MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41404
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: I have found the details, but dont know how to answer the question briefly :omg: :bust:

The car is 1935 MG K3 Magnette ~ the Torpedo of MG ~ two raced by Lord Howe (K3 001) and Hammie Hamilton (K3 008) but where, what, why, when, how (or Howe) i dunno, and there are reams to just "cut and paste" .
Where the Elephants come in, i am lost, unless it is the one that Clive lost when Simon was away !!!!!!!!!!!!! :slapme:
The topic has been locked.

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41413
Ahh. All becomes a little clearer.
So 3 goes with 33 refers to there were 33 K3 Magnettes produced or.... it could refer to there were 3 Magnettes entered into the ‘33 Mille Miglia.
2 comes into 1 possibly refers to there were two K2 Magnettes (KB & KD) followed by one K3 Magnette

The invite of two leaders
, The King of Italy (Victor Emmanuel III) and Mussolini

So the answer is that the MG team of Howe and Hamilton in one K3 backed up by Eyston and Lurani and Sir Henry Birkin in another two K3s won the Mille Miglia in 1933 and the team prize beating the Maseratis.

with the help of a descendant of artists
... don’t know, unless it refers to one of the other drivers who helped back up the win.

Only reference to elephant I can find is that The King of Italy gave some sort of award to an elephant circus act :-? :-?

Right, I'm off to Truro now and will be back in a couple of hours whjen i suspect Paul will have been along to clear up all the missing facts. ;)

Well done Bryan and great question Mr F.
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by rog1963
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by rog1963.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41415
Rog - you are 99.9% there - very well done. :broon:

Lord Howe - Hugh “Hammy” Hamilton, with their K3 with centric Marshall elephant supercharger and Wilson pre selector gearbox, 3 K3’s in the 1933 Mile Miglia in which 2 finished (21st & 22nd) coming 1st in class.

King Emmanuel 111, Mussolini and Bugatti - (Ettore Bugatti was from a family of artists and considered himself to be both an artist and constructor) - On his way to Italy, Lord Howe stopped in Molsheim to have his friend Ettore Bugatti take a look at the MG Magnette K3 prototype. His only concern was the front axle, which he deemed too weak. The team cars were immediately fitted with stronger axles. Bugatti's expert opinion proved to be absolutely correct as not much later one of the original axles failed on a production car.

The team of British M.G. K3 Magnettes were personally invited by the King of Italy and Mussolini to enter an official team.

And the torpedo - cycle wings, Rotax mesh covered headlamps and the distinctive torpedo side lamps :broon: :yesnod:

I.m off to golf after taking a week to construct that Quiz question and answer - Over to Rog when he gets back from Truro. I better try simple things today as complicated obviously isn't going to work. Well done and THANK YOU to all who tried. :coat: PS

BRYAN - You seem to be getting a little like me? Clive, India, - Africa - Italy - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - perhaps another one for me to work on :woohoo:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41434
Really enjoyed that one Mr F. Led me down some interesting (completely wrong) paths to start with. Thanks to the second clue and bryan for pointing us in the right direction.

Now for another. All you need is a printer and a pair of scissors :ohmy: :evil:

Below is a photo of someone famous; but I haven't made it that easy for you. The photo accidentally had a small re-arrangement in photoshop.
All you need to do is
a. name the person
b. name the mg
c. give the year of the connection and a brief story.

[IMG
by rog1963
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44, Tsleight

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41466

Mr Forgetful wrote: The team of British M.G. K3 Magnettes were personally invited by the King of Italy and Mussolini to enter an official team.

And here is a picture of the 'team'
Count Lurani in JB1475, Sir Henry Birkin in JB1474 and JB1472 that was driven by Earl Howe.
[IMG
by rog1963
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41467

rog1963 wrote: Really enjoyed that one Mr F. Led me down some interesting (completely wrong) paths to start with. Thanks to the second clue and bryan for pointing us in the right direction.

Now for another. All you need is a printer and a pair of scissors :ohmy: :evil:

Below is a photo of someone famous; but I haven't made it that easy for you. The photo accidentally had a small re-arrangement in photoshop.
All you need to do is
a. name the person
b. name the mg
c. give the year of the connection and a brief story.

A clue. This person made their name with the aid of 'Jason'

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41472
Is it one of the Argonauts? :-?

David
:shrug:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41477

David Aiketgate wrote: Is it one of the Argonauts? :-?

No, Jason was a 'Gypsy' :yesnod:

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41479
Amy Johnson presented with
MG 18/80
The British aviatrix Amy Johnson became the first woman to fly from England to Australia. Setting off from Croydon in her de Havilland Gipsy Moth plane, which she called Jason, on May 5th 1930, she flew solo, arriving 11,000 miles and 19 days later in Darwin. Johnson was awarded the Harmon Trophy and the honour of the CBE for her endeavours.
William Morris was so impressed with Johnson’s achievements, that he presented her with an MG 18/80 salonette. The 18/80, introduced at the 1928 Motor Show, was the first specifically designed MG and the first model to carry the distinctive MG radiator grille, which featured on MG cars into the 1950s.
Amy Johnson’s 18/80 was adorned with a special radiator mascot – a model of her plane Jason. William Morris had a similar model in his office at the Morris factory at Cowley. This very model can be seen in the re-creation of Morris’ Office, on display at the Heritage Motor Centre. The Gipsy Moth plane itself is exhibited at the Science Museum in London.

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41480
Excellent reply:
Here is the unjumbled photo and also a photo of her being presented with the car in question

[IMG

[IMG

over to you Tsleight :yesnod:
by rog1963
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Tsleight

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41481
What MG was 95% exported from Britain?

The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963, PQD44

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #41511
A clue is that more than 100 000 were made...

Time to create page: 0.684 seconds