• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37712
This has opened a can of worms

see here . This site has photo's of the car and states that it went to the USA on the Queen Mary to be displayed at the 1962 New York motor show.

Think we need to get that chassis number checked
by PQD44
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37713
Issa not sure about that Bwana - I think the confusions is that the 100000th MG was a MGA, but built in 1956 and a LHD 1500?

The 100000th MGA was a Gold LHD 1600 built in 1962 just before MGA production finished?

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/news/news698.html re most of the information.

http://chicagolandmgclub.com/driveline00/0208/mga100000.html re 100000th MGA

Anyway, what the heck, who cares, what a wonderful way to spend Sunday night!!! :yesnod:

I'll set a question whilst you all ponder the correct answers whatever and before John gives me another headache with the SV-R whatever. :woohoo:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37714

Shall I set a question or are we still in debating mode? :-?

Problem is the question will get lost with all the discussions.

I know - I'll get up early (well about 8.30) - before I go to golf, and I'll post one then IF you all agree.

No Alternative Voting please, straight Yes or No or No Idea. Is that OK?? :yesnod:

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37715
I have found a photo of the 100,000 MG to be made on the production line at Abingdon with a date of 16 May 1956 on a plackard on the windscreen and it looks like white or another light colour .It is a LHD 1500. So the gold one in America is NOT the 100,000 MG to be made.

Thank you Mr Forgetful for keeping this up and querying the facts.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37716
Sorry for causing confusion :oops:

There are in fact two 100,000 MGA's

This one

Which is the 100,000 MG to be made, a LHD MGA 1500 made 16 May 1956

Then there is the 100,000 MGA to be made, a LHD MGA 1600 MkII made in 1962

So I can now get some sleep knowing that an early production MGA was the 100,000th MG built, and that only about 6 years later, a Mk II is the 100,000th MGA produced.

For further details on this topic click this link

Simple when you know..............ok nothing to see here, move along please
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Mr Forgetful

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37725
Good Morning to all Girls and Gents (and any Hermaphrodite - no offence meant), watching,

Your clues for the next question - hopefully not too difficult. If anyone gets the full set before I get back from Golf at about 4.00pm please feel free to post the next one (Brian, TSL, PQD, David, Martin, Rog et al) :woohoo:

It was a heart breaking year for some, although for others, it would prove to be a hit :-?

Those are the non MG clues and, of course the picture.

What did MG do that was contrary to their normal proceedure, where, who decided and why.

Told you it was simple :yesnod:

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37732
1956. MG were not supposed to be in motorsport, but John Thornley asked Peter Scott-Russell to drive an MGA (MJB167) with co-driver Tom Haig in the 1956 Mille Miglia. Peter asked for the MGA to be painted red to confuse the locals into thinking it was one of their own cars so that they would open the gates on the level crossings as the MGA was coming towards them, whereas the locals would refuse to help if the cars were painted any other colour. Also in the race was a second MGA (MBL 867) driven by Nancy Mitchell and Pat Faichney.

Quote:
The specification of the cars was very close to production spec., with the addition of long range fuel tanks with quick-release filler caps, oil coolers, ventilated brake drums, and a higher axle ratio. The full width windscreen was removed and aero screens fitted. Tommy Wellman recalls that the cylinder heads were modified with `SK' inlet ports, bronze valve guides and nimonic valves, with some time spent selecting evenly matched valve springs from production batches. In addition to drilling the brake drums, small scoops were fitted to each hole to draw air through the drums. A small oil tank was fitted on the passengers side with a hand pump, one stroke pushing 1/4 pint oil into the engine, to save time during refuelling stops. Wire spoke 60 spoke wheels were fitted with Dunlop racing tyres which caused some comment at scrutineering when some `experts' kicked the sidewalls saying, too hard, too hard! From Abingdon, Marcus Chambers, Doug Watts, Tommy Wellman and Alec Hounslow travelled out in Morris Oxford Traveller and A90 cars to look after servicing the two cars.

Source: http://www.mgcars.org.uk/mgcc/sf/980407.htm

So in summary they went racing without the knowledge of Leonard Lord, painted the cars red instead of BRG to confuse the locals and all this sanctioned by John Thornley.
by MartinW
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44, Mr Forgetful

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37734
In case Mr Forgetful is already under par, then I will bodly add the next question on the assumption the above is right.

I will keep it simple for now but a quick Google search revealed that in the same year (1956) another instance of change occured for the B Series engines in 1957. A clue is the fact that an article was referenced in one of the recent posts relating to this and it affected all B Series engines for 1957.

What was the change?
by MartinW

Replied by John Newey on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37739
Sorry for the long delay-went home and wasn't allowed to play on the computer after dinner! Anyway PQD44-you are right! I was thinking for a while that I'd have to bow to Brian's superior knowledge (cos I thought it was Rover 214 too!). Anyway, your list of K series engines was in far more detail than I expected, but though you did add 2.5KV6, you forgot the 2.0KV6. Apart from that top marks. Over to you again (if I'm not too late?)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, PQD44

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37769
Well done MartinW - the It was a heart breaking year for some, although for others, it would prove to be a hit was, of course, The Suez Crisis and Heatbreak Hotel - The first No1 for Elvis (and yes I know it was not his first record!!) :dry:

All the rest was as requested. Excellent :broon:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37771
My bad! I got the Heartbreak Hotel bit which was I figured out it was 1956, but forgot to add that to the answer.

Anyway, just in case it got lost above, here's the new question again.

I will keep it simple for now but a quick Google search revealed that in the same year (1956) another instance of change occured for the B Series engines in 1957. A clue is the fact that an article was referenced in one of the recent posts relating to this and it affected all B Series engines for 1957.

What was the change?
by MartinW
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #37773
Besides the MGA being fitted with the 1500 B Series engine in 1957, the other change to occur that year was in the numbering system used for the engine.

Pre 1957, the engine numbers were of the style "BP15GB" followed by a serial number, where:

B = B series engine
P = Pushrod
15 = capacity
G = MG (for full list see Later numbering system below)
The final letter is the version of the engine.

From 1957–70 numbers were of the style "15GB-U-H" plus a serial number, where:

15 = capacity
G = MG (other letters were: A = Austin, B = Industrial, H = Miscellaneous, J = Commercial, M = Morris, R = Riley, V = Vanden Plas and W = Wolseley )
B = B series engine
U = Central gear change (other letters were: A = Automatic, M = Manumatic clutch, N = Column change, O = Overdrive and P = Police)
H = High compression (alternatively L = Low compression)
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young
Time to create page: 0.714 seconds