MG Quiz

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40901
Please Sir,

Could it, could it, could it be a 1937 MG VA Tickford Drophead Coupe? :-?

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40918

Gadget2466 wrote: Is it a WA Paul? Both were very similar, one superseeded the other. Not quite sure if tickford had a hand in the drop head or not. There were several different body options.

Of course I am prbably completely wrong !!!!

It is indeed a 1939 MG WA, which was based on SA, wider bodied, 2.6 litre 73x102mm 2561 cc six cylinder engine, 95bhp, 80mph. 4-door Saloons, 4-seat Tourers, and Tickford Coupes. It was the largest MG ever made. A total of 369 WA were built.

Three types of coachwork were available on the WA chassis when it was announced in the summer of 1938. The saloon sold for £442, a Tickford drophead Coupe was available at £468 and Charlesworth Tourer could be secured for £450 but only nine of these were ever produced.

So there we have it and the winner of this round is Gadget2466 - :woohoo: Well done
by PQD44

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40923

Mr Forgetful wrote: Please Sir,

Could it, could it, could it be a 1937 MG VA Tickford Drophead Coupe? :-?

You looked in the same place that i did!!!!! i was sure that it was a SA and you a VA and it was a WA (according to clever cloggs) :coat:

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40924

PQD44 wrote:

Gadget2466 wrote: Is it a WA Paul? Both were very similar, one superseeded the other. Not quite sure if tickford had a hand in the drop head or not. There were several different body options.

Of course I am prbably completely wrong !!!!

It is indeed a 1939 MG WA, which was based on SA, wider bodied, 2.6 litre 73x102mm 2561 cc six cylinder engine, 95bhp, 80mph. 4-door Saloons, 4-seat Tourers, and Tickford Coupes. It was the largest MG ever made. A total of 369 WA were built.

Three types of coachwork were available on the WA chassis when it was announced in the summer of 1938. The saloon sold for £442, a Tickford drophead Coupe was available at £468 and Charlesworth Tourer could be secured for £450 but only nine of these were ever produced.

So there we have it and the winner of this round is Gadget2466 - :woohoo: Well done

Here is a picture:- they are like tanks :omg:

This car is 77 years old and has been owned by the same person for the past 52 years and is in original condition !!! wonder if the MGFs will last for another 60 years/// :slapme:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40926
Are the "orange things" some form of early spiked winter tyre? :dry: Obviously they never caught on as they must have made for a bumpy ride. :woohoo:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40934

Mr Forgetful wrote: Are the "orange things" some form of early spiked winter tyre? :dry: Obviously they never caught on as they must have made for a bumpy ride. :woohoo:

No, its a very clever, early drinks machine. Fresh orange juice is syphoned off as the wheels turn and fed via straws through the sun visors. Each wheel arch holds a supply of up to 50 satsumas... :broon:

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Mr Forgetful

Replied by Gadget2466 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40974
Sorry for the delay everyone. I am in Sweden and only have the Blackberry- no PC to be able to research easily and I reached the daily download limit.

Committed the cardinal sin of answering and not having a question to post immediately. Besides I was on the planne when I answerd and then they closed the door and had to turn off the phone.

So if you have one to post on my behalf anyone, please go ahead to keep things moving along

Gary

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Turned to the Darkside, K&N Apollo and extra bling fitted.52mm TB

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Tsleight

Replied by rog1963 on topic MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40975
I have a quick cryptic one to fill in with. In 1998 an MG was involved in a 'Tragedy'. Please explain giving model and colour of MG.
P.S. Barry was no where to be seen!
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by rog1963
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by rog1963.

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #40996

rog1963 wrote: I have a quick cryptic one to fill in with. In 1998 an MG was involved in a 'Tragedy'. Please explain giving model and colour of MG.

Still waiting for the first attempt.
Make sure you take the correct steps in your research!
by rog1963

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41022

rog1963 wrote:

rog1963 wrote: I have a quick cryptic one to fill in with. In 1998 an MG was involved in a 'Tragedy'. Please explain giving model and colour of MG.

Still waiting for the first attempt.
Make sure you take the correct steps in your research!

Maurice and Robin weren't there either!
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by rog1963
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by rog1963.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41034
Well this one appears to be going nowhere. The car caught my eye when surfing the music channels last night and when I saw that the quiz needed a filler this morning thought it might be a 'fun' one to stick in. I'll give it another hour then put you out of your misery.
by rog1963

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41041
The Tragedy would not be related to the Omagh bombing would it ? :-?

Time to create page: 0.686 seconds