WHEEL NUTS

Replied by Airportable on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 2 days ago #206978
The McGuards (?) are a better option but to be honest who’s going to nick an MG wheel, other than another MG owner (other BL cars use the same PCD) & how likely is that.
As you have seen they can be more trouble than they’re worth.
Mind you I still have them on my car but only because I’ve only got 12 decent originals & am too tight to by any more.
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 2 days ago #206979
Yep, I reckon those are exactly the bastards of things he means, damned things have always been a recipe for disaster.......way to easy to round off as they're made of shit!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by MGB281 on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 1 day ago #206982
The Mcguards are way better than the ones you show Len. When I have looked there isn’t much difference in price between four good used MG nuts and decent locking ones.
by MGB281

Replied by digcot65 on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 1 day ago #206987
Hello I have bought a set of black wheel nuts I wasnt sure as to whether I should fit the four locking wheel nuts that were on .I had trouble removing the original nuts,with the chrome capping on .Horrible things

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 1 day ago #206989
Yep, the chromed steel covered original nuts, tend to swell and deform. Or the chrome capping comes loose...
The original locking nuts are made out of cheese and deform. Also the locking key isn't made of much better material and also deforms and/or just breaks the 'key' part off.
The only positive(?) is that the locknut material is so soft you can just hammer a multipoint socket over them to get them off after your locking key has failed.:pop:

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:4 weeks 1 day ago by David Aiketgate
Last edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by David Aiketgate.

Replied by MGB281 on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 22 hours ago #206992
I should have said in my previous reply that I carry two wheel braces , the original OE one and a second old brace. The old brace is fractionally bigger and fits the stainless steel covers perfectly. The reason I carry the OE one is that it fits the locking nut tool correctly. I have no idea where the old one comes from but I have vtried to find a six point socket that fits as well without success.
by MGB281

Posted 4 weeks 22 hours ago #206993
Thanks thats answered my question about wheel nuts Len

Replied by Notanumber on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 20 hours ago #206996
Are there any decent locking wheel nuts available for our cars ?

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 15 hours ago #206997
I taught my wife & kids to drive & one proviso was that amongst other regular maintenance jobs which they undertook to undertake, that was to change a wheel.
That wasn’t a problem for my lad, he’s built like two shit houses the girls had bother with the inadequate brace. I bought telescopic braces which came with reversible a 19 / 17mm six flat socket.
The kids still have theirs & I use my wife’s redundant offering.
The socket indexes perfectly on the wheel nuts & the extended arm makes short work of the nuts, which are tweeked up as per the recommendations, when within reach of the torque wrench.
As far as locking wheel nuts are concerned the McGuards are about the most cost effective.
I’ve been party to garages abusing these with high torque guns & I’ve never seen a failure although I’ve heard the sound of metal being tortured to a worrying degree.
M

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 2 hours ago #207001
I also gave up on McGard locking wheel nuts after this particularly painful episode.

After a visit to a tyre shop where apparently a silverback gorilla had tightened my wheel nuts up, I was unaware of impending disaster.
Trying to remove one of the McGard lockers I had to exert so much force that the keyway sheered off completely!:oops:
Now because I had gone for the super McGards with the spinning body I couldn't hammer on a multipoint socket so was left with drilling the damned thing off. Of course they are made of very hard material and this took some time even with cadmium coated drills.

Anyway, wanting to see my progress, I blew all the swarf out, but forgot to close my eyes.:slapme: Anyway after a trip to A&E they managed to succesfully remove the metal shaving imbedded in my eyeball.:omg:

Hence, locking wheel nuts binned!

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:4 weeks 2 hours ago by David Aiketgate
Last edit: 4 weeks 2 hours ago by David Aiketgate.

Replied by Cobber on topic WHEEL NUTS

Posted 4 weeks 59 minutes ago #207004

I also gave up on McGard locking wheel nuts after this particularly painful episode.
Hence, locking wheel nuts binned!

As well they should be........they are the nuts of Satan!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:4 weeks 58 minutes ago by Cobber
Last edit: 4 weeks 58 minutes ago by Cobber.

Posted 4 weeks 56 minutes ago #207005
Hello Ive finally finished the brakes rear have new calipers new discs and new pads ,front have recon calipers new discs and new pads Ive also bled the brakes and pedal movement is excellent .At least I can stop once I have it on the road Len

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds