MG Quiz

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37175
You called Sir :woohoo: - No I've just got in so will have lunch (Please note it is Lunch not Dinner as it is only one course (of course) due to my late arrival home from golf and the fact it is self service from the microwave. SWMBO is out at Bridge and the Butler out with the Au Pair) One must keep up appearances you know :yesnod:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The topic has been locked.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37176

MartinW wrote: After the merger, the engines used in the MG range included:

1. B Series
  2. ~ ZA Magnette October 1953, then ZB, MGA, MGA Twin Cam, MGA 1600, Magnette MK3 & Mk4, MGA 1600 Mk2, MGB (3 bearing ) MGB (5 bearing)

3. A Series
  4. ~ 1961 MG Midget, then ADO16 MG 1100/1300 in 1962 and the A plus in MG Metro in 1982.

5. C Series
  6. ~ July 1967 in MGC

7. Rover V8
  8. ~ MGB GT in 1973 to 1976 using the P5 engine

9. O Series
  10. ~ MGB in September 1972 (two only) Maestro 2.0 , 2.0i, EFi, Turbo and Montego Turbo

11. K/KV6 Series
  12. ~ 1990 Rover 100 Metro 1.1 litre and 1.4 litre, MGF 1995, MGTF, MGMX10, ZR, ZS, ZT,

13. Ford V8
  14. ZTT using the 4.8 litre ford mercury engine.

15. N Series
  16. ~ NAC MGTFs LE500 onwards.

17. TCi-TECH
  18. ~ MG6 - 1.8 litre turbo April 2011

HOW IS THAT THEN????? :-? :bust: :coat:

Can you identify the model ranges that used these engines? (Don't worry to type each individual model, just put, for example, the ZR/S/T range, or in certain instances state the actual model that used that engine.)

If you are feeling really clever, state the capacities used as in some cases these engines were available in smaller capacities but not used in MG models.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MartinW

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37178
Brilliant, just two missing that I can see!
by MartinW

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37180

Mr Forgetful wrote: You called Sir :woohoo: - No I've just got in so will have lunch (Please note it is Lunch not Dinner as it is only one course (of course) due to my late arrival home from golf and the fact it is self service from the microwave. SWMBO is out at Bridge and the Butler out with the Au Pair) One must keep up appearances you know :yesnod:

Your turn to fill in the missing ones, my brain hurts :yesnod:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37230
Have I stalled things? Is Mr Forgetful out to lunch early?
by MartinW

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37231

MartinW wrote: Is Mr Forgetful out to lunch?

Almost certainly! :bust: ;)

David
:shrug:

Replied by John Newey on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37245
Me being a MG and V8 nut notices that the MGR V8 is missing from the "Rover V8" section and that the MG ZT and ZT-T both used the 2 valve Ford 4.6 litre V8, but also the MG X-Power SV used a 4.6 litre Ford Cobra 4 valve V8 and the SV-R used a 5.0 litre Ford Cobra V8 engine modified by Sean Hyland Motorsport of Canada. THe SV-S used a 4.6 litre Ford Cobra 4 valve V8 engine with a Rousch Supercharger (the 5.0 was too high a compression ratio to supercharge)

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37246
Well done, John, so over to you to set the next question!
by MartinW

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37257

John Newey wrote: Me being a MG and V8 nut notices that the MGR V8 is missing from the "Rover V8" section and that the MG ZT and ZT-T both used the 2 valve Ford 4.6 litre V8, but also the MG X-Power SV used a 4.6 litre Ford Cobra 4 valve V8 and the SV-R used a 5.0 litre Ford Cobra V8 engine modified by Sean Hyland Motorsport of Canada. THe SV-S used a 4.6 litre Ford Cobra 4 valve V8 engine with a Rousch Supercharger (the 5.0 was too high a compression ratio to supercharge)

Thank you for adding the missing ones, i did think of the RV8 and the SV-R afterwards but thought i would let someone else finish it off. Another MGB & GT that used the Rover V8 was the 270 odd Costellos, which should go in because they and the V8 that Roger Parker converted were the inspiration that made MG produce their V8.

I thought it was a great question and found out so much more information about the Austin engineering that all of the A,B,C & O series engines were based on and we all know that the K series came from Honda!

Look forward to your new question :thumbsup:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37263

bryan young wrote: ...and we all know that the K series came from Honda!

:omg: You're such a tease! ;)
by MartinW
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Replied by John Newey on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37281
Ok, just spotted I've been asked to set a new question. How many different types of Octagonal front and rear badges were fitted to the MG X-Power SV (including the prototypes) and why?
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37391
:unsure: This is a real shot in the dark, as I hate to see the MG Quiz languishing quietly on it's own, unloved, bereft of new posts for almost 24 hours, so here goes nothing. :bust:

OK John sets another MG SV question, perhaps your tastes are just too rich for us cheap run around, topless two seater brigade John :lol:

Well what a stinker this question is. I have not come across any discussion of this topic, so as I said, this is just a shot in the dark.

How many different badges, I will have a stab at in a bit, first why so many badges?

I think this is down to the number of 'owners' the car has had. The project began life under MG Rover as the X80 project. MG X80 Ltd., was set up to produce the new model based on the Qvale Mangusta.
The MG X80 was originally revealed as a concept car in 2001. However, the styling was considered too sedate and when the production model, now known as the XPower SV – was revealed to the press on 22 October 2002, the car's styling was radically changed, giving a more aggressive appearance.
In 2007 William Riley bought XPower SV-related assets from the administrators of MG Rover. Riley formed MG Sports and Racing Europe Ltd to continue production of the model. In April 2008, MG Sports and Racing Europe, announced the relaunch of the XPower SV under the name MG XPower WR.

:dry: Possibly this is the reason for the 'why'?

OK now the first bit last, how many different types of Octagonal front and rear badges were fitted to the MG X-Power SV (including the prototypes)

The X80 had a red on chrome? design

Having looked at all the pictures of SV's I could find in the space of 30 mins here are the various ones I've found;

This SV has what appears (in the colouring at least) to be a more traditional MG badge on the front. The metal polished badge on a silver car hardly stands out and is reminiscent of the faded MG badge often seen on TF's :P
This one below also appears to have some colour to it, not just polished metal.

This one I have seen as a badge on it's own many times and suspect it is a cheap copy produced on the back of the MG XPower name by someone for sale on ebay to the wannabes?
The 'original' badge is, I believe, a highly polished alloy badge and not a chrome plated one.

Well there you go, a why, plus I'll put a number on the octagonal badges used of......... :whistle: ......... :pinch: ..... :nonod: .... .8 :unsure:

After John shoots me down in flames I'll wish I'd kept away from this one :bust:
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tsleight
Time to create page: 0.681 seconds