MG Quiz

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42787

bryan young wrote: Bryan, entering from stage left, didnt have a chance did it, with Mr F on top form :slapme:

Bryan - A Leyland designed V8 (250bhp) was an option in the Scammel Crusader – was this the same engine? _ I somehow doubt it but worth a punt!! :whistle:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The topic has been locked.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42795

Mr Forgetful wrote:

bryan young wrote: Bryan, entering from stage left, didnt have a chance did it, with Mr F on top form :slapme:

Bryan - A Leyland designed V8 (250bhp) was an option in the Scammel Crusader – was this the same engine? _ I somehow doubt it but worth a punt!! :whistle:

No i dont think that was the same Buick V8 engine, the one in the Scammel was AEC designed for Leyland and i would have thought it would have been a diesel :coat:

Replied by Gadget2466 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42824

Mr Forgetful wrote:

Trying to be Crafty again Forgetful, well two can play at that game.

Clue to the answer I am thinking of,
Edmund Hilary was very glad to have one with him.......... :broon: :lol: :bust: :slapme:

Get that one and I'll hand the baton over to you.

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Turned to the Darkside, K&N Apollo and extra bling fitted.52mm TB

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Gadget2466
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Gadget2466.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42825

Mr Forgetful wrote: Lotus GKN47D – a V8 Europa but not mass produced :yesnod:

and

Leyland P76 and Force 7V hatchback (Australia) :broon:

Not allowed the P76 - although throughly tested it was not actually released in UK. :nonod: :nonod:

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42839

Gadget2466 wrote:

Mr Forgetful wrote: Lotus GKN47D – a V8 Europa but not mass produced :yesnod:

and

Leyland P76 and Force 7V hatchback (Australia) :broon:

Not allowed the P76 - although throughly tested it was not actually released in UK. :nonod: :nonod:

Oh no - not fair - that will upset the Tasmanian Devil when he wakes up - come on Bacchus - wherefor art thou!!

While the K2 Sherpa's engine remained available (including the ancient B-series diesel), a 2.5-litre diesel unit was now offered on the 300 series, and following the completion of a special Police contract, the Rover 3.5-litre V8 unit also became available from 1986.

Don't tell me this is the final clue in my coffin :coat: :rant: :broon: :yesnod:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Gadget2466

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42846
Well done Mr F. I think Bryan left that one to you....

well don Ray for the Morgan 8

As Mr F mentioned the most, and he go the Left Field Sherpa Van - I know not strictly a car :slapme: , but I wanted to catch out Mr F. ;) ;)

Over to you for the next installment. ......

:broon: :broon: :broon: :broon: :broon: :broon:

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42850
Thank you Garry - I did wonder about "commercials" hence the delve into Scammel but at that stage got "waylaid".

Well this one is not difficult - they never are when you know the answer!! I might know this because of where I go from time to time!!?? (No NOT Golf)

What is the link between Aston Martin, Cobra, Skoda, Singer, Austin, Triumph, Jaguar, Ford, Fiat and MG :(

The following might give a link and a two-pot screamer would know. :-?

Please note these are not the same cars.

Just a little details for the answer please - Have fun :evil:

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42900
This is dragging a little so a bit of help.

A name - like that of a major player of a major country although he was only that from 1857 - 1861 :-?
A place - well that same country has a similar sounding place although not the right one and Robin Hood's mate sounded like it! :-? :-?
Does this hint help :evil:

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42967
Excuse my ignorance :slapme: but what is a two pot screamer ??
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42973
Would have thought that bacchus or one of our other friends from down under would have helped us out with this one.

Been busy with the Cool Wall and the Durham run today, but here goes... bear with me because I'm just thinking out loud at the moment :unsure:

The cars are known as Buchanan Racecars. The N. H. Buchanan Motor Company used racing to promote the fibreglass bodies they were producing at their factory in Annandale, NSW. Nat Buchanan, his partner Jock Morgan and "Works" driver Bruce Maher, built up the first "Works" racer on a MG TD chassis with a TF engine.

The first car pictured is 'Gladiator' built in 1957 using a MG XPAG 1498 engine

The second is a Buchanan MG built in 1958 based on an MG TC

As far as I can see Buchanan built cars based on MG, Fiat, Lotus, Singer, Triumph and Holdens

Arthur Rizzo designed twin tube chassis for the Buchanans and I have found out he designed a chassis used in a Riley

This is an article about a Buchanan Holden which has a Rizzo chassis

OK How is that for starters :-? Don't see a link to the other car manufacturers yet
by PQD44
Attachments:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42978
:unsure: Still thinking out loud.....

OK the other name associated with Buchanan is Horst Kwech. He was a race car driver, race car constructor, engineer and inventor and worked for Buchanans before moving to the USA where in 1968 he raced for Shelby, hence the Cobra link.

OK what remains from your list Mr F... Aston Martin, [strike]Cobra[/strike], Skoda, [strike]Singer[/strike], [strike]Austin[/strike], [strike]Triumph[/strike], Jaguar, Ford, [strike]Fiat[/strike] and [strike]MG[/strike]

Looking for Horst Kwech I see he was racing in Australia in the fifties with an Austin-Healey 100/4. In the USA he was associated with Alfa Romeo and Lola Cars... Ah ha Lola have used Aston-Martin V12 engine.

I need to do something else now, if I'm way off Mr F please tell me now and put me out of my misery :slapme:
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #42984
Thank you Paul - a two-pot screamer is an Australian drunkard (hence Australian Connection) and Buchanan was President of the USA 1857 - 1861 whilst Alan a Dale (Robin Hood's mate) was supposed to point you to Annandale NSW (there is also an Annandale in Virginia - USA). :yesnod:

The original Buchanan mould came from an Aston Martin DB3-S and whilst they started with MG based cars they did indeed produce the following based as well Cobra 8, Singer 1, Skoda 3, BMC1, Triumph 4,Jaguar 2, Ford 3, Austin 3, Fiat 1, Holden 24 and OR COURSE the original MG 20
Bodies Built: 150 N.H. Buchanan Motor Company - 100, J&S Fibreglass - 50 (they bought the moulds after Buchannan went from MG based on to the Cobra - (The Buchanan Cobra was introduced in 1958 as a production vehicle based on Standard 10 mechanicals) :yesnod:

Sorry but I thought Bacchus would have jumped on this especially as a works MG based Buchanan raced there. :nonod: :coat:

Over to you Paul - I'll go and watch Inspector Montalbano (in Italian - BBC4 with subtitles). Might make more sense than me setting obscure questions :coat: :slapme:

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, rog1963, PQD44
Time to create page: 0.659 seconds