Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Posted 3 days 17 hours ago #209017

I'm not a chap...I'm a bloke....we don't do chaps in Oz!
Mind you, up in Oxford Street Sydney there are plenty of blokes that do chaps.....but that's another matter entirely!

David Aiketgate wrote:-
In the green sylvan paradise that is Cumbria, we refer to someone of the masculine gender as a Gadgie.
and a less than attractive person of the female gender as a buwer.🤣 

David
:shrug:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Airportable on topic Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Posted 3 days 15 hours ago #209023
A friend who was native to Keswick would use those endearing terms, I’d know him for some time before I realised their true significance.
One aside about my friend Miles was his method of poaching pheasants; silent & wholly successful.
Bird seed I abundance on a wire mesh grid, pair of long wires & an electronic inverter would up to fifteen. Watch from a distance, through binoculars & then press the button.
The bird would be part plucked part drawn & part cooked.
God bless you Miles.
M

Replied by sludge on topic Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Posted 3 days 13 hours ago #209026
Update, and hopefully the last I need to make.

This morning I went out to the car and got everything open and out for me to get to work on the loom. I'd left the battery out of the car all night, so once I had my tools and stuff out, I was curious to see what the tester would show. Tester showed 9.9V, ok not where it should be but at least it's not giving me problems like it was before. I then decided to put the charger back on to see if it was still being dumb, and to my surprise instead of saying 100% and turning itself off, it showed it was between 75% and 100% and then proceeded to start charging the battery, result!

So, whilst that charged for a bit, I got to work on the loom. Like I said yesterday, I needed the car to be usable today and tomorrow and so I was only doing a temporary fix for now until the other stuff I need arrives during the week. After about 2, maybe 2 and a half hours, I connected the last cable. My hands were sore given the huge lack of space in that area, and with the cables having no slack at all you're at the mercy of how little room there is. I'd removed the boot off the hinge temporarily to bring the loom to the other side to make it easier. Once done, I got in the car with the key and held my breath as I waited to see if that was the only thing I needed to fix.

I put the key in and turned it, nothing. No lights, no sounds. Then, in the corner of my eye, I saw the stupid battery still sat there in the garage on charge! My mistake out of the way, I put the battery in, and as soon as I heard the little spark of the negative terminal touching, I knew I was getting somewhere. Back in the car, ignition on and we were a go.

I tidied everything back up, got the loom back on the correct side of the hinge and tightened that back up before taking her for a little drive just to make sure the power wasn't going to vanish over the first bump. Everything went well, and after a stop at McDonalds for lunch, all was ok.

Next week I'll have to remove it all again anyway to do a more permanent fix still I suspect, but I'm happy and I'm thankful for all the advice and input everyone had on this thread. It's this sort of engagement and community that keeps these cars alive.
by sludge
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Posted 3 days 12 hours ago #209027
Good to se you're getting results!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by TA22GT on topic Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Posted 3 days 10 hours ago #209028
"then out of the corner of my eye I saw the stupid battery still sat there in the garage on charge"

Those are the best mistakes because you know instantly what the fault is!!  Well done mate...the guys on here pointed you in the right direction and you got through it.
Brilliant outcome.
by TA22GT

Replied by Airportable on topic Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Posted 3 days 8 hours ago #209032
Right, you are now the “go to” man on boot wiring & you’ve been a member for how long?
There you go, just get on with the jobs that require attention, as you’ve seen there are lots of folk who are happy to help, what could possibly go wrong?
Oh! Possibly sparks, a bit of smouldering, possibly a flame, a flame spreading to a petrol soaked rag, nothing more serious.
We’ll not after the fire brigade has gone & you’ve looked at the insurance small print.
NO I’m only ribbing you, but it illustrates what could happen if you don’t concentrate on the job in hand & constantly.
M
Last Edit:3 days 8 hours ago by Airportable
Last edit: 3 days 8 hours ago by Airportable.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Dead battery following alarm/electrical oddities

Posted 2 days 19 hours ago #209042
Disconnecting the bottom plastic fixing on the hinge allows for more movement of the loom.

David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds