MG Quiz

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38531
Just before we take a look at rog1963's answer, ......Mr Forgetful, you really do need to move on, that question is now ancient history and as usual you over complicated things :lol:

rog1963 wrote: Ok here goes:
It's a Patterson/Brydon MGTC Special
It's at Port Wakefield Race Circuit
The day ( from the Ali clue) is 25th February
The year 1955??
At first I thought Aus Grand Prix, but Im struggling to link dates for that

Also haven't got a clue to the Tony Curtis link.

OK As David doesn't appear to be around I'll have a go at answering your answer.

You have identified the car in the picture posted by David, which as you rightly said is a Patterson/Brydon Special based on a 1948 MG TC

Hence the first three pictures in my clues on the previous page;
John Barry Humphries, as Sir Les Patterson, Australia's foul-mouthed cultural attaché
Rob Brydon and thirdly
Pictured in 1948, Tony Curtis - 1948 TC (see previous question for use of Tony Curtis to identify a TC)

The where, which is obviously a race track, using the photo of Dr Wakefield, the doctor at the centre of MMR vaccine scare and the previous clues, sounds like a place in West Yorkshire, and the surprised none of our overnight visitors, our Australian members, plus the fact that the landscape in the picture is so reminiscent of the Australian bush, should have lead you to;

Wakefield Park Raceway, Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia . Which, just out of interest, is named after Charles Cheers Wakefield, the founder of Castrol Oil. This is not the same place as the Port Wakefield Race Circuit, home of the 1955 Australian Grand Prix which was won by Jack Brabham. Not realising this originally myself I did not give any clues to better differentiate the 'Wakefield' track in question.

However, these two, put together with my original clues of 'those vintage racing in far off places that sound like a place in ...West Yorkshire' would have, I hoped, have lead you to the 'Wakefield Park Historics event'. An event which has been run several times, hence my original reference to bloomin repeats. (for clues in previous post see here )

The next Wakefield Park Historics event is to be held this year, commencing on the 25th of February. As you identified :oops: after my bum clue, as the date of the first Clay / Liston fight in 1964.

For full details of the event and a description of what an Aussie Special actually is see here , background info can be found about half way down the page.

:woohoo: As far as I'm concerned you more than deserve the win :broon: .

That was a very tough one from David :bang: . as I'm sure you all discovered. :evil: Please address any complaints to him, I just tried to help you guys, honest :dry:

rog1963 - over to you for the next question :yesnod:

:unsure: I do hope we can now have a return to 'easier, less obscure questions' which do not require a Ph.D in MG to figure out the answer :bang:
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Mr Forgetful
The topic has been locked.

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38535
Thanks Paul. Im just about to leave for work but should be able to find time to fit a Q. in this morning. I have one planned and the pics are at work.
by rog1963

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38538
Paul?David please could i add a little more information????

As far as i could find out the photo that David posted was taken at the HSRCA Wakefield Park meeting on 24/25 September 2011 and No 38 was listed as a 1949 MGTC Special driven by John Gillet..

Very well done to Rog in getting the correct answer and look forward to another "easy one" :slapme: :bang:

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38539
Original source here:- Catalina 1961
So tell me again-who got the right answer?:shrug:

Patterson Brydon MG Special.
Catalina Racetrack, Katoomba, New South Wales.

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by David Aiketgate
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by David Aiketgate.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38553
Not me, :bust: my information was a bit out!! i found a list for 1949 MGTC Special being raced at Wakefield Park last September with number 38 ~ it is No 37 in your photo and is shown as a 1948 Patterson-Brydon MGTC Special (there were two made apparently) this car should have been at the HSRCA meeting in September.

I think Rog should be the winner :yesnod:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38555

David Aiketgate wrote: ...
So tell me again-who got the right answer?:shrug:

Let me get this straight. You post a question 2 1/2 days ago, within a couple of minutes I suggest the answer I explained earlier, you say Paul clever clogs has got it.

As you gave no clues and as no one was able to make any headway, half a day later I post a series of clues to the answer explained earlier and you say ....... nothing :pinch:

Another day passes and with still no progress and frustrated MG Quiz devotees now calling the Samaritans for help and developing the shakes, I post more clues and hints to the answer explained earlier, hope you're following this :lol: and you say .......nothing :pinch:

The first real attempt, which is good research, is made by rog, you say ........nothing :pinch:

Another five hours go by and seeing rog1963's answer, I go through my explanation of the answer and clues and ........ you say............. (have you guessed)...... nothing :pinch:

Another 10 hours go by and you say .............. (no not nothing) ........... the answer is half correct :omg: Could you tell me since when has Catalina been in West Yorkshire :pinch:

I hate to say it ........................ but I agree with ............. (this is hard).......... (we haven't always seen eye to eye)..... Bryan, yes Bryan.

Bryan is correct - Rog is the winner :yesnod:

Long live democracy :P

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38556
Fight, fight

:woohoo:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38558
That wasn't so hard was it Paul :bust: very amused by your comments, especially needing a Phd in MG :coat:

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38559
Well, Paul, what can I say, but....

:P Ner, ner ne ner ner! :P Paul, (clever clogs)! :lol:
How do you feel now, Mr Smarty Pants, :bust: ( I've got the answer already, but I'm just going to make clever comments to show what a know-it-all I am)? :P

A bit :oops: :oops: hmm?

;)

David
:shrug:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38569
Any chance of the next question please - I have withdrawal symptoms :sick:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38570
Sorry for delay guys ...Didn't get chance to post at work and have only just got in. I will be happy to take the glory no matter how it comes :broon:

I have to have a cuppa and scan a pic so give me half hour and a question will be posted
by rog1963
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #38572

David Aiketgate wrote: Well, Paul, what can I say, but....

:bust: I feel great :P especially after the brick wall of a question you posted which got no response from any T-Bar member for nearly 36 hours, you nearly stalled the MG Quiz roller coaster, you fifth columnist :lol:

Mr forgetful was kind enough to send me a gift, and here it is.......

I thought that was rather kind of him and after all the chants of 'fight fight' and cans of worms I thought it only fitting that we give him something in return.

So pictured below we see Mr forgetful holding his golden 'on yer bike' the first part of this prestigious award, with the 'giant stirrer' ready for handover by the T-Bar Devon area representative.

As for David, well for his services to the MG Quiz, especially after the leniency shown after his 'TC' answer and in light of recent events I think there can be but one outcome

Go the the naughty corner, you're barred from the next question, to be set by rog1963 :lol:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Mr Forgetful
Time to create page: 0.903 seconds