MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: Guess where it is?

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31158

PQD44 wrote: Ready, Steady,Go .....

No, I think we can all recognise this one, the question is a two part question

1) Where is the Top Gear Track
2) What was the destination for the passengers of the the Top Gear Stretch Limo's?

1. Top gear track is at Dunsfold Aerodrome , Dunsfold, Surrey and was designed by Lotus Cars

2. The Hamster (Richard Hammond) was going to the Top Gear Test Track, with Clarkson & May to test various "stretch" cars they had made (panel work was bad)
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by bryan young
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by bryan young.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: Guess where it is?

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31159

bryan young wrote:
1. Top gear track is at Dunsfold Aerodrome , Dunsfold, Surrey and was designed by Lotus Cars

2. THIS PART TO FOLLOW SOON (caps lock on!)

2. :bust:
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31163

bryan young wrote:

PQD44 wrote: Ready, Steady,Go .....

No, I think we can all recognise this one, the question is a two part question

1) Where is the Top Gear Track
2) What was the destination for the passengers of the the Top Gear Stretch Limo's?

2. The Hamster (Richard Hammond) was going to the Top Gear Test Track, with Clarkson & May to test various "stretch" cars they had made (panel work was bad)

our presenters were sent to collect some high-profile celebs who needed a lift to the Brit Awards. Richard collected R&B star Jamelia, who was visibly alarmed by the low quality and open-air nature of her evening's ride. James took best male nominee Lemar for a tour of every one-way system in West London, and Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles was happy just to survive the journey as Jeremy's giant Panda fell in half.
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31165
:woohoo: Good enough, the Brit Awards were being held at Earls Court, London. The MGF actually won and got there first.

Over to you Bryan
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Clarification

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31171
Question:-

What is the relationship between these two MG models and where and when were they last seen together?

For bonus points , can you tell me the models?

Away you all go :rant:
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31178

bryan young wrote: Question:-

What is the relationship between these two MG models and where and when were they last seen together?

No.1 is an MG 14/28 - Super Sports and was the first car produced by the MG Car company and launched in 1924. The one pictured is in fact a 1925 model. Originally the badge on the front of the car read "Morris Oxford", MG badges did not appear until 1928. Cecil Kimber had re-bodied a few Morris cars with coachwork to his own design but in 1924 he started to advertise "our popular M.G. Saloon" built on the Morris 14/28 Bullnose radiator, Oxford chassis. In late 1926 Morris updated the Oxford dropping the distinctive Bullnose radiator in favour of a flat one.
Since the car you pictured has the bullnose radiator and is a 1925 model, to be in 'original' condition, it should not have any MG badges, which it clearly has on the spare wheel :dry:

No.2 is an MG TF 85th Anniversary model produced in 2009 of which only 50 were ever produced.

Relationship between them - 85 Years separate the two models (84 years separate the two photographed) and they were the oldest and youngest MG's (first and latest) at the Royal Windsor MG Heritage Festival, 25 April 2009, which I'm sure you attended Bryan, with the Epsom MG club, so another possible link could be that you took the two photos :unsure: I was unable to find a photo of the two side by side which would have been nice. They need Damien to arrange the cars for some good pictures ;)

When last seen together. They were brought together at the Royal Windsor MG Heritage Festival, 25 April 2009, this is too obvious, so I'll have a stab that they were also seen at another event together in 2010?

Here is another MG 14/28 Super Sports, which were all produced with aluminium panelled bodies and painted in two colours

Sorry for giving the short answer I will try and get extra details next time. :P

Another good challenge Bryan :woohoo: Well Done
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31180
See previous page for a good challenge set by Bryan :thumbsup:

Just while we wait for Bryan to confirm or shoot me down in flames here is another one to have a go at

Name the car, the location and tell us what is very interesting about the event. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31216

PQD44 wrote:

bryan young wrote: Question:-

No.1 is an MG 14/28 - Super Sports and was the first car produced by the MG Car company and launched in 1924. The one pictured is in fact a 1925 model. Originally the badge on the front of the car read "Morris Oxford", MG badges did not appear until 1928. Cecil Kimber had re-bodied a few Morris cars with coachwork to his own design but in 1924 he started to advertise "our popular M.G. Saloon" built on the Morris 14/28 Bullnose radiator, Oxford chassis. In late 1926 Morris updated the Oxford dropping the distinctive Bullnose radiator in favour of a flat one.
Since the car you pictured has the bullnose radiator and is a 1925 model, to be in 'original' condition, it should not have any MG badges, which it clearly has on the spare wheel :dry:

No.2 is an MG TF 85th Anniversary model produced in 2009 of which only 50 were ever produced.

Relationship between them - 85 Years separate the two models (84 years separate the two photographed) and they were the oldest and youngest MG's (first and latest) at the Royal Windsor MG Heritage Festival, 25 April 2009, which I'm sure you attended Bryan, with the Epsom MG club, so another possible link could be that you took the two photos :unsure: I was unable to find a photo of the two side by side which would have been nice. They need Damien to arrange the cars for some good pictures ;)

When last seen together. They were brought together at the Royal Windsor MG Heritage Festival, 25 April 2009, this is too obvious, so I'll have a stab that they were also seen at another event together in 2010?

Here is another MG 14/28 Super Sports, which were all produced with aluminium panelled bodies and painted in two colours

Sorry for giving the short answer I will try and get extra details next time. :P

Another good challenge Bryan :woohoo: Well Done

:woohoo: :woohoo: A VERY BIG BIG WELL DONE ~ you are absolutely correct :woohoo: :woohoo: Congratulations. I had the pleasure of starting the 220 MGs that paraded in front of HRH Prince Philip, the 2009 85th Anniversary TF left first followed by the Super Sports, then 218 other beautiful MGs, many of which are unique (the two surviving Tigress' were there too) that Super Sports is the oldest surviving MG (apart from Old Number One) Yes i took the photos but didnt manage to get one of the front row of the parade. it was hectic that day :omg: no mean feat getting 220 cars in order to parade past the Duke and then onto the Frogmore parade ground in order of age, The King George V11 car park where the cars started from was so narrow that we could only arrange them 4 wide, and the late comers (and there were a few) had to start in order from the road, and to cap it all the driver of the 85th TF arrived late and announced that he didint have enough petrol to get the quarter mile into Windsor Castle!!! i sent him on his way and he made it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31234

PQD44 wrote:

Name the car, the location and tell us what is very interesting about the event. ;)

Another clue needed?

by PQD44
Attachments:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31243
The car is a 1965 MGB Roadster.

The location is Shelsley Walsh, Worcestershire and the only thing i can think of as being special is that "It is the oldest motorsport venue in the world" and is celebrating its centenary this year :bust:
Last Edit:12 years 5 months ago by bryan young
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by Laz1957 on topic Re: Guess where it is?

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31245
Shelsley Walsh Speed Hill Climb in Worcestershire, organised by the Midland Automobile Club.

The Speed Hill Climb is the oldest motorsport event to have been staged continuously (wartime excepted) on its original course, first having been run in 1905.

The picture is of Richard Workman's 'spridget' of the Arden MG Club at the start of the run.

Haven't checked this thread for a couple of days. Referring to the 'Parking Warden' ad - I lived about 2 minutes away from Park Crescent for the first 28 years :lol:
by Laz1957

Replied by Laz1957 on topic Re: Guess where it is?

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31246
Oh bl**dy h*ll - I got beat to it whilst I was putting my reply together :lol:
by Laz1957
Time to create page: 0.620 seconds