MG Quiz

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32971
I was going to say that before,, but my internet stopped responding! I work for their successor: BAE Systems, it was only British Aerospace when they owned Rover.

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by Tsleight
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Tsleight.
The topic has been locked.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32974

Tsleight wrote: I was going to say that before,, but my internet stopped responding! I work for their successor: BAE Systems, it was only British Aerospace when they owned Rover.

Andy has yet to accept an answer, i dont know that mine is quite correct????

Who is your internet service with?? we have changed to Virgin recently to get a better speed and have been getting "freezing" ~ my Son (IT Guru) re-configured their modem and had an engineer out to test the service and it appears ok now. i was having problems with the forum about half an hour ago, kept getting bad pages, when posting, came out and went back and its ok again now. :thumbsup:

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32976
I'm with Talk Talk which to be fair isn't too bad. However the modem is getting on a bit and the aerial is damaged so maybe not the strongest WiFi signal! Also I'm using my iPhone because my wife is usually playing Sims on the laptop!

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by Tsleight
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Tsleight.

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32977

Tsleight wrote: I'm with Talk Talk which to be fair isn't too bad. However the modem is getting on a bit and the aerial is damaged so maybe not the strongest WiFi signal! Also I'm using my iPhone because my wife is usually playing Sims on the laptop!

I know of many people that have had bad problems with them and a good few that feel they are ok, yes a new modem and aerial will probably do wonders :yesnod: we have got three laptops, a mac, a pc, two i phones an ipad and a blackberry and are all wireless. But if i have any problems, i have to get Son to sort it out.

Replied by andy1970h on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32982

bryan young wrote:

andy1970h wrote: OK This should be an easy one but what's the connection between this ill-fated aircraft and MGs?

BAe Systems purchased the Rover group in 1988 when it was being disposed of by the Government. The ill fated Nimrod MR2 pictured above was developed by BAe systems and scrapped in March 2011 ~ Is that the link ????

It is a link but not the one I'm looking for. It's a geographical link.

Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32983
From the "stuff" coming out the back of the plane it also suffered from HGF :bust:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32986
The ill-fated aircraft, a Nimrod?

The ill-fated last flying Nimrod in the country was dismantled at a hangar in Gloucestershire.

The hangar in question was the Air Salvage International hangar at Kemble airfield.

Kemble airfield plays host to many MG meets and the Classic car shows where MG's take part.

Here is a beautiful 1954 MG TF pictured at Kemble this year during the Battle of Britain show.

There were a few places associated with the last Nimrod, which served with the 51st Squadron at RAF Waddington, Lincolnshire, from where it began it's last flight.
The declassified aircraft, having had it's highly sensitive data and instrumentation removed at Kemble, was taken in parts to the RAF Museum at Cosford in Shropshire. There are also MG meets held at Cosford but I had to choose one, so I'll stick with Kemble.

:dry: :unsure: :blink: :dry: :unsure: anything for that?
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by John Newey on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32987
Did the Nimrod once fly over Abingdon :)?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32993
B) Good answer John :whistle:

Replied by andy1970h on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32997
I'll let you have it John. That particular Nimrod was the AEW version which after massive cost overruns was cancelled and we got AWACS instead.
The aircraft that had been converted were left at Abingdon before being scrapped.

Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #32999

andy1970h wrote: I'll let you have it John. That particular Nimrod was the AEW version which after massive cost overruns was cancelled and we got AWACS instead.
The aircraft that had been converted were left at Abingdon before being scrapped.

Well done John, again :woohoo: your turn again, they are always good ;)
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #33029
Whilst waiting for John to get back to us with a question, here is a quick one just to keep you going and stave off any withdrawal symptoms. :whistle:

All you have to do is tell us;

1) the name this famous MGF is affectionately known by and

2) it's claim to fame.

If you recognise it you won't need any help but if you don't here a couple of clues.

First clue:

The fame has a connection to Saint Russell, as he is affectionately known in MGF/TF circles, that's our very own Russell of MG Rover Solutions

ok here is a better picture of the car, this is not the second clue just me being kind hearted :P

Second clue:

The inhabitants of this small town, twinned with Whitby, have many buildings made from this, like the popular Victory Bar Public House. They, however, refer to it (building material) affectionately by another name, very much like the MGF in our question.

Good Luck
Last Edit:12 years 9 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by PQD44.
Time to create page: 0.649 seconds