MG Quiz

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45052
Sorry! Can't post pictures from my iphone!

This is a question about the MG TF - the original version. It has always been slated for its performance. Although not recommended by purists, either the engine or gearbox can be replaced. What car is said to offer the easiest fit for a replacement engine? And what 2 makes of 5 speed gearbox can be used relatively easily with the original engines?

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
The topic has been locked.

Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45084
well it all depends on what you want and what you call easy ??

I have a ford powered MGA that has to low of a ratio rear end
GP Purdy, Florida, USA, [email protected]
I have a ford powered MGA that has to low of a ratio rear end. What is the highest one that will fit and where can I find it

Posted 25 November 2011 at 14:26:45 UK time
Bill Spohn, British Columbia, Canada, [email protected]
I take it you mean low numerical ratio.

Just fit a 5 speed and that should fix your issue. Otherwise you'll be converting to a late MGB axle and trying to find an MGC crown and pinion.

Posted 25 November 2011 at 20:51:34 UK time
R Walker, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Crownwheel and pinion on ebay. cheaper than gearbox/bellhousing/clutch and propshaft. There is also a V8 axle. Alternatively and nearer to home, have a look in the archives for the conversion of a Ford axle.

Posted 22 December 2011 at 20:20:05 UK time
B Young, Missouri, USA
The highest ratio that will bolt in is the 3.9:1 from the early MGB. These are becomming hard to find though. Barney Gaylord has full coverage on this conversion on his web site. Your other options if you are running disc wheels is to install a narrowed Ford or other axle and have a new driveshaft made. I mention Ford, because they had in their early Mustangs and Mavericks a good 8" rear that already matched the MGB/MGA wheel bolt pattern. Again those are getting hard to find, but still out there if you look. If you're running wire wheels then your options are less. You can install the later MGB tube type rear axle and then install the MGB V8 or MGC gears, either 3.3 or 3.08 as I remember. On the MGA that I am building I am looking at a third option, that is to use the MGB tube type axle with a GM 10 bolt center section spliced in the middle and custom axles. That would allow the retention of the original wire wheels but open up the gear ratio selection to all the GM 10 bolt options and allow use of their common limited slip diffs.

Posted 27 January 2012 at 00:50:21 UK time
J.M. Doust, Queensland, Australia
So can anybody answer this then; If I have a T5 gearbox, and a V6 GM L32 engine, is the standard rear axle ratio acceptable? What about strength? Yes, it may be that is does not fit in to the 'Power band" of the engine but that I could figure later. Are the internals of the axle easy to change, or does one have to change the whole axle? Mike

Posted 27 January 2012 at 18:31:24 UK time
R Walker, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Mike,
My own work on axles is restricted to halfshafts but I do know that mine (factory 3.07) was rebuilt five times before the Cornish got it right. If you know what you are doing, if the replacement gear is good quality (suitably nitrided etc.), it is perfectly feasible to change the ratio on the tube axle and still handle 200BHP with a 0.9 ton trailor.
HTH Roger

Jeep engine briefly for the B, but I'm hoping I maybe able to do a deal with a dealer who has something a little better ...! Now I've decided that the BGT is staying standard(ish!) I get to play more with the other one!

So glad this has started as a new section as ideas are great ...

Posted 09 May 2011 at 12:52:40 UK time
R J Brown, Colorado, USA
One of my MGAs is a 58 roadster with a RX7 engine and 5 speed and MGB front suspension and brakes. It has been driving since 1989. Been kind of neglected of late as I finished my 1962 MK11 and now working on the 58 coupe. I have been considering another swap for it but can't decide between a V8 and a modern 4. So I will just leave it as is till later.

Posted 13 May 2011 at 08:37:46 UK time
Gary Lock, Queensland, Australia, [email protected]
I didn't know that this section existed..only saw a comment on the MGB site. Fantastic that I can now officially have a forum for my MGA Honda S2000! After I got shunned by the absolute purists here in Australia (wasn't allowed to enter anything at the National Meeting), I was wondering what to do! BTW, the unelected but old and ancient MG purists have rejected my idea of having a "variant" class at future National Meetings..nothing but MG everything allowed. I know for a fact that there are over 20 MG's of different types in Australia running with "foreign" engines, so there is a call for us to be invited. BTW, I do have other "correct" MG's.

Posted 13 May 2011 at 16:32:15 UK time
Bill Spohn, British Columbia, Canada, [email protected]
RJ, leave the coupe alone and use an MGB engine (3 main, by choice) like I did on my Mk 2 Deluxe coupe, so you'll have one modded and one slightly off stock. The coupe makes a great long distance tourer even with MGB power.

Maybe I can talk someone here into doing a swap I like - the GM 2 litre LNF Ecotec. Sky is the limit on power.

My engine in my MGA attached - the top plenum done the way I did it has fooled a few people into thinking it was an MG engine they didn't know about, although that wasn't my intention, I just wanted it to look better than a stock 3.4 with 'SFI' etc. does.

most options co for the borge and warner gearboxes or the ford cortina box

MGSteve Tuesday 30th August 2011

The engine used in the 1.6 TF is 115bhp. The 160bhp engine is a 1.8VVC (variable valve control) and used in the TF160.
I dont know if you are aware, but the TF is mid engined and rear wheel drive. If you were to drop the engine and gearbox as is into the engine bay of an MGB, you would effectivly convert it to FWD.
I you want to retain the B's RWD then you will need to look at other gearbox options.

Frontline Developments offer K-series conversions and kits for the MG Midget and MGB. A look at thier website should give you an idea of what parts would need to be purchased or fabricated. Certainly doesn't look easy or cheap.

http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/products/mgb/...

One thing I cant spot on thier site is how the K-series engine management system is hooked up to the MGB loom. I would have hoped they would offer some form of conversion loom, but I cant spot one.

and here is a full list of parts needed for a mgtf midges conversion :broon:

t gbxcr

5-speed standard gearbox

£759

t gb6xcr B

5-speed close ratio gearbox

£1115

t gb7xcr B

5-speed ultimate close ratio gearbox, heavy duty

£1440

http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/products/mgb/categorykseries.shtml

do you need any more info :rofl:

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by MGF MARK
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by MGF MARK.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45093
Mark, you've really confused me there! The question says "the original TF" from the 50's, not the MGA...

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45097
the list i put up for mgb mga mf tf orig all will accept any engine and gearbox depending on what work you want to do

jag rear axle on a morris marina yep can be done just shorten the axle ect
so pinto k series v6 engines ect custom made propshaft any thing is possible all depends how good at mechanics you are :broon:
if you looka round chevy back axles have been used in the states as they are easy to chop down and give a better final drive ratio :broon:

or have i blided you with mechanics lol

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45100
But you should find the TF has a generally accepted "simple" engine or gearbox upgrade that doesn't involve major car surgery!

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45103
lol what do you call simple any engine and gear box change is simple

but i get the idea numpty time lol

does not include major surgery so thats an ecu out of the question no wireing change just a straight bolt swap

kit car info The RMB Gentry is one of the kit car industry’s best-known MG related models. Based around the looks of the 1950s TF, the Gentry first appeared in 1971 when Triumph Spitfire production line worker Roger Blockley wanted an MG TF, but realised the original was showing its age with its XPAG 1250cc OHV or later 1500 engine. Roger could clearly see the opportunity to produce something similar using more modern Triumph components and 20 months later he had produced his own version of the TF based on a Triumph Vitesse chassis with a 1600cc straight six engine and a pair of original MG TF wing

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45105
lol 54 TF with 57 MGA engine & driveline.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45123
i know this is not the answer but i thought some of you might like to have a read quite an intresting restoration

http://mgtf54.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/welcome-to-web-site-of-john-brickell.html

bryan eat your heart out :broon:

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45166
:yesnod: What a brilliant read. Thanks Mark that was a good find.

Now who is going to answer Tsleight's question :lol:
by PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45213
Not sure on this one. I have seen a lot of different swaps made.

The TF began life with a 1250cc XPEG engine which was, in 1954 changed for the XPAG engine 1466cc. Even this was not sufficient to greatly improve the performance.

A common swap is to use the 1800 B series engine/gearbox from an MGB, however I have also seen Volvo engines used and the engine/gearbox from the Datsun 210.

I think you need to give us a bump start on this one Tsleight, a clue or two please
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45216
Volvo is a good start! There is a specific car model... Datsun is one of the gearbox swaps, as is Ford. So just find the riight Volvo please...

So the remaining question is:
What Volvo car provides a "simple" engine replacement for the original MG TF? You will have seen the car on TV... (or at least know what show it was in)

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Tsleight
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Tsleight.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45285
The Volvo engine is the B18, 1.8 L (1778 cc) OHV engine and was used in the Volvo PV544, P210, 120, P1800 and 140 series.

The Ford Sierra 5 speed gearbox was used in conjunction with the MG B-Series engine.

I haven't been unable to find a reference which talks about any of these or the other options mentioned being used widely. Tsleight could you post a link to the source.

Thanks for sending us down many varied avenues, I think I'm all TF'ed out now. :bust:
by PQD44
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.667 seconds