MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38148
I thought some RV8s went to Oz ~ i think you should also give the colours. All that went to Japan were Goodwood Green as your picture, Old English White, Nightfire, White Gold, etc
The topic has been locked.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38149
The numbers are wrong Paul, just take this off the V8 register .

How many RV8s were built?
If you are puzzled as to how to reconcile the frequently mentioned total production figure of 2,000 RV8s then the following explanation may help. The first production RV8 was VIN 0251 in line with the longstanding custom at MG and the final RV8 was VIN 2233, a total of 1,983 cars. Research by John Bolt and Chris Allan indicates there were 31 pre-development and validation cars of which some 24 were registered, so the RV8 production total is believed to be 2,007.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38154

bryan young wrote: I thought some RV8s went to Oz ~ i think you should also give the colours. All that went to Japan were Goodwood Green as your picture, Old English White, Nightfire, White Gold, etc

:nonod: SUPERB and completely correct reply :bust: new it was too good to last.

..some went to Oz, :omg: for goodness sake I did not try and account for every single RV8 ever produced. (Note to self: Less is more, KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid) Plus he wants the colour of every one of them now :lol: it gets worse.

Just regarding Oz (Paul don't do it, he will just try and use it against you) I believe most of the RV8's there are ones which have been re-exported from Japan to Australia.

Just on accuracy of information Bryan you stated that the colour sent to Japan was Goodwood Green. The RV8 was never produced in this colour. 79.7% of the cars sent to Japan were in the optional colour of Woodcote Green. There was in fact actually only one car sent in another shade of green, British Racing Green. You also stated that cars in White Gold went to Japan :nonod: this is also incorrect as none in this colour went to Japan. Only 12 were made in White Gold and they all remained in the UK. Would you like me to go on? :P

:unsure: This lot wouldn't be satisfied with blood from a stone, they'd want blood of each Group AND further subdivided by Rh antigen.

As for the MG first. It was also the very first MG to have a proper fitting mohair hood. It was also the first two seater open top sports car to bear the MG name since production of the MGB stopped in 1980.

You're a tough crowd :slapme:
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38156

bryan young wrote: SUPERB and completely correct reply :woohoo:

then

bryan young wrote: The numbers are wrong Paul

I Give up :sick: , if anyone wants to contact me, send a pm, if your names not Bryan I will reply :bust:

bryan young wrote: ..If you are puzzled as to how to reconcile the frequently mentioned total production figure of 2,000 RV8s then ....so the RV8 production total is believed to be 2,007.

This is totally unacceptable Bryan, tell us WHERE the seven where first taken for their third shopping trip and the shoe size of the owners, the scent of the air freshener used plus the radio station they were tuned to on Feb 5th 2011?

:P

Just a quick note regarding the research you quoted, it finished by adding the proviso that all the figures mentioned were still to be verified. :whistle:

It really is great that eventually all the world's MG misconceptions will be gone through, one by one, with a fine T-Bar MG Quiz tooth comb and the truth will be known.

Keep up the good work men :yesnod:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38159
:-? Since I possibly got a sort of right answer to that last one here is your [strike]punishment[/strike] next challenge

Look at each of these pairs of photo's

========================================================================================

========================================================================================

Ask yourself, what do each of the pairs above have in common?

How do they relate to the one below?

Answer these and you'll know the answer to my question, which is simply which one is missing ?

Have fun
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44. Reason: Clarification
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38160
Paul - don't blame me - I only asked what it was and the first for an MG !! Where the rest came from :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

I'm off to golf - I'll have a look at page 166 (you and brian should have got there by then :P ) when I get back :bust:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38161
MG TF

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38185
:yesnod: TF you say ..........errrr :pinch: :nonod:

Ted, I would be interested in your line of thinking to arrive at TF.

I think you may not be too far off.
by PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38194
Apologies for posting mid question but while we catch our breath and take a little look back at the week that was, here is your update to the MG Quiz Hall of Fame

Special mention this week goes to Mr Forgetful, who made headway on the league table, opening up his lead over Red Devil and Bryan Young and closing the gap on second place Tsleight.
Even spread across the board this week, with two correct answers each for Tsleight, MartinW and John Newey

For a reminder of last weeks update see here

No one could ever accuse us of not being thorough, the input of each and every T-Bar member is appreciated and is producing an impressive archive of fully explored, considered answers to many interesting MG facts.

So without further ado, let's have a good clean 'fight' no hitting below the belt, Queensbury rules apply - seconds out......

Let the MG Quiz continue :woohoo:
Attachments:

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38203

PQD44 wrote: :yesnod: TF you say ..........errrr :pinch: :nonod:

Ted, I would be interested in your line of thinking to arrive at TF.

So would I! I have absolutely no idea whats going on with this question!!!! :P

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38205

Mr Forgetful wrote: Paul - don't blame me - I only asked what it was and the first for an MG !! Where the rest came from :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

I'm off to golf - I'll have a look at page 166 (you and brian should have got there by then :P ) when I get back :bust:

You should know by now that one line or one word answers are just not allowed :nonod: Only the full , precice and correct answer is acceptable, even if it is only one word!!!!! and i am working on the answers for the first Seven RV8 owners, just a wee problem as some went to Japan!!!!
I seem to have managed to upset Paul again :rant: :rant: about the RV8 numbers, colours and destinations. There has always been confusion of the EXACT number of RV8s actually made, which i understand is now over 2000 and has been confirmed in the RV8 book by Christopher Allan & George Wilder. Only 251 copies of this book were printed and were completely sold out within days of the release. I know someone who has got one, so the plot will thicken. and the story will continue :slapme:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38207
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I get back and you are STILL on page 142, has Brian gone to Coventry in a huff - or an MG for that matter ;)

Ah, PQD, I have just got in - the MGTF sprang to mind as the last car is an Alvis TF21 - I have now done some - repeat, some research and am becomming boged down so, for everybody's amusement

1 Douglas AF-4 Skyhawk ? Douglas merged with McDonnell aircraft - later taken over by Boeing - Boeing Integrated Defence - a subsid make :-?
2 M 16 Rifle ? Originally manufactured by Colt who bought the rights from ArmaLite who were orginally part of Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation who were a subcontractor for Boeing - company now no longer in aerospace rifle manufactured later by Fabrique Nationale S.A. of Belgium
3 Alfa Romeo Mito - Lookers - stock all sorts of car makes but, to MY knowledge, not into Aerospace??
4 Ferrari Both Alfa Romeo and Ferrari owned by Fiat
5 Tony Curtis and e-type jag
6 Fiat 600 TOY CAR - are you insinuating that Tony Curtis was a TOY boy :omg:
7 Alvis TF 21 - Alvis was part of Rover (1965) sold to United Scientific Holdings - subsequently Alvis Ltd - bought GKN armoured division then Vickers Defence Systems then formed a subsid Alvis Vickers ltd which eventually was bought out by BAE systems (which had owned Rover plc in 1990’s).

Sooooooooo, is it all to do with mergers - I don't know and pass the baton on :bust: :nonod:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young
Time to create page: 1.015 seconds