MG Quiz

Replied by alanrt54 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48939
Finding decent questions for the quiz is getting difficult. I had a couple prepared but a quick forum search showed that both have been mentioned in passing in posts giving further information though not actually set as questions. Will have think and post next question later.
The topic has been locked.
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Replied by tui on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48940

alanrt54 wrote: The Emerald Necklace MG Register (ENMGR) was established in 1980 as a northern Ohio register for all MG automobiles. This register operates to promote the enjoyment, preservation, and restoration of the MG automobile

Emerald Necklace MG Register

http://www.mgcleveland.com/

I wanted a bit more info about how the name came about, but should have phrased the question better, so spot on Alan!

When the club was formed in 1980 by Craig Peck and his wife, Sue, they knew the huge Metroparks system around the Cleveland metropolitan area would be used extensively by the Club for driving and other social events. This park system has been known as the 'Emerald Necklace' for many years due to the 'green necklace' that encircles the area and is comprised of a network of over 75 miles of scenic roads, 16 park reservations across 22,000 acres, hundreds of miles of walking, bicycle, horse trails, as well as parks, picnic areas, fishing areas, plus 5 Nature Education Centres and 7 Golf courses.

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48945

I know its an MGB but

1. Who Designed this hardtop?

2. What company made the hardtop and what is it called?
Last Edit:12 years 1 month ago by alanrt54
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by alanrt54.
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48951
Its a J&S hardtop.

With the MGB GT never locally assembled, there was a marketing opportunity for after-market fixed hardtops in Australia. A gifted stylist from Melbourne, Anthony Pusteria had already had two of his designs produced. The first was sold by Peter Manton Motors in Melbourne as the "MGB Gran Turismo."

Tony Pusteria, having accepted a position with Chrysler in Detroit in "Styling", sold his business, "International Styling" and under the new owners, the hardtop was remodeled with a Kamm tail and the opening rear hatch was eliminated, necessitating luggage access through the cabin. This revised design was marketed across Australia as the "MGB Fastback" by International Body Styling.

En route to Chrysler, Detroit, Tony Pusteria made contact with J & S in Sydney, ultimately contributing at least one design to J & S , subsequently marketed as the "MGB GTB" fixed hardtop, pictured above.

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48962
Well done Tui.

More information on the subject of Australian hardtops can be found here

http://www.mgexperience.net/article/australian-hardtops.html

I am now retiring from participation in the MG Quiz as I am finding it difficult to find interesting questions to set!
  • PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48964
Well done Tui, there is no stopping you.

:nofight: Alan, I reckon every other article you read on MG history gives you a few more questions, relax and you find the thought ......mmmm that'll make a good question pops up quite regularly. Just remember to bookmark the page so you can find it again. You could just use my method and set uninteresting questions :bust:

OK come on then Hari, bring it on, I'm ready :P
Last Edit:12 years 1 month ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by PQD44.
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #48967

alanrt54 wrote: I am now retiring from participaion in the MG Quiz as I am finding it difficult to find interesting questions to set!

Alan you can't quit! You've come up with some great questions :yesnod: and I have learned a lot answering them!

PQD44 wrote: OK come on then Hari, bring it on, I'm ready :P

Uh oh... I'm going to have to come up with something horribly cryptic :-?

... Well I can't think of anything that difficult, but who is this and what is the story behind this picture?

-=Visit my Website!=-

Last Edit:12 years 1 month ago by tui
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by tui.

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #49002
I just can't help myself!

This is SRX210 driven in the Le Mans 24 hours in 1959/60/61 by Ted Lund and Colin Escott. I suspect that the picture shows it in 1959 after it collided with a dog!

It was later fitted with an aluminum coupe body and won its class in 1960. There is much speculation as to whether the body was the sixth spare shell produced for the 1955 race or if it was the body off an actual race car EX182/41.

See also http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/variants/vt104.htm and http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/twincam/tc107-627s.htm for more information
Attachments:
  • tui
  • tui's Avatar Offline
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #49004
He's done it again! :woohoo:

Colin Escott in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, 1959. Damage is from a collision with a stray dog on the track. The This car later retired from the race.

-=Visit my Website!=-

Last Edit:12 years 1 month ago by tui
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by tui.

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #49007
Completely different type of question this time.

A Great Hollywood actress said the line "You never should have bought an MG, you should have bought a tractor!" in a film.

1. Which actress?
2. Which film?
3. Who was her male co-star?
  • PQD44
  • PQD44's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #49010
:welcome: back Alan, nice to see you again. Nice question :yesnod: horrible quote :bang:

Mind you if you need to plough a field a tractor would be better than a TF :bust:
by PQD44

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 1 month ago #49011
Audrey Hepburn
Two for the Road
Albert Finney

David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.671 seconds