MG Quiz

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45457
:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Paul. I don't know how you do it. I thought this one might just drag out a few days.
I'm afraid I can't take credit for finding this one though. Every now and again I go around to a chap called Peter Tutthill to help him with his computer.
He's in his 70's and has spent his lifetime collecting car books/magazines/brochures etc (And as I have a TF he even gave me a mint copy of a TF brochure that he had a duplicate of). He also writes. As already mentioned in the quiz, he wrote about the motor racing at Davidstow; he's also written about Kieft, the Cornish Car Industry and Rowe Hillmasters. He has shelves of books which is estimated to amount to around 10000 on all things cars and he has an encyclopedic brain on them too. Anyway, since I bought the MG and have shown an interest in the history, he has let me borrow several books and also gives me some info on them whenever I visit. It was on the last visit that he produced an actual brochure on the Erad Midget. Even with that information, I still found it very hard to find much on the internet on them and what there is needs translating from French.
So I take my hat off to you on what you've found, and I must admit that I didn't actually know the date of the first MG pictured, I just stumbled on it on an Erad site and assumed it was there as that was what it was copied from.
So very well done Paul and over to you.
[IMG

When I see Peter next I'll try and get a decent scan of the brochure and add it to this post.
by rog1963
The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45461

rog1963 wrote: ... I thought this one might just drag out a few days.

Now that would never do :lol: Your clues; small French midget, not an MG but a copy ..... Le voilà !

Keep up the good work rog1963, that was a real challenge, like you say there is very little out there on the Erad Midget.

New MG Quiz Question

What links

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by MGF MARK on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45532
mg vr 8 ??

mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45533
The link is Peter Stevens who had a major hand in the design of all the cars, plus the design of a car for the remake of Captain Scarlett in 2004/5.

http://www.peterstevens.co.uk/film.htm

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Tsleight
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Tsleight.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45539
En français s'il vous plaît, nous sommes un service de traduction multiculturelle - or please see previous answer from the question setter!! :omg: ( Oh ME oh my... Le voilà !)

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45543
Well done Tslieght, yes Peter Stevens was the man linking all the cars and many more including the MG TF and MG SV
by PQD44

Replied by alanrt54 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45545
Loved the R75 coupe. Reminds me of working at Gaydon in the late 90s. Wondered why there were so many 800 Coupes there. Turned out they were R75 prototypes with 800 coupe bodies.
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by alanrt54
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by alanrt54. Reason: Spelling error and get rid of Tapatalk crap
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45549
Looks like the 800 Coupés were developed as a part of a plan to sell them in America.
They also produced a convertible version.

For the full story on the 800 Coupé Click on this link

For the full story on the Rover 75 Coupé click on this link
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45640
Just to keep the ball rolling whilst we await the return of Tsleight..... here is a new MG Quiz question

Can you name four major differences and the price of ...

... when they were first offered for sale in the UK.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45758
Well Paul, I'll start the "ball rolling" to coin a phrase, and leave for others

1) World Cup - FIFA World Cup Trophy - a replacement for the orginal Jules Rimet Trophy won by Brazil in 1970 and, under the terms of the original deed of grant, kept by them. (Incidentally - it (the Jules Rimet one) was subsequently stolen in 1983 and never recovered)
2) 1967 I.O.M Tourist Trophy - Perhaps the most important motorcycle racing trophy of all time, this TT trophy was awarded to Mike Hailwood for his successes at the 1967 Junior Isle of Man `Tourist Trophy' race, riding the 297cc Honda Rc174 `Six'.

So the first one is a "replacement" for the winners for an original won after the 3rd time, the second is a copy (or replica for the hoi poloi) given to a winner for a specific race.
The first is for passing a ball but not necessarilly any corners, the second for passing (a lot of) corners while keeping his eye on the ball!!
The first is not kept but passed to the next winners (unless stolen first - thank you Pickles - remember him) the second is kept by the winner.
The first is made of gold plated sterling silver, the second of silver plate.

Price - I have no idea - The former a replica was sold at an auction in 1997 for £254,500, when it was purchased by FIFA
The second - was not sold at a recent auction.

Paul - I've done my bit - over to the clever clogs who follow :coat:

PS Have we given up on MG connections - what with your Rover question and now a dog's dinner (pun intented) :whistle:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45787
:bust: That was an interesting read, 99.9% irrelevant, but an interesting read none the less.

Mr Forgetful wrote: ...

Paul - I've done my bit - over to the clever clogs who follow :coat:

PS Have we given up on MG connections - what with your Rover question and now a dog's dinner (pun intented) :whistle:

:nonod: Oh dear and it all started so well with your identification. Yes the FIFA World Cup and the IOM Tourist Trophy

So yes you have done your bit to get the ball rolling. As to your PS, this is the MG Quiz for all things MG related and looking back at my questions you'll see I like to have my questions relate to the MGF or TF as much as possible. This is a question about ....... MGF's :woohoo:

As to my previous question which did indeed have a Rover 75 Coupé as a clue... to Peter Stevens, the designer/stylist of the MG TF and the MG SV :slapme:

Hopefully in light of the above you can ignore most of Mr Forgetful's ramblings, take a quick look at the question on the previous page again and come back here to claim your winning status. :lol:

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #45811
Not the quiz answer, but a bit of useless information :slapme: Mike Hailwood was living two houses away from me in Surbiton in 1967 when he was awarded this trophy. :coat: :coat:
Time to create page: 0.676 seconds