• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Replied by tui on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50059
And what a film!

Thanks Andy :) ok so next question:

Which MG models was this special hard top available for? What is it's name and the company that made them?

-=Visit my Website!=-

by tui
The topic has been locked.

Replied by alanrt54 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50065
It is an Ogle hardtop made for the Sprite MKIII and MG Midget MkII. The Ogle brochure does not give a product name. A similar MGB Hardtop was also made.

More info on Midget Hardtops can be found here http://www.mgnuts.com/hardtops/midget/
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50066
The car pictured is a 1964 MG Midget Mk1 with a 948cc A Series engine. :yesnod: So the Ogle top must fit the MK1 too.

The car pictured is currently SORN so it is still around
Last Edit:12 years 4 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by PQD44.
  • tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50067
Nice one Alan :beer: Was hoping you might not remember! Also available on the Sprite III, made by David Ogle Limited of Letchworth, Hertfordshire.

-=Visit my Website!=-

Last Edit:12 years 4 months ago by tui
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by tui.

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50071
Next question
Why was the MGTC driven by George Phillips and "Curly" Dryden disqualified from the 1949 Le Mans 24 Hours?
Last Edit:12 years 4 months ago by alanrt54
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by alanrt54.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50072
While you have a think about Alan's question here is the update to the MG Quiz Hall of Fame

Our highest scorer this week has been Alan (alanrt54) with three wins closely followed by Hari and David on two points each

Quick reminder of Alan's question

Why was the MGTC diven by George Phillips and "Curly" Dryden disqualified from the 1949 Le Mans 24 Hours?
by PQD44
Attachments:

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50075
After 10 minutes of fruitless searching, I see several websites stating "Disqualified: Outside help" and another stating that the MG did not cover the required number of laps to qualify by the following morning.

However I finally found this comment relating to the 1949 event, the first one after the war:
"Post-war, Le Mans success proved elusive for many years. On the first running of the race once hostilities had ended, the MG of Curly Dryden and George Phillips was disqualified for receiving outside assistance – the guilty mechanic even being driven back to the pits in the car before it re-joined the race, with reports suggesting he was even waving to the crowd! "
by MartinW
  • tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50076
Well done Martin! I was beginning to give up after seeing "outside help" over and over, but found the same page stating that is was because of receiving outside help that they were disqualified. Cheeky! :spank:

-=Visit my Website!=-

Last Edit:12 years 4 months ago by tui
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by tui.

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50080
Thanks, tui, I was getting annoyed at not being able to find a specific page that gave more than the basic info until I stumbled upon that page. Anyway, I am 3 hrs ahead of UK time, what's your excuse for being a night owl? Work?

Ok, so to keep you on track for Quiz Domination, I will assume I am right and pose another question:

Rivervale were recently mentioned in connection with a famous aircraft designer, so here's another in the "did you know" about the current MG Dealers.

Which MG dealer is linked with Princess Anne via Car No 5?
by MartinW
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50087
One of HRH's 8 Reliant Scimitars, the Middlebridge No.5 which she still owns.

In 1971 The Royal Family bought HRH Princess Anne her first Scimitar (SE5) as a combined Christmas and 20th Birthday gift it was painted aircraft blue in colour and was trimmed out in light grey leather.

All of HRH Princess Ann's many Scimitars have worn the same cherished numberplate, it has been worn by the Middlebridge No. 5 above for the past 21 years, The reg; 1420 H refers to her position as Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal 14/20th Hussars.

The MG dealer linked with Princess Anne via Car No.5 is .... ?? I don't know got to go to work now :slapme:
Last Edit:12 years 4 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50143
Very good! And...? So close, yet so far.
by MartinW

Posted 12 years 4 months ago #50224
The MG Dealers are Graham Walker Ltd. http://www.grahamwalker.co.uk/

After Middlebridge went into liquidation Graham Walker bought the rights and the body moulds etc to the Scimitar.

From the Middlebridge Scimitar Enthusiast Site http://www.middlebridge-scimitar.co.uk/ :-

"Bidder number 22 “Graham Walker” was a very busy man with a big shopping list, He’s also owner of the Worlds largest Scimitar Spares outlet, at about 4.30pm up came first of the really talked about lots “The Big One” Lot 653 which was for the entire stock of Middlebridge Moulds and the rights to the names Scimitar GTE and GTC there was also a hand written note on the auctioneers podium that included the rights to make the Scimitar body shape, the bidding started at £3000 with Graham Walker bidding as expected, when the lot reached £6000 there was only one other bidder “a man nobody knew” the two bidders pushed the price up to £31,500 way past what Graham Walker had expected to pay but way short of the 400,000 paid by Middlebridge to Reliant some three years earlier, the other bidder turned out to be Jefferson Ritson a Glass-fibre manufacturer from Birmingham., Graham Walker did win the Lot and still owns all the moulds and rights to this day".
Last Edit:12 years 4 months ago by alanrt54
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by alanrt54.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
Time to create page: 0.772 seconds