That MGBGT kit is terrible), what superb and timeless designs the originals are,

Just in my humble opinion that I am sure will not be shared by everyone, but thats OK 'cos they're all wrong :P :lol:

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Turned to the Darkside, K&N Apollo and extra bling fitted.52mm TB

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by Gadget2466
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Unneeded quote removed
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW, PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39885
..... and MartinW scores 13 out 12 with a wonderfully comprehensive answer.

Well Done Martin.

Gary I have to agree with you that 99% of the time adding body kits to any car very rarely improves the looks, especially on MG's.

Having said that of the ones I listed I have admit I quite like the idea of the NG TF and the gorgeous lines of the Devin.

Martin what target have you set yourself this week? Your performance has been an impressive 2 or 3 per week over the last five weeks.

Looking forward to your question
by PQD44
The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39887
I have always had an interest in MG based kit cars but some of those above needed some research given they were USA based! :broon: Good question and I learnt some new things in the research! I agree, some of the styling efforts are poorly executed, but thanks to the SVA/IVA introduction, many of the UK replicas are very good, and the ones I enjoy are the RV8 styled MGB GT from John Hills, the NG TC/TF, and the Hawk AC replica. There was also an excellent Ferrari replica based on an MGB in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. But with the re-introduction of the Heritage bodyshells the market for MGB based kits fell out of fashion.

Well, this question I prepared earlier and unlike my usual ambiguous answers, I thought I wuld try to eliminate that risk and actually put some effort into the question for a change.

Please identify each of the cars in the image.
It may look easy on the surface, but (despite a few custom touches in one or two of them, you should be able to identify the MG Model and be specific about the Mk or the edition using the clues in each picture.

by MartinW
Attachments:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39941
OK - just got in from Golf and NOBODY has tried this? Paul - you and Bryan must be playing - probably possum :unsure:

Martin - I'll kick the ball into the wrong net but

1) MGB
2) MG1300
3) MGZT 260
4) MGTF LE500

Off to dinnner :coat:

Time to create page: 0.671 seconds