MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39611
AaaaaaaaaaaaH!!!!!!!!! But Bryan can find a photograph of that black TF the police used and i know the person it belongs to, just got to find it. :coat:
The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39612
Mr Forgetful :omg: That's pure genius - Well done Mr Forgetful.

Your answer is an order of magnitude better than the answer I had ready to post. :yesnod:

The relay race continues, back you Ted

??? The TF made in to a police car by MG Beijing was not black, it was white.

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39613

PQD44 wrote: Mr Forgetful :omg: That's pure genius - Well done Mr Forgetful.

Your answer is an order of magnitude better than the answer I had ready to post. :yesnod:

The relay race continues, back you Ted

Four letter word beginning with S

I have no ready quiz question available - I am in the middle of research - BRYAN - where are you - never mind the picture of the black poilice car - that's racist and inflamatory and in any case if it's the chinese TF it's white

I believe the person's name was Foo Young :woohoo:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39614
No, no, it was the 1947 one i was trying to find :bang: :slapme: :bang:

It is, or was owned by Julian White a british motoring journalist.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39619
But, but, :( but we already had an original one in the picture selection. :-? That was not just any old one you known, that was an original one from "ploice flies - so sorry, Polish Flies - No, no no - Police Files. :yesnod:

Could you please concentrate your ginourmouse interlect - hmm intellect on setting a question whilst I try to construct an algebraic question to fit an MG answer - I am having problems with this :rant:

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39620
Just while Mr Forgetful plots a devilishly difficult question and at his request, here is a question for you to ponder in the meanwhile;

What's the Car and the alleged MG link story?

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39621

PQD44 wrote: Just while Mr Forgetful plots a devilishly difficult question and at his request, here is a question for you to ponder in the meanwhile;

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :nonod: :bust: :rant: :slapme: :bang: :coat:
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by bryan young
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44. Reason: reminder of current question

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39622
The influence for the 1964 Pinninfarina MG (EX234) MG Spider. :coat:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39624
Good answer Bryan .........................however :nonod: incorrect, better luck next time.

I ask again;

by PQD44

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39625
I believe that is the Renault Caravelle and that Renault took umbrage at Don Hayter and the design team for their plagiary of the headlight design as used on the MGB released a year or so after the Renault. MG denied this but it was true that the MG design team had seen the Renault at a motorshow some time earlier and had been inspired by the headlamp design.
by MartinW

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39638

MartinW wrote: I believe that is the Renault Caravelle and that Renault took umbrage at Don Hayter and the design team for their plagiary of the headlight design as used on the MGB released a year or so after the Renault. MG denied this but it was true that the MG design team had seen the Renault at a motorshow some time earlier and had been inspired by the headlamp design.

What he says (sorry - what Martin said) except it is a Renault Floride - Pietro Frua designed the Renault Floride as he was working for Ghia the design studio responsible for it. (Ghia had bought out his manufacturing company).
Frua, who began his career at Fiat as a junior designer, became Fiat's general manager within ten years. After the Second World War, he opened his own design studio where he executed a series of one-off designs. In 1952, Frua entered into a contract to work exclusively for Ghia. That relationship lasted until about 1962 when it ended acrimoniously over a lawsuit related to the Caravelle design (which was a variation of the Caravelle design)

R-1092 (Floride/Caravalle) was designed by Ghia and after a very complicated development, the prototype was built by Frua according to Ghia's design

Pietro Frua was understandably upset. He had devoted a considerable amount of time building the two prototypes and now no one would talk to him or pay him for his work. He decided to try and sell the design to another automobile manufacturer by showing the design at the Geneva Automobile Show, in which the manufacturers presented their new concept car as well as their latest offerings. Frua called the car the Dauphine GT.

Prior to the opening of the show to the general public, Pierre Dryfus (MD Renault) walked by the Frua display and saw the prototype Renault convertible under a tarp. When challenged by Dryfus, Frua responded that since he had not heard from either Renault or Ghia, he was going to present the convertible as a Frua design. Luigi Segre, (Ghia) who was also present at the show, was immediately put under tremendous pressure by Dryfus to fix the problem.

Apparently he did so. In October, following the Geneva show the prototypes were shown for the first time at the Paris automotive event, but on the Renault stand. At that point they carried the Floride name and were offered for sale by Renault. Over 8,000 orders were taken for the sports car from the European side before production began in 1959.

During the 1960s Pietro Frua was among the most prominent car designers in Italy. In 1963, at the age of 50 and at the peak of his career, Frua designed for Glas, Germany’s smallest car-maker, the GT Coupé and Cabriolet. These were built until 1968 as the BMW GT, after BMW had bought Glas. A MG LINK?? although earlier. :nonod:

So - that's the history - the MG link I HAVE NO IDEA :coat:

The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW, PQD44

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39640
Doh! Floride, not Caravelle. Thanks Mr. Forgetful for supplying far more of the Renault link. :broon:
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by MartinW
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by MartinW.
Time to create page: 0.650 seconds