MG Quiz

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40068
:slapme: This took some research and I only hope to goodness I'm even on the right track.

Part one, the cars, the first of which was known by a few names as it developed and changed

1) Originally a Cooper MG T14, then Leonard-MG it eventually became known as the Tojeiro MG The Leonard Special - LOY 501 One of the most famous, if not "THE" most famous MG's ever raced. Declared "of significant historical importance" by the Department of Transport. EX Lionel Leonard, Eric Brandon, David Blakely, Sir Sterling Moss, and Les Leston.

2) Cooper MG T21 fitted with an 1500 XPAG engine . Lionel Leonard ordered this car for 1952 and registered it KOY 500. It was to replace his first Cooper MG, JOY500, that he had sold to Cliff Davis, and was bodied with a lighter simpler body than the previous Barchetta-bodied car.

For 1953 Leonard sold KOY500 to Horace Gould. At this time it was one of the fastest 1,5 litre sports cars in the UK. It was also widely travelled, racing in Jersey and Northern Ireland as well as all regions of Great Britain. Gould continued to develop the car, including fitting it with a Cooper Bristol suspension.

For 1954, Gould bought a Cooper Bristol F2 car and sold KOY500 to Brian Naylor, who raced it, while Ian Davidson hill-climbed it successfully.

3) Lester - MG registration number JUR 630. Harry Lester swore blind he never got paid for the work after Lionel Leonard claimed the restricted front end caused the engine to overheat and fail when he drove it home after having the work done.

4) Your (rog1963) MG TF

Besides the location, the first three share a link to Lionel Leonard. Lionel Leonard was an MG tuner of some renown. There is also a Cooper link and an XPAG engine link.

On to Part Two of your question - the now former race track.

Going on your location and disused race tracks the answer eventually came back as the Davidstow Circuit. From August Bank Holiday 1952 to Whit Monday 1955, the Davidstow Circuit in North Cornwall provided the thrills of motor racing for the first time ever in the West Country. The circuit was built on the site of a World War II bomber base, RAF Davidstow Moor which opened in 1942. Davidstow held three Formula 1 races between 1954-1955.

The Lotus won their first ‘Formula 1’ race there. ... be careful refers to the Cornwall MRC Formula 1 races. These were three non-Championship motor races run to Formula One rules.

The second of these races, on 2 August 1954, marked the first Formula One victory for a Lotus and was driven by John Coombs.

I take it you (rog1963) have a copy of ...

As I don't :nonod: I will not be able to earn the extra kudos for giving the two main reasons why racing proved unsuccessful and didn't continue. I think on this point, rog1963, you will need to educate me.
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.
The topic has been locked.

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40079
Very good research Paul. Indeed I do have a copy of the book and I had tea at Peter Tutthills on Friday, his wife Hazel makes the best pasties in Cornwall!.
A bit about Davidstow. It was originally used as a WWII base, when the plan for this was announced the locals poopahed the idea as weather there can change from sunshine to thick mist in a matter of minutes. At the time, it was the highest operational airfield in the UK and the local flying club still say it is.
Back then there wasn't a race track of note south west of Bristol and The Cornwall Motor Racing Club, an amalgamation of Plymouth Motor Club and Cornwall Vintage Car CLub, decided one was needed, and Davidstow seemed to fit the bill.
Prize money wasn't bad for the time, but the location was a bit of a pain to get to from other parts of the UK; the A30 used to pass through every town and village at the time and travelling to Cornwall was a time consuming event. Coupled with the inclement weather, which affected many of the events, racing was eventually cancelled.
Re - Lotus first Formula one victory. The event itself was a mixed event with F1 and F2. The Lotus in question was a Lotus Mk 8 powered by a Connaught engine (also the first customer car).
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by rog1963
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by rog1963.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Tsleight
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40105

rog1963 wrote: Very good research Paul. Indeed I do have a copy of the book and I had tea at Peter Tutthills on Friday, his wife Hazel makes the best pasties in Cornwall!......

... yes, yes that's all well and good but 1) does he drive an MG and 2) did he give you a signed copy of the book as a prize to give to the person who correctly answered your question? :whistle:

rog1963, thanks for a good question.

OK now just how well do you know your MGF's ? The MG TF will be very very similar but not the same.

My question is a simple one but you may need to use your imagination or research a bit, maybe.

The scenario: You walk around the outside of a standard, MGF MY2000 1.8 MPi. You do not open the boot, hence you do not look under the bonnet either. You do not look under the car, you just stroll, admiring the the car. You then unlock the doors and sit in the drivers seat. The car is in original condition with no extras or modifications.

Why did I need to think about that? My question, that's why. Simply list all the MG octagon Logo symbols you could see and give the grand total.

For the picky and just to clarify, the car is in a secluded car park, there are no other MG's in sight, just the one MGF. For the sake of this question we will assume the vehicle registration plates does not have an MG logo. You do not open the glove box and so do not name all the MG logo's in the handbook or the copy of MG Enthusiast / Safety First magazine. :P

Have fun :evil:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963, Tsleight

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40106
Would just like to say well done to Rog and Paul for an interesting question and good answer! :broon:

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963, PQD44

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40107
I'll have a stab as Ive got a few minutes spare before I shut down wrks computer
Wheels Centres 4
Bonnet 1
Boot 1
Sill Protectors 2
Windscreen 1
Side Windows 2
Steering Wheel 1
Dash 1
Mats 2
Keys (original so I have both) 1 each side = 4

Total 19

Ill check in later to see what Ive missed
by rog1963
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Tsleight

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40109
Like the new quesion too! Shame my F is 120 miles away til Thursday...

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40110
Very astute and good first attempt, I'm impressed, I can see you had a quick walk around the car.

rog1963 wrote: I'll have a stab as Ive got a few minutes spare before I shut down wrks computer
Wheels Centres 4
Bonnet 1
Boot 1
Sill Protectors 2
Windscreen 1
Side Windows 2
Steering Wheel 1
Dash 1
Mats 2
Keys (original so I have both) 1 each side = 4

Total 19

Ill check in later to see what Ive missed

Now I'm not sure if MG logo mats came as standard or were purchased separately, I'll await clarification on that one.

I reckon excluding the mats you have missed a few [strike]and have added at least one which shouldn't be there :( :unsure: :-? :dry:[/strike]

Edit: my mistake I misinterpreted something you said, you did not add any you just missed a few :oops:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40121

PQD44 wrote: Very astute and good first attempt, I'm impressed, I can see you had a quick walk around the car.

Unfortunately, I didn't sit in it until on the way home. Then I saw another one smiling at me :lol:

Not sure which ones Ive added that shouldn't be so Ill wait for the next lad/lass to have a go.
by rog1963
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40127
:oops: see my edited post above, apologies rog you were correct just missed a few, sorry for any confusion. I'm good at confusing myself :coat:
by PQD44

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40137
Right - I have a small addition to make having just got home

1 on the Rev counter
1 on the door fram indicating model etc

I assume the one on the windscreen is the MG Mobil sticker for the oil (mine is original but not an F :broon:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40138
Ouch :pinch:

:lol: Someone had to say it. Controversially, the instrument dials lost their 'MG' logos, and the cream faces changed for silver items with a new italic type face.

The one on the windscreen............. is just that, it's on the windscreen just above the Pilkington logo

... and to complete your 'Nil Poi' the MGF MY2000 doesn't have a sticker on the door frame :whistle:

This question is still up for grabs

PQD44 wrote: The scenario: You walk around the outside of a standard, MGF MY2000 1.8 MPi. You do not open the boot, hence you do not look under the bonnet either. You do not look under the car, you just stroll, admiring the the car. You then unlock the doors and sit in the drivers seat. The car is in original condition with no extras or modifications.

Why did I need to think about that? My question, that's why. Simply list all the MG octagon Logo symbols you could see and give the grand total.

For the picky and just to clarify, the car is in a secluded car park, there are no other MG's in sight, just the one MGF. For the sake of this question we will assume the vehicle registration plates does not have an MG logo. You do not open the glove box and so do not name all the MG logo's in the handbook or the copy of MG Enthusiast / Safety First magazine. :P

Have fun :evil:

Attachments:

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40140
So the one on the TF rev counter came back - so to speak? And the mobil Oil MG paper stuck on sticker was NOT on the F - just to oil muddy waters? :rant:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Time to create page: 0.650 seconds