MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: Guess where it is?

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31432

David Aiketgate wrote: I suspect that this is the 1.5 millionth MG car to be produced since production began in 1924, which was a TF160 that rolled off the production line on 16 April 2002. In celebration of H.M. Queen’s Golden Jubilee, it was fittingly painted in Monogram Supertallic paint ‘Jubilee’ Gold and finished with special Jubilee badging.

Specified around the top of the range TF 160, the celebration model was fitted with optional fog lamps and passenger air bag. The seats were uniquely fitted with Oxford leather seat bolsters and central black Alcantara cushions and seat backs, which were embroidered with the Golden Jubilee crown logo.

On the exterior, exclusive badging included official Golden Jubilee crown logos – on the four 16" alloy wheels and also incorporated into the ‘160’ ingot badge on the rear, next to the TF identity badging. Above the side-intakes were the words ‘THE 1.5 MILLIONTH MG’. The MG TF was registered MG02 OTF and is still on the road somewhere in the UK.

The chassis number is SARRDLBPC2D604127 it was the 4027th TF built.

:woohoo: :woohoo: Quite quite correct, very well done Two further snippets of information about this unique MGTF ~ I think that the car is still owned by MG Motor Ltd, it was they that brought it to the Royal Windsor MG Heritage Festival in 2009 and secondly, the production numbers were "jiggled" to make this TF160 the 1.5 millionth MG made. :thumbsup:
Last Edit:12 years 5 months ago by bryan young
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by PQD44.
The topic has been locked.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31433

David Aiketgate wrote: That is a Lester MG, and there were between 20 and 22 Lester's made at the Monkey Stable.

:omg: WELL DONE AGAIN!!!!! Dont think that anyone knows how many MG racers that Harry Lester actually made and the figure is quoted as "About 20" and i think that there are about 5 that have survived. One has been found recently and restored and was featured in MGE recently. :thumbsup:
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31434

David Aiketgate wrote: On an admin note I have changed the heading of this thread to 'MG Quiz', as the scope of challenges has extended way beyond 'Where is it?'

Thank you for doing this change, it may entice more members to post more MG related questions :yesnod: I do have another MGF related one waiting for a future turn.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31437
Where is it? It was part of an MG run.

David
:shrug:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31438

Laz1957 wrote:

That is a Lester MG, and there were between 20 and 22 Lester's made at the Monkey Stable.

Sorry I am sure that David knows his stuff but, can someone translate that for me please? :blink: :lol:

Hi Laz,

David does know his stuff about MGs and a million and one other things :coat:

The following description about the LESTER MGs and Monkey Stable Racing should make it crystal clear. I have seen 5 Lesters, two in the flesh and 3 in photos.

During the late 1940's in a war torn Europe, Harry Lester operated a small garage business in Knebworth, Hertfordshire, England. He also raced a modified MG PB Midget that was constructed prior to World War II. Like many others during this era, he saw an opportunity to build competitive racing machines. He turned his sights on the 1500cc sports car class. He began by modifying a 1250cc MG TC engine as well as adapting other MG components to his racer. The result was a small, lightweight car that was powered by a 1467cc engine and cost less than most of the other machines being fielded.
In 1950, Harry became associated with an amateur, wealthy driver named Jim Mayers. Soon, a team had been formed called the Monkey Stable consisting of three drivers. Pat Griffith and Gerry Ruddock were the other two drovers. The team had much success in British events with their cars providing many podium finishes for the drivers. At the Goodwood race the Lester machines proved their true potential by dominating the nine-hour race to finish in the top three places. Mayer was happy with the Lester cars performance and asked Harry to create three more cars for long distance competition. Harry felt he would be unable to complete the request in time, so the job was given to Kieft.

For the following season of competition, the Monkey Stable found themselves in the back of the pack for many of the races. For the next season, 1954, the Monkey Stable team fielded no cars. Mayer had sold his Kieft cars and commissioned Lester to build four cars for the 1955 season. By the time Mayer got the cars, they were already outdated in comparison to the rest of the competition. Marque's such as Lotus and Cooper were having much success with their aerodynamic, nimble, and lightweight cars. Tragedy struck later in the season at the Tourist Trophy Race in Dundrod when Mayer was killed in a multi-car crash. After this, the Monkey Stable team dissolved. Harry went back to running his garage. In 1982, at the age of 82, he passed away.

It is believed that Harry Lester constructed about 20 cars with most being powered by MG engines. Two of his last cars constructed for the Monkey Stable in 1955 had Coventry-Climax engines. It is believed that about 5 or 6 of his Specials are still in existence.
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laz1957, rog1963, PQD44
  • PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31440
David, so, let me get this straight, after renaming the thread from Guess where it is - to MG Quiz you then immediately go and post a Guess where it is challenge :omg: Timing doesn't appear to be one of our strong points at the moment gentlemen :lol:

The building pictured is the spectacular alien form of the Sage Gateshead. Which undoubtedly featured in a Border Patrol run I was unable to attend.

Look what you made me do, changing the name made me post and now I've answered the Guess where it is in the MG Quiz thread :nonod: now I have to go and find an MG Quiz question, which may be linked to a location :unsure:
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31441
Correct! :yesnod: And if you don't know by now that I have a peculiar slant on life, you haven't been paying attention. :nonod:

:bust:

David

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31444
Thanks for that one David.

OK Bryan it's your turn to frozen out of a challenge, this would not prove a challenge for your encyclopaedic knowledge of all things MG related, so come on T-Bar viewers of this thread time for you to make a move.

Name the car pictured, it's famous predecessor and the MG links, good luck :thumbsup:

BTW the location associated can be given and brownie points will be awarded for a specific location, but it's not an essential requirement as this is no longer a Guess where it is thread. :silly: :coat:
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31449
Please Sir, I know, I know But......................Frozen :rant: Brrrr. It can still be where are you now !!!! :omg:
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Unneeded quote removed
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31451
Perhaps this thread was hastily and incorrectly renamed by David, it should have been called the 'Challenge MG Bryan' thread, where to win you need to post an MG related question Bryan can't answer within, say 15 mins of him logging on :bust:
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31470
Bryan, earlier.

;) :bust:

David

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #31474
A clue to the current challenge...

PQD44 wrote:

Name the car pictured, it's famous predecessor and the MG links, good luck :thumbsup:

BTW the location associated can be given and brownie points will be awarded for a specific location, but it's not an essential requirement as this is no longer a Guess where it is thread. :silly: :coat:

... the predecessor ....

by PQD44
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds