MG Quiz

• PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #48486
This is MG's unsuccessful attempt at providing a Lunar Roving Vehicle for NASA :slapme:

....or it could be take one of an advertising campaign for the MGB :yesnod:

Quote from PostWar Classic (link)

"Back in 1973 British Leyland of USA cooked up an idea for a TV ad campaign in which they thought it would be nice to parachute an MGB from a cargo plane, have it land somewhere in the desert and drive it away. It would sure make for some nice shots. In fact it did and the commercial was very successful.
But not immediately as on the first attempt the parachute failed to open, so it would be difficult to drive away."

The North American market has provided quite a few of our recent questions, which have been a pleasure to find out about - Many thanks to rog1963 and Tui :beer:
Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by PQD44.
The topic has been locked.

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #48488
Well found PQD44. I hope you don't mind if I add just a little more to your answer before we move on with the next question.
The parachute commercial was part of a series of ad campaigns promoting the MGB with the slogan 'One jump ahead'. Here is a sample of one such ad:
[IMG

As you rightly point out, the commercial was very successful and did, in fact, scoop several awards; including The Outstanding Automotive Commercial of 1973 by the US Television Commercial Festival. (I'm assuming this would be the annual Clio Award Festival, but I have had difficulty linking the two together on the web info available on the Clio Awards).
A short clip of the ad can be found here on the link about 6th line down in the text:
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cambs.mgoc/gall-bcv.htm

Apparently, the insurance claim for the MGB in the failed attempt simply read - 'The car fell to the ground'.

And now onwards with Paul's question.
Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by rog1963
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by rog1963.
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #48490
Thanks for that rog, ok here you go with the new question

Part 1

What is it?

Part 2

What links a 1963 MG to a 2007 Toyota Camry :-?
Last Edit:12 years 2 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by PQD44.
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #48568
Clue; Motor sport
by PQD44

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #48579
The car is probably MG EX 182 which raced at Le Mans in 1955 and was a prototype leading to the MGA.

Not looked at part 2 yet!!!

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #48581
Part 2:

The Camry in 2007 was the first foreign car in NASCAR since the MGA in 1963. I liked that question - nice one!

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 2 months ago #48602
:woohoo: Tsleight a perfect answer to Part 1

It was indeed the MG EX 182 as raced at Le Mans in 1955 by Dick Jacobs - Joe Flynn.

Part 2, you are spot on again. Yes the MGA was raced for three years in NASCAR competitions, it never won a race and withdrew from NASCAR in 1963. NASCAR remained an all American affair until 2007 when a Toyota Camary was entered.

Take the wheel, Tsleight :drive: the quiz in your hands
by PQD44
Attachments:
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48774
Just while we wait for Tsleight to get back in range of his wireless router here is a quick question.

Who went to Sheepsteads crossroad and when and why did they stop? Who carried on?

Good luck
by PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48851
They all saw the black horse but only those that didn't return saw the dog house?

A reminder of the current question for which the above is a clue

Who went to Sheepsteads crossroad and when and why did they stop? Who carried on?
Last Edit:12 years 1 month ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by PQD44.
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Replied by tui on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48872
Until about 1970, before MGs could pass their final factory inspection they all were sent out over a standard test route:

All MG test drives started by leaving the factory and travelling west on the Marcham Road (route A415).

A return test was sometimes needed, which required a variety of routes to verify the rectification of specific faults. This was often conducted by supervisory staff with the fitter riding 'shotgun.'

Barrow Road leading to Shippon Village, with its bumpy edges was used to check suspension rattles.

High speed vibrations, such as wheels out of balance, were checked on a good smooth section of side road leading off the A415, nicknamed by some as 'The Marcham Road M1.'

A third rectification route was sometimes needed, which took the late 40's outwards route with a further loop from the Sheepstead crossroads into Kingston Bagpuize and back to the factory via Frilford Village, Frilford and Sheepstead crossroads, then the usual route back to the factory at Abingdon. This last route was also used as the standard test route for Abingdon produced Rileys.

The pre-war route travelled out to Frilford and then looped clockwise back to Marcham. These cars passed 'The Dog House.' The post-war to late 1940s route traveled only out to Marcham, but then looped clockwise back through Gozzards Ford, so only saw 'The Black Horse.'

We're told that, from 1950 pretty much all MG cars took one basic test route. The only deviation was that MGB-GT V8 cars continued a little farther out so that the cars could travel briefly on the A420 and thus reach higher speeds. The basic route was about 5.7 miles, whereas the extended (V8) route was about 11.2 miles. The basic route is "out-and-back", whereas the extension adds a big counter-clockwise loop.

After 1975, the factory started using rolling road test stations to check the majority of cars, although they continued road testing a statistical sampling. Also, they continued to test drive every MGB GT V8. It was the MGB GT V8s that saw The Dog House.

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui
  • PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48876
Hari never disappoints :woohoo:

Nothing I can add to that answer, it's time for you to teach us a thing or two. Look forward to your new question
by PQD44
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Replied by tui on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48878
I was waiting for Tsleight to set a question...

But after a day of waiting I got impatient :dry:

Next question:

What do de-boning sardines and 'Donkey Hockey' have in common with which MG?

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui
Time to create page: 0.629 seconds